Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu 16.10 VMhangs with grey screen before getting to login prompt

Beans

Lubuntu 16.10 VMhangs with grey screen before getting to login prompt

I've been running Lubuntu 16.10 in an ESXi VM for a couple of years. I needed to expand the boot disk size, and managed to do this by booting to a Gparted ISO. Now the OS will not boot to the UI - I get past the Lubuntu splash screen but then I just get a grey screen. I can TTY into it, I just can't get the GUI.
    Any ideas for how I can fix this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lubuntu 16.10 VMhangs with grey screen before getting to login prompt

No reason to bother solving this issue. Support for 16.10 ended in mid-2017. Please move to a supported release.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    Review the "standard support" column for when free support ends.

You could check the fstab and blkid are still correct.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 27th, 2019 at 08:06 PM.

Beans

fstab problem sounds likely, but I have no idea what may be wrong with it, or how to fix it (I'm a Linux noob). My fstab is pretty vanilla:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    /dev/sda1               /               ext4            errors=remount-ro      0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    /dev/sda5               swap            swap            sw              0       0
    and this is what I get when I run blkid:
    Code:
    /dev/sr0: UUID="2017-10-11-10-08-40-00" LABEL="GParted-live" TYPE="udf" PTUUID="2d876634" PTTYPE="dos"
    /dev/sr1: UUID="2017-10-11-10-08-40-00" LABEL="GParted-live" TYPE="udf" PTUUID="2d876634" PTTYPE="dos"
    Can anyone suggest how to diagnose/fix?

The terminal at startup includes this error:
    Code:
    XOpenDisplay("") failed
    Trying again with XAUTHLOCALHOSTNAME=localhost
    ***XOpenDisplay("") failed. No -display or DISPLAY
    ***Trying ":0" in 4 seconds

Beans

Hmmm...according the the df command it looks like /dev/sda1 has been mounted, but not /dev/sda5 (which is where the swap partition should be)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

swap isn't "mounted" in a way you'll see in df. Unimportant.
    The lack of UUIDs being used in the fstab and that blkid isn't showing any for those partitions **is** an issue.

More reasons to move to a supported LTS release.
    Not worth trying to fix.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Moved to Virtualisation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    swap isn't "mounted" in a way you'll see in df. Unimportant.
    The lack of UUIDs being used in the fstab and that blkid isn't showing any for those partitions **is** an issue.

More reasons to move to a supported LTS release.
    Not worth trying to fix.
    I'm not seeing how moving to a supported release would help. Would an in-place upgrade fix the blkid issue and restore the broken XWindows system? It would almost certainly break some other aspects of my setup, which is why I don't have time to routinely upgrade to each new release.

Can someone clarify - is this forum strictly limited to support for current releases? If so, where would be the best place to pose general Ubuntu/Linux support queries which are not release-dependent?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

If you don't like release-upgrading every 6-9 months, stick to LTS or long-term-support releases, which have 5 years of support for main Ubuntu (desktop, server) or 3 years for flavors like Lubuntu. Had you have installed Lubuntu 16.04 LTS, it was supported from 2016-April until 2019-April .

Stack Exchange's Unix & Linux I don't believe has rules about EOL releases; but older releases are harder because software changes, `man` pages are no longer easily accessed due to EOL status of your release, so it takes more effort, may require some guess work (eg. we do have 16.04's manual pages, and 18.04's but not the EOL releases between) thus is more likely to consist of errors. Sticking to LTS releases does make support easier if you don't like the regular release-upgrades.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Upgrades are not really a viable option for you as you would have to go first to 17.04 then from there to 17.10 and finally to 18.04, and as the repos are no longer active, or not in their usual place anyway, you would be working entirely with EOL repos. This would be a long and tedious activity, and very prone to problems which will be just as difficult to solve as this 16.10 problem.

Do yourself a big favour and do a clean install of 18.04 in place of your 16.10 VM; alternatively keep your 16.10 and add 18.04 to the list of VMs you have, assuming that is possible with ESXi, about which I know nothing at all having used VirtualBox only.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Upgrades are not really a viable option for you as you would have to go first to 17.04 then from there to 17.10 and finally to 18.04, and as the repos are no longer active, or not in their usual place anyway, you would be working entirely with EOL repos. This would be a long and tedious activity, and very prone to problems which will be just as difficult to solve as this 16.10 problem.

Do yourself a big favour and do a clean install of 18.04 in place of your 16.10 VM; alternatively keep your 16.10 and add 18.04 to the list of VMs you have, assuming that is possible with ESXi, about which I know nothing at all having used VirtualBox only.
    Thanks for your reply. If I do a clean install of 18.04 is there a fairly straightforward way of migrating my existing packages from the old to the new platform? I have a Home Assistant and Mosquitto-MQTT running in Docker containers and also a Mediawiki site. I set these up years ago, and it would be painful to work out how to re-install it all.
    This was very much intended as a "set and forget" server, so the need to upgrade regularly due to the unavailability of legacy repositories to fix things when they break is a real problem for me, particularly as I have extremely limited Linux expertise and not a whole lot of time to devote to keeping the platform running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast