Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Password problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Password problems

@HK42....

have you tried to reset your password yet ??? it's not really that hard to do so...
    1. Boot into RECOVERY MODE
    2. Drop into the ROOT shell
    3. Type mount -o rw, remount /
    4. Type passwd and your username
    5. Type your new password twice
    6. Type exit
    7. Reboot

tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans

This will be outside-the-box and definitely incomplete. The basic idea is a script that removes the user's admin privileges after the user has accessed the samba share et cetera.
    I always wondered how programs like Tripwire and AIDE can check the integrity of files against a hash file that is encrypted without explicitly decrypting the hash file. Moreover, I do not think scripts are allowed to enter passwords for the user. I was thinking the script would (1) be executed by the user, (2) receive inputs from the user or his system, (3) process those inputs into a password, (4) change the admin password to it, (5) use the admin password again to remove the user's admin privileges.

Beans

Follow-up
    Under this system, you could essentially have sub-passwords and a master password, but the master "password" would actually be an encrypted "master file" that translates certain inputs into sub-passwords that are combined to form a larger password, the larger password being the next password in the rotation. The script might use something like the date, translating the date into the next password; or the script could ask for human input, trusting the human to know what the date is or whether he even wants to use the date again.

Beans

I ran a 7-character password with numbers and special symbols, works for me. Even though when I ran out of imagination I just use some Password Manager, for example, RoboForm https://www.bestadvisor.com/password-managers can be useful, if you dont have any thought about setting up a particular password.
    Last edited by blumkram; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:48 PM.

Beans

Thanks again for all your contributions.
    I think I found a solution to my keyring password problem:

In a text console using "Midnight Commander " as admin
    sudo mc
    I found a directory:
    /home/problemuser/.local/share/keyrings
    I renamed the 2 files in it as *BAD .(I think it would be better to move them in a new keyringsbad directory)
    Then back in graphic mode I connected to a samba share selecting "remember connection password for ever".
    This time (for the first time) I was asked to choose a password for my "Keyring".
    It seems that those files are not updated when using "recovery" in text mode as I did.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Be very careful using sudo for any GUI programs or for anything inside a users' HOME.
    If you need to use it for something like MC, use sudo -H mc to prevent any config/status files from being written to the wrong HOME.

If sudo is needed to handle any files inside a user's HOME, that is a failure. Someone used root or sudo incorrectly.

Beans

Yes you are right.
    In fact I just did the same thing on my other broken account and sudo isn't needed.
    It is just useful to look into other home directories to see any difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12