Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password problems

Beans

Password problems

Hi
    First many thanks to the community for this nice release 19.04 that worked first time dual boot on my Beelink BT3pro.
    I used my usual password ,common with all my windows machines.
    I was told when installing that it was too weak.
    By chance I didn't change it as later it was asked lots of times.
    I also created another account
    My idea was to give it a strong password and then to remove admin rights
    to my usual account.
    But ,for a start, I gave it an even weaker password.
    Being French I thought it a good idea to choose french for this account.
    This is bad as many graphical error messages are truncated and/or hard to understand.
    To make a long story short it seems that in the accounts parameters windows
    when admin is selected it is grayed so it is easy to end with no admin at all.
    The problem I am left with is that when connecting to a samba share I am always asked
    for name and password in spite of the fact that "remember for ever is selected".
    It seems related to the fact that each time I am also asked for a password for something called
    "trousseau de clé" that seems to mean key ring and none of the ones I ever used works.
    All this is very time consuming and I hope there is a simple solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Password problems

I can only guess that different programs support of UTF8 characters can be different, based on configuration and programming. I have no proof, it is just a theory. I don't use the "key ring" that is built-into Ubuntu, so I'm completely unfamiliar with that aspect.

I would look for unicode/utf8 settings in every tool. For example, Samba has specific unicode and utf8 support options.
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/disco/+source/samba says that samba v4.10.x is used. That means this https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/4.1...mb.conf.5.html is the relevant documentation.
    There is a setting for unicode and unix charset.

No idea if this will help with anything else. I don't use the GUI much. Sorry.

Hopefully, someone with direct experience will post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

On my laptop, since I'm the only person who will ever use it, I use a 4-character password. Makes logging in and entering my password a lot faster. You'll be told that it's a "short password," but it'll accept it.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    On my laptop, since I'm the only person who will ever use it, I use a 4-character password. Makes logging in and entering my password a lot faster. You'll be told that it's a "short password," but it'll accept it.
    If you have **any** remote connection protocol enabled, this is terrible advice. Use samba? ssh? sftp? scp? sshfs? rsync? Any network backup tool? Terrible idea. Of course, if you don't do anything off the system and don't have any remote connection methods allowed or enabled, then any password isn't important.
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

This could be related to the keyboard layout. English is QWERTY, German is QWERTZ, French is AZERTY and so on.
    This is well-known also on Win systems. The BIOS default keyboard layout is US, but when getting deeper into login, the layout changes to your local setting, so a complete disconnect between the passwords happens.

Beans

Thanks for the replies.
    Unfortunately none worked.The Key Ring is still a mystery for me.
    The solution I found was to create a third user with admin rights.
    His Key ring password seems OK as I am never asked for it so I don't know what it is.
    So I'm left with 3 users with admin rights and very weak passwords.
    In the meantime the icon that allowed me to add or delete users has ceased to work .
    To say the least I'm not impressed with the security aspect of Ubuntu.
    On the other hand it is quite stable and recognized all my hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Well, Unix systems seldom use GUIs for user management. It is always handled from a shell with normal CLI tools.

The tools normally used are:
    Code:
    useradd      userdel      usermod
    groupadd  groupdel  groupmod
    Or is it
    Code:
    adduser addgroup deluser   delgroup
    I always get those mixed up and have to check the manpages for which are low-level and which are more convenient.

To fix your passwords, use the passwd command. 20+ characters, random, if you use any network protocols. Don't use the same passwords on different systems. Use keys for authentication whenever possible. Passwords are so 1990s. Using passwords is a security failure without 2FA.

I good beginner book that has a chapter on this stuff is http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php I've used that chapter in my Linux classes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    If you have **any** remote connection protocol enabled, this is terrible advice. Use samba? ssh? sftp? scp? sshfs? rsync? Any network backup tool? Terrible idea. Of course, if you don't do anything off the system and don't have any remote connection methods allowed or enabled, then any password isn't important.
    At 70, and living alone, I am 100% the only user at all, and I don't do any of those things. I do use grsync to do a local backup, of course.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I run 10-character password on host system and 6 on the guest for ease of use, with vpn and so far sleep good at night

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast