Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LIve DVD Login & Password???? (SOLVED)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LIve DVD Login & Password???? (SOLVED)

I've been trying for two days now to install Ubuntu Mate 18.4.2 x32 bit in a Dell 4300 x32bit desktop that was previously running Linux Mint 17.3 x32, but I'm having major problems getting past the login screen because I don't know the username and password and haven't been able to find it on internet search?? BTW, this is the first time I've encountered this? FYI I did an install of Ubuntu Mate 18.4.2 x64 on two other systems here that were running Mint 17.3 and didn't see the login screen on either of those?

So, I was thinking there was something wrong with that ISO image I burned to that DVD so I went and downloaded Ubuntu Mate 18.4.2 AGAIN (on my metered service Sprint hot spot) only to find out that it's doing the exact same thing as the original one did, ie, boots to the login screen that I can't get past????

So could someone please explain to me WHY all of a sudden the Live DVD username and login has appeared and does anyone know what the username and login is suppose to be for that system??

Thanks,

Ken
    Last edited by ken0069; July 22nd, 2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Solved
    Stuff doesn't just happen, it's usually caused by something!

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: LIve DVD Login & Password????

I think you must have logged out which is why you're being asked for a password to log back in.

As far as I know the user-name is ubuntu-mate. There is no password.

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try ubuntu-mate for username and leave the password blank.
    This should still hold:
    https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/live...assword/7219/2

edit: That^^^
    ninja'd
    Last edited by deadflowr; July 21st, 2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nope! Ubuntu Mate doesn't work and neither does ubuntu-mate or ubuntumate with and without caps on the first letter of those words. I've done a bunch of searching and used everything I could find but still can't login.

And this one doesn't work either. https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/live...assword/7219/2

Oh, and FYI this login screen shows up as the desktop when LIVE DVD FINISHES BOOTING so there is no way I could log out when I never logged in.
    Last edited by ken0069; July 21st, 2019 at 07:12 PM.

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ken0069 View Post
    Oh, and FYI this login screen shows up as the desktop when LIVE DVD FINISHES BOOTING
    I've no idea why that is happening. It's not something that I've ever seen.

I've just booted into an Ubuntu MATE live session and checked both the GUI log-in and tty log-in. The user-name is definitely ubuntu-mate, i.e. all in lower-case. No password required.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So could someone please explain to me WHY all of a sudden the Live DVD username and login has appeared
    An X crash will do that: automatically logs in, X crashes, back to the login screen as the first thing that gets shown when X restarts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So what would cause an "X" crash then, whatever that is?

Like I said, that Dell has been running Linux Mint 17.3 for a while now but it's at end of life is the reason I was going to Ubuntu Mate 18.4.2, which I like because of the minimal install it will do without all the useless junk of a full install.

The "ubuntu-mate" username login does not work. One thing I haven't done is try to boot from that DVD in something else to see if the same junk shows up. I'll try that later on this evening and let you know how that works out.

Thanks for the input guys!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

So what would cause an "X" crash then, whatever that is?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

Pretty much anything. It's crufty and creaky and fragile and 35 years old, and no display device manufacturer is especially inclined to be forthcoming with details of their implementation nor to strictly follow the best practices of software used by a tiny proportion of their customers.

The "ubuntu-mate" username login does not work.
    By "does not work" I take it that you mean "goes back to the login screen," rather than saying, "incorrect user name or password," since you haven't said.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would suspect that the source of the ISO isn't reputable or has corrupted the installer. I've never seen a live boot Ubuntu-Mate require a login. It should boot to a desktop. To get back to it, just reboot, don't try to logout and login.

Check the sha256 sums for the ISO file used with the official Ubuntu-Mate ISO sha256 sums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

FYI, ISO image came from an FTP server called heanet.ie.....twice, downloaded using Filezilla? Don't think there's any more reputable than that one.

Ennywho, that DVD DID boot normally on another system so I'm assuming it's not the disk/ISO Image.

Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with some different hardware (DVD drive and Video card) to see if that has any effect on it. I've also got an ISOs of Linux Mint-mate 18.3 and Mint-Mate 19.1 that I'll try as well.

Again...........Thanks for taking the time to help with this guys!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast