Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

I am using Linux since 2007. I have never used a release till its eol.

I have always installed a different distro before the current reaches its eol.

This is the first time I will be using a distro till its eol.

I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?
    LUBUNTU 18.04
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU
    Ram 4GB
    Intel HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)

Beans

Re: I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

It's pretty much the same for me, have been using Linux on and off since '07 but my first try was around '99 -'00.
    For now and the foreseeble future it feels like Ubuntu is the place i want to be.

Beans

Kind of true for me as ubuntu was the first linux distro I used outside of education before I even realised there were distros. I've tried most of the other distros since I learned about them inc arch. I learnt a lot along the way, but everyday home use Ubuntu feels like the right place to be - at least Ubuntu mate. This feels like a slightly improved version of ubuntu in early 00.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm tempted to stop distro-hopping and forget about reinstalling Windows. Ubuntu was my very first Linux system tried when it was 10.10 since then I've been distro-hopping and going back and forth from system to system including trying the BSD systems and those like Haiku and ReactOS and going back to Windows and then back to Ubuntu. Personally I'm getting bored with distro-hopping and if steam remains workable on Ubuntu in the future then I'm very tempted to leave Ubuntu installed and stick with the operating system though would like more of my Windows games on steam to be ported to Linux which some will be like PAMELA but would like others ported like the Modern Warfare games etc. though that being said if Proton becomes better and the classic games goes full screen and the games that require .Net Framework become usable with Proton then I'll use Proton on Ubuntu with steam.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i will hop as soon as 32bit support dissapears or to word it better as soon a si can no longer run the applications i am currently running (games included).
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

I not only quit distro hopping, but went from Ubunutu 19.04 back to the Bionic.

I'm a happier now and have more time to play with the dog.
    regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm no longer a distro hopper, I just run a half dozen different Linux distros.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I'm no longer a distro hopper, I just run a half dozen different Linux distros.
    This.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I run four: Linux Lite (it's basically Xubuntu with lots of modifications), MX-19, antiX, and Salix. I run Linux Lite on a laptop just because I think it's absolutely best for newcomers to Linux and I use it to introduce people to Linux. MX-19 is about to take LL's place on that computer, I think, as it is equally newbie-awesome and lots more stable. When all the big fuss about systemd started, I looked at a couple of distros that are systemd-free, which is how I discovered my other two favorites, antiX and Salix (PCLinuxOS is also systemd-free but heavy and slow on my modest hardware). I use antiX to keep an ancient 32-bit machine alive and kicking, and it runs amazingly quick! The same is true of Salix, which is Slackware-based but with cool tools to keep it simple enough for a technophobic Ba'aku boy to use. I guess Salix is doing for Slackware what Ubuntu has done for Debian - make it easier for us "ordinary users." The community calls Salx, "for Lazy Slackers."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I stopped hopping distro's "technically," when I found out that Ubuntu seemed to cover the whole gamut...

What I mean by that is: I still like to play around with other distributions, but only for the Desktop Environment. I want to give Budgie, XFCE, Gnome-3, MATE, and KDE a try... and they are all available as different flavors of Ubuntu.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast