Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

Beans

Re: I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

I have been using Linux for around 20 years. Mixed in there are about 3 years of FreeBSD. For servers, I still use FreeBSD. Been a hopper for 20 years and am getting sick of it. I have literally used most of the distros on distrowatch: some for minutes, some for hours, a very few for weeks or months. The ones I have used the longest are Gentoo (~3 years), Arch (years, not sure), FreeBSD (not Linux, maybe 2 years).

Settled on Ubuntu because frankly, it just works. My hardware is finicky (graphics stack) and very few things work well with it. I am also picky, but getting less and less so, because I just want my computer to work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I guess it depends on what you mean by a distro-hopper. VMs make it easy to try various distros without having to overwrite things, so I keep a Ubuntu variant on my main machine and spin up VMs as I feel like.

Where I'm not using Ubuntu, it's because of hardware requirements, so I'm not sure if that counts.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since 2008 I have been on Ubuntu, only twice I have been disloyal. With the first release of Unity, because the graphics did not work and with 18.04 because it needed too much memory and I needed that space in my 8GB 2008 HP dc5850 for my VMs and ZFS. In those cases I went to Xubuntu and Ubuntu Mate. Now I have a 16GB Ryzen 3 2200G and I'm back to Ubuntu 19.04, it has improved memory efficiency and it has the latest VEGA drivers.

I looked at 20-30 other distros in Virtualbox, but I stay on Ubuntu, because it is boringly reliable and I can start all my favourite Apps with one click. I like the Gnome switching between workspaces or in my case the switching between full screen Virtual Machines. My current PCs are:

• 16GB Ryzen 3 2200G main desktop with Ubuntu 19.04 minimal install runs ZFS and Virtualbox. My work is divided over 4 Virtual machines. Xubuntu 18.04 office, email, torrents, WhatsApp; Ubuntu 16.04 banking and paypall; Ubuntu 19.04 test and experiments; Windows XP music with Truebass and WOW effects.
    • 8GB i5-2520M laptop with Ubuntu Mate 18.04.2 runs ZFS and Virtualbox running the same VMs as the Ryzen. Used when on the road and as back-up of the desktop.
    • 8GB Phenom II X4 B97, the HP dc5850 with Ubuntu 18.04.2 runs ZFS. Used for vistors mostly (grand)children.
    • 1.25GB Pentium 4 HT backup server with FreeBSD 12 runs XFCE and ZFS, serving 2 IDE HDDs (320 / 250 GB; 3.5") and 1 SATA-1 HDD (320 GB; 2.5").

I boot and run all my machines with ZFS, but for 32-bits there is no good Linux solution, so I moved to FreeBSD and I'm impressed. Their installer supports booting from ZFS Raids and it works perfectly with that ancient hardware. I control the headless Backup Server through XRDP or the ssh-X server. I prefer XRDP, because it displays Conky nicer.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have used ubuntu as my primary OS since 2009. Gone are the days of Jaunty Jackalope and Karmic Koala, which were both my favorite releases. I think I used Mint for a couple years as something with 10.04 being very buggy on my system. I thrived with Unity while others blew fuses. That said, I may still have one hop left. I've gotten both of my laptops squared away with Debian 10 and am working up the nerve to go for it on my desktop machine. As always, the desktop always needs some TLC when it comes to my desktops and getting the correct graphics drivers.

I do play with other distro in VirtualBox, but I am usually not using them for long enough to form a true opinion. New releases of other distro always look either bright and shiny or "get this VM deleted as fast as possible" during the first few minutes, then it's back to gnome and the defaults I am used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been using mostly Ubuntu systems since 2006 with the odd debian server or centos server as needed. Also use pfSense/OpnSense on my routers.
    Started with SLS in 1991, but moved to slackware until 1998 because it was easier. Then moved to RH until 2001, SuSE began my 6-month trials of different desktop distros until 2006-ish, so about 8 of the major distros in those years.

I'm concerned about Ubuntu and Canonical's plans to force snap packages onto us. After they pushed Netplan, Wayland and Systemd years before any of those were ready, I'm much more cautious running any newer releases. All our Ubuntu systems are still on 16.04 and we delayed moving to that release for a few critical systems until earlier this year.

