Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stress tool will reboot immediatly

Beans

Unhappy stress tool will reboot immediatly

I think this might be some hardware problem but I'm not able to find any hint, perhaps someone knows. When starting the stress tool from the command line (actually the problem comes from some other scenario but I broke it down to this one) like stress -c 1 -t 10 it is executed as expected. stress -c 10 -t 10 will reboot IMMEDIATLY - no chance for overheat or anything. The real issue is with video encoding where indeed overheating may be the problem (around 90°C) but with stress this is definitly not the case.

Here is my hardware (with 18.04):
    * Shuttle Barebone DH310
    * Intel Core i7 8700 (6 Cores, 12 Threads)
    * 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM
    * 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD

I did some research on google but these came out unclear (to me!). It seems as if there may be a problem in the combination of (Shuttle, i7, Ubuntu).

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

Jochen

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: stress tool will reboot immediatly

Instability under load that isn't thermal is generally power.

Beans

Although this is quite old I would like to give an update just FYI: I switched the 90W power supply to a 120W part and at least with stress it looks as good as it should. I suspect it's a power consumption peak when the system quickly goes under full load.

Beans

"Funny" stuff: yes, this DID resolve the stress problem but the spontanous shutdown still happens during normal operation! According to the Shuttle support the specific version of my DH310 misses a "RAM update" which may show the described symptoms with some type of DDR4 modules. Currently I'm testing my options to get over this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does the output of "sensors" show any thermal issues. I have a similar issue but could never locate the problem. I do know using SSD's it occures. If I use hard drives, I never have issues.

Beans

No, there are no thermal indicators (happens even far below 60°C). I'll try to replace the RAM modules tomorrow as suggested by the Shuttle support. We'll see what happens
    Last edited by jms-1; May 10th, 2020 at 11:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I ran your stress test, mine didn't fail, but it fails on its own. No indication. All thermal within range. Mine might be my power supply. I'm very interested in your findings.

Beans

Using the RAM recommended by the Shuttle Support did change NOTHING - still crashing.

Beans

Interim: not really a solution but currently I need the system to be stable: I switched off "Turbo Boost" in the BIOS and had no unwanted reboot for a couple of days. stress no longer crashes the system - not really an information since I'm using the 120W power supply but in a short test the original 90W part now allows stress to run as well. So for single threaded applications I stuck to the 3.2GHz of my i7 instead of 4.6GHz, but but in most cases this is not an issuem - at least for me.
    Last edited by jms-1; May 18th, 2020 at 09:12 AM.

Beans

Currently it seems as if the Turbo Mode of the i7 8700 is responsible. What's your hardware?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast