Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many use a wireless mouse and keyboard?

Beans

How many use a wireless mouse and keyboard?

I have never used a wireless mouse or keyboard in my life. When it first came out, I was suspicious of it, and as it turned out, I was right to be suspicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NL2lEomB_Y

When my friends came into my room and saw my wired mouse and keyboard, they asked me why I haven't switched to wireless stuff since it's more convenient, I told them I was afraid that the wireless signal could be breached and they just laughed and as it turns out I was right!
    Last edited by ardouronerous; July 24th, 2019 at 05:19 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: How many use a wireless mouse and keyboard?

I do. Nobody gets within 50 feet of my computers without my knowing. I would not use one in an office environment or if I lived in tight quarters with neighbors, such as apartment buildings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use an Apple Magic Trackpad 2. If someone hacks that I'll hire them to add all the functions that are currently missing from libinput.
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

RF is hackable. Period. As tiny chips become more powerful, hopefully, some of the RF device makers will finally take security seriously. But that will raise the costs and complexity, so it won't happen.

Most people are sheep. Until they see it for themselves, they will downplay the real risks. Remember when nobody uses HTTPS for social networks, including passwords? Then someone built a tiny tool to post logins, passwords, and the posts people were making using something called "the wall of sheep?" Same thing applies to poorly encrypted RF data, which includes most currently available WPA2 connections, BTW.
    https://www.wallofsheep.com/pages/wall-of-sheep
    https://thehackernews.com/2018/07/bl...erability.html - dont trust bluetooth anything. I love finding a BT speaker in a hotel.

As 1 weakness it plugged, in these complex devices, seems there are 10 more waiting.

With all RF/wireless communications, security can only effectively be achieved using a VPN on top of whatever the current protocol provides.

I only wish I had a tinfoil hat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

We use desktop computers around the house so pointless to have anything computer related wireless.

The next bad thing about wireless mouse and wireless keyboard are more batteries that need to be replaced.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I use wired but not for security reasons. I live in a house and am probably 50-75 feet from any neighbors. I just hate wireless; keyboards, mice, networking. Call me old school but no batteries for me
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I have wireless keyboards and mice on a couple of machines. One pair is connected to the computer attached to my TV across the room.

I also use rechargeable batteries. One keyboard has an embedded battery that uses a micro-USB port to charge.

I'm a lot less paranoid about snooping than some people here. I live in an apartment in a nice suburban neighborhood. I can't imagine anyone cares what I'm typing on my wireless keyboard or would have a clue how to intercept the signal.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 25th, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I do. Nobody gets within 50 feet of my computers without my knowing. I would not use one in an office environment or if I lived in tight quarters with neighbors, such as apartment buildings.
    +1!

At best these Logitech mice and keyboards have 25 to 30 feet of range (realistically more like 15 to 20 feet) so if they're that close to my pc they're pretty much close enough to physically steal the whole darn thing. I do sometimes use my laptop in a McDonalds or in a Walmart parking lot but I'm just using the built-in keyboard and touchpad.

I certainly wouldn't want to do any banking or such on a public network. Then again I did once use the local libraries network when somebody dug up a 300 pair cable across the street. I then immediately changed all of my passwords when my own network was back up and running.

Is there such a thing as a 100% safe connected computer system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I use a RF Logitech mouse/keyboard regardless of the paranoia nonsense.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It's not like wired keyboards are secure; you can eavesdrop on wired keyboards from 65 feet away, through a wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast