Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu 16.10 VMhangs with grey screen before getting to login prompt

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Lubuntu 16.10 VMhangs with grey screen before getting to login prompt

Sorry but "Home Assistant and Mosquitto-MQTT running in Docker containers and also a Mediawiki site" means very little to me and I do not know them, nor how they are set up in a Ubuntu OS, so I'm afraid you will have to await a reply from someone else who is more able to help with those questions.

I have been using a separate /home partition for many years so a clean install is possible without losing any of my own folders or files; any edits I have made to system files are noted and kept in backups in my /home so they can be restored if necessary.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

My favorite way of 'skipping' releases (or going backwards; eg. back to a prior LTS) is to backup obviously, boot installer-ISO, and use the 'something else' option (it's called Manual Partitioning in modern Lubuntu) and select my partitions and ensure I don't have format selected.

The installer takes note of your installed apps, wipes system directories (doesn't touch your /home), installs the system, then adds back the software you've added if available for the new release in the repositories. It works very well with Ubuntu repos, wasn't intended for 3rd party sources and I haven't used it with containers. Key to this is not selecting format. (it disables PPA's or 3rd party; you just let this run and fix the 3rd party stuff yourself if you still need it)

If you want a 'set and forget', you should use a LTS or long-term-support release; ie. had you used 16.04 LTS it is still supported (~21 months of life left), and release-upgrading that is easy (longer grace applies to LTS and you can always opt to switching to ESM). Using a non-LTS release was a mistake.
    Last edited by guiverc; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:38 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ianmanning View Post
    This was very much intended as a "set and forget" server, so the need to upgrade regularly due to the unavailability of legacy repositories to fix things when they break is a real problem for me, particularly as I have extremely limited Linux expertise and not a whole lot of time to devote to keeping the platform running.
    Wish that someone would have told me I didn't need to do backups or patch weekly. Life would have been so much easier these last decades.

I want what you have!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12