If certain planned decisions by Canonical actually come to pass as requirements, then a migration to a different distro will be required to fit our needs. Sometimes a company needs to fire their customers when doing what they need isn't helpful to the company.

Beans

I am likely going to use Xenial til end of life on my work computer. everything works perfectly and I don't want to install a new OS (just change wall paper once in a while ). Since I compile a lot of things from source (along with the dependencies if needed, installed locally) and use a few ppas the software I use regularly is newer than 19.04's so it is quite "future proof".

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I guess it depends on what you mean by a distro-hopper. VMs make it easy to try various distros without having to overwrite things, so I keep a Ubuntu variant on my main machine and spin up VMs as I feel like.

Where I'm not using Ubuntu, it's because of hardware requirements, so I'm not sure if that counts.
    Same here.

I have tried Open-Suse, Fedora, Arcolinux (and before it disappeared Antergos, another Arch derivative), Linux-Mint-Debian-Edition, plus several others I can't remember at present, but everything just brings me back to Xubuntu, and the LTS versions only of that; the intermediate versions are also looked at as VMs.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Smile Re: I am no longer a distro hopper. What about you ?

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Same here.

I have tried Open-Suse, Fedora, Arcolinux (and before it disappeared Antergos, another Arch derivative), Linux-Mint-Debian-Edition, plus several others I can't remember at present, but everything just brings me back to Xubuntu.
    That was the same for me for the better part of four years! Always back to good ol' Xubuntu after straying occasionally just to check out this or that other distro. Most recently it was Linux Lite, which I was using because of it's unsurpassed "newbie friendliness" for friends I was introducing to Linux. Then MX-Linux for all the same newbie friendliness but on a rock-stable Debian base.

But since I know of only one person in all the years I have been installing Linux for and praising it's greatness, who has actually stuck with it. All the others - dozens of them - eventually either went back to Windows (for gaming and work-related software written exclusively for Windows) or bought Apple boxes. I got super discouraged about sharing Linux, and later versions of Debian and Ubuntu (and their derivatives) are getting complicated and slow, between systemd and stuff like VirtualBox actually on the .iso - not for the users' benefit but to make it easier for reviewers to test - I found myself looking for a distro just for me. - Not to "recruit" with, not to show around to others, not to provide support for newbies who won't stick around anyway, just for little ol' Artim. My requirements: Speed, simplicity, back-to-basics, one application per task, rock-stable, and unencumbered by systemd.

I found my new "home" distro and it's likely the one I'll always "run home to" in the unlikely even that I ever feel the need to "hop" again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    That was the same for me for the better part of four years! Always back to good ol' Xubuntu after straying occasionally just to check out this or that other distro. Most recently it was Linux Lite, which I was using because of it's unsurpassed "newbie friendliness" for friends I was introducing to Linux. Then MX-Linux for all the same newbie friendliness but on a rock-stable Debian base.

But since I know of only one person in all the years I have been installing Linux for and praising it's greatness, who has actually stuck with it. All the others - dozens of them - eventually either went back to Windows (for gaming and work-related software written exclusively for Windows) or bought Apple boxes. I got super discouraged about sharing Linux, and later versions of Debian and Ubuntu (and their derivatives) are getting complicated and slow, between systemd and stuff like VirtualBox actually on the .iso - not for the users' benefit but to make it easier for reviewers to test - I found myself looking for a distro just for me. - Not to "recruit" with, not to show around to others, not to provide support for newbies who won't stick around anyway, just for little ol' Artim. My requirements: Speed, simplicity, back-to-basics, one application per task, rock-stable, and unencumbered by systemd.

I found my new "home" distro and it's likely the one I'll always "run home to" in the unlikely even that I ever feel the need to "hop" again.
    There's ISOs with VirtualBox on them now? I didn't know that.

Beans

Distro hopping is not my thing. I find it more fun and interesting to roll my own. Something that seems not to be of interest to most people anymore

We have ISOs with vBox?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast