Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you a active forum member

Hybrid View

Beans

Why are you a active forum member

I guess I could lie and say thats its all about helping others, but it not. At least not my #1 reason. By helping others I help myself by keeping my linux knowledge base up to date. I took a 6 month break from the forum and was surprised how rusty I was when I returned. The forum for me is good for both the people I help and myself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why are you a active forum member

I'm using the forums to learn more about my OS but I'm helping others as I can even it's been a while since I made support

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Well -

I came to the forum years back in order to learn.
    Here it is now and I am still learning, and helping where I can

'buntu
    we are all in this together
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    I guess I could lie and say thats its all about helping others, but it not. At least not my #1 reason. By helping others I help myself by keeping my linux knowledge base up to date. I took a 6 month break from the forum and was surprised how rusty I was when I returned. The forum for me is good for both the people I help and myself
    There are many reasons.

1. The people here are interested in the same thing I am. Linux. Many of the Forums users aren't even Ubuntu users, but because most distributions work in similar ways, they like to hang out to discuss Linux and help those who need it.

2. This is probably the most knowledgeable forum on the internet, save for mabye Mensa.

3. It's a great feeling when you CAN help someone with an issue, and contribute back to the Linux community.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

I can attest to the going away, then coming back later to find myself very rusty. I was the most active from 2009 to 2011. I was an unemployed, full time student who had a Windows XP system and didn't want to pay for the upgrade to Windows 7. I was also very curious as to what this Linux thing was.

I like these forums because it is a great place to learn, to help others, and because the moderators and admins do a great job keeping the trolls in check.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    the moderators and admins do a great job keeping the trolls in check.
    Amen to that. Although one duck did get in, not that I care, but all their after is the coffee and doughnuts.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    ...I like these forums because it is a great place to learn, to help others, and because the moderators and admins do a great job keeping the trolls in check.
    ^^^Basically this ^^^. I first started using Ubuntu in 2007 and found this site a great source for info (mostly via google searches). I joined the site for the first time in 2010 by which time I could start helping others a bit, it was time to pay something back to the site which at that time helped me out the most with Linux OSes. Still going today though a bit limited in the scope of help I can give as I don't use the stock Gnome desktop environment.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm here for the coffee and donuts.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I'm here for the coffee and donuts.
    Mmm coffee. Mmm donuts.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!

Bring on the coffee!

I initially came to the forum, partly out of curiosity, and partly to search for ideas to help deal with an annoyance (sound not working after a fresh install) and later an inconvenience (mouse works for a while then stops). Both of my issues were easily solved, the first by applying updates, and the second with a small tweak to configuration.

Apart from the social side of things, there can be great satisfaction to be found in sometimes being able to help people address technical issues they're experiencing.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast