Thread: Damaged package unable to install Ubuntu

Beans

Question Damaged package unable to install Ubuntu

In an attempt to upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 to Ubuntu 18 I have completely crashed the system.

The problem initially started with Ubuntu 16 acting weird (after the attempted installation), I was able to login to the OS but certain folders were inaccessible and I couldn't drag windows around the screen and finally the sidebars and top bar vanished. Afterwards I restarted the PC, which made matters worse, whenever I attempt to login I'm shown a black screen then redirected back to the login screen. Now whenever I attempt to login it display a black screen and nothing else.

So the only way to use the terminal is through the login screen (CTRL + ALT + F1). I have attempted a fresh install using 2 different usb drives, both 16 gb in size 1 is 3.0 and the other is 2.0.

Whenever I attempt to install a new version I get the following error. ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Method parse/execution failed [\SHAD._STA.SDSO] , AE_NOT_FOUND

So it seems the only way to resolve the issue is through the command prompt which again is only accessible through he login screen as I cannot login to ubuntu.

These are the commands I have attempted to use in order to fix this strange issue.

1)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    . Returns expected results. Where as
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    states E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

2)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade -f
    after I press y to download some packages and upgrade others it returns an error.

Errors were encountered while processing: /var/cache/apt/archives/libglx-mesa0_19.0.2-1ubuntu1.1~18.04.02_amd64.deb

E: Sub-process /ust/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

3) In order to solve this issue I attempt to purge the corrupt package
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge libglx-mesa0
    . Which in turn returns an error stating.

E: Unmet dependencies try apt-get -f install with no packages (or specify a solution).

4) I try the command above
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    , which states that there are 67 upgraded, 125 newly installed, 13 to remove and 464 not upgraded.

150 not fully installed or removed.
    I continue by pressing y.

It gives me the same error in step 2.

5) Other commands I try include.
    Code:
    sudo apt --fix-broken install
    and
    Code:
    sudo  apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-overwrite" install --fix-broken
    both of which give the same error

I'm open to suggestion and appreciate any help, I don't have important files on the PC so if any potential solution include completely formatting content that's alright I just want to be ableto use the PC again

Beans

Re: Damaged package unable to install Ubuntu

Try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Beans

Re: Damaged package unable to install Ubuntu

Regarding that ACPI error when trying to install you might find that booting the installation DVD/USB with the acpi=off or noacpi boot parameter works. Or possibly, but less likely acpi=strict. More here about how to do that and other boot options:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions