Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

Beans

Re: I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Distro hopping is not my thing. I find it more fun and interesting to roll my own. Something that seems not to be of interest to most people anymore

We have ISOs with vBox?
    I remember a time when it seemed like there was at least one post a day asking how to spin one's own version of ubuntu.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

In 13 years, I have never left Ubuntu, but I upgrade pretty regularly. My scientific computing stack has always been pretty cutting-edge, and the easiest way for me to get new releases of packages was to upgrade Ubuntu and let Canonical give me a pre-compiled binary. I can't tell you how agonizing it was to compile GROMACS myself three times. I would also have regular issues with CUDA that could usually be solved by upgrading.

That being said: the Ubuntu 19.04 desktop environment is TERRIBLE on my machines, and for the first time I'm seriously thinking about looking at other distros.

1) I can no longer drag and drop from the desktop.
    2) I can cut and paste, but there's a LONG pause when the file is moved.
    3) My $HOME folder has been given a permanent icon on the desktop that I don't want.
    4) The text interface to dialog boxes in many applications (e.g., GIMP) and even system apps like Nautilus has messed up in a very specific way. When you click inside text, the system thinks that you have selected a location one character to the RIGHT of the position that your eye tells you that you should be selecting.
    5) Finally: the Nautilus Save dialog box used by applications has an intermittent bug where you think you should be able to type the name of a file you want (the file name field at the top is in fact highlighted), but in fact you end up typing into a Search field which pops up underneath the Save field when you start typing. After three months of use, this is still getting me.

I'm thinking of leaving Ubuntu to shop for a functional GUI. I never thought I would say that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I just put my Linux Mint USB stick on the ground and hopped over it, does that count?
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans

There's ISOs with VirtualBox on them now? I didn't know that.
    Not Ubuntu, but a derivative called Linux Lite. The idea of putting extra software on the Live iso that is not for the user, but for reviewers (and thereby to benefit the developer) strikes me as kinda putting yourself ahead of the users. Perhaps I have misjudged him, so to be fair I haven't been critical of that decision other than to say I think it's weird. But that's a one-man show now, and I'm friends with a former developer for the project, and that too might be influencing my decision... Xubuntu, on the other hand, is community-developed and doesn't include a lot of "weird" stuff nor a whole lot of cruft. It's a sweet, fast distro and I will always be a fan of Xubuntu.

Plus, for all it's "newbie friendliness," LinuxLite just isn't "lite" anymore, and it's a one-man show, which kinda concerns me. Xubuntu has been and probably always will be the distro I run back home to after straying off because:

• I got scared of systemd after reading someone's panic-post about Robotic Overlords taking over Linux, or

• This other distro is new and shiny, or

• some Linux snob scolds me for using "a kiddie distro" (see here), or

• I got scared about systemd again because of the panicky stuff I read on some other web site

But I always end up back on Xubuntu, because it's simple, it's super-fast, perfect right-out-of-the-wrapper, already configured the way I like, and takes only a few minutes to install and/or upgrade. I'm a busy boy lately, and just don't have time to hop a lot.
    Last edited by Artim; July 28th, 2019 at 11:27 AM.

Beans

I'm thinking of leaving Ubuntu to shop for a functional GUI. I never thought I would say that.
    Try the other flavors! Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu. Same distro, different desktop! Gnome 3 has ticked a lot of users off, by the way, and many are looking at the other desktop environments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by john_ladasky View Post
    Might want to checkout Ubuntu Budgie, it uses Nemo for the file manager and desktop icons.

Beans

I've been hopping like a rabbit on coke, but I always come back to one of the Debian derivatives. I most recently switched from Debian Testing, and while I loved it, I needed some of the firmware and btrfs/ext4 filesystem improvements from kernel 5. (I've never had any luck with kernel compilation, despite the repos having an experimental build of 5.0 for use.)

While I'm a little uneasy about Canonical's historical corporate policy, Ubuntu is still free software and fundamentally respects my rights.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I like running multiple distros but I've never thought of myself as being a distro-hopper. I have a few distros (MX, BunsenLabs, GParted Live, etc.) on flash drives for the occassional live session, but I'm down to "only" 3 distros for installations:

Debian Stable
    Arch
    Kubuntu LTS

Beans

I am starting to think I am a distro hopper. I'm about to ditch Debian and move back to Ubuntu. Too many stupid things that have to be reconfigured to make apps work as intended.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I've been using Linux off and on for about 15 years, trying distro's, experimenting with this and that but have finally settled on Ubuntu 19.04. It's Fast and easy to use. I like that in an operating system.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast