Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you a active forum member

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why are you a active forum member

I come here for support especially after I've upgraded a box or three. There's always those little issues and glitches to work out and this community is great for that.

I also try to help out some folks if I happen to know the answer. Usually after a month or so, I drop off until the next LTS hits and I do another round of upgrades.
    Current 'buntu systems: multiple systems running Server or Desktop 22.04 LTS / Retired or Upgraded: 18.04.2 LTS, Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 8.04 LTS
    Been using ubuntu since 6.04 (16 years!)

Beans

I like finding solutions and learning ... it's my evening hobby.(...and sometimes morning)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    the moderators and admins do a great job keeping the trolls in check.
    Amen to that. Although one duck did get in, not that I care, but all their after is the coffee and doughnuts.

Beans

For me it's both to help others and the social interaction. I enjoy helping people so here I am, for what that is worth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    I enjoy helping people so here I am, for what that is worth
    That's priceless to those in need of help. You get a upvote from me sevendogs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    ...I like these forums because it is a great place to learn, to help others, and because the moderators and admins do a great job keeping the trolls in check.
    ^^^Basically this ^^^. I first started using Ubuntu in 2007 and found this site a great source for info (mostly via google searches). I joined the site for the first time in 2010 by which time I could start helping others a bit, it was time to pay something back to the site which at that time helped me out the most with Linux OSes. Still going today though a bit limited in the scope of help I can give as I don't use the stock Gnome desktop environment.

Cheers, yeti.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guber2 View Post
    I like finding solutions and learning ... it's my evening hobby.(...and sometimes morning)
    Yes Ubuntu Forums is an helping and learning environment that's also fun.

I use other linux forums to find solutions, there are many out there, but this is the only one (IMO) that can be fun at the same time. Guess that's another reason I am a active member here and nowhere else.

Beans

I taught university earlier in my career and have always had a didactic streak!

The major reason I'm here, though, is because I feel the need to give back for using software for which I have paid the developers zero. I can't code in languages like C, so I'm not really able to contribute directly to open-source projects. Instead I contribute what I can by helping others learn and appreciate Linux.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like to help where I can. It is frustrating to have a problem and no one can help. Have had that experience a few times. The more I know, the more likely I can help.

I also have a bit to much free time due to my health. So I will even research questions people post on my own, both to hopefully find an answer, and expand my own knowledge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

+1
    “Freely you received, freely you give”.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast