Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to write/delete NTFS files from LIVE?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Talking How to write/delete NTFS files from LIVE?

I am extremely new to ubuntu. I have used it several time throughout the years, but never mastered it so please someone help a newbie out.
    If possible some step by step guide so i can follow it. I cant even install my keyboard layout so i cant find most of the punctuation, sorry about that.

Recently my windows crashed and i cant get it back i need to install a new one. The problem is, i need to move and delete some files from the C: folder where i plan on installing windows, but i cant delete or move them to another ntfs partition. I can mount the drives but i cant write a new folder or anything on NTFS nor can i delete anything.

I tried searching the net but i dont understand any of it and most of them use the installed ubuntu version. I am on live USB. Some say to chown the drive, but how do i do that from the live USB? There is no user or password. Others mention ntfsfix but that did nothing either.

What do i do?
    I have some important files to move, otherwise i would just format the drive entirely and get it over with...

I am using ubuntu 18.04.

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by gordan-vrbanec-vepar; July 11th, 2019 at 04:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to write/delete NTFS files from LIVE?

Windows problems should be fixed using Windows.

You cannot chown NTFS file systems without doing some advanced mapping. Mount options control the normal Unix permissions for NTFS and other non-Linux file system types.

If you want to wipe Windows and using Ubuntu, we can help, but to fix Windows issues, using Windows it the best method.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

But my only option using windows is formatting the disk and losing my data. I tried all the recovery options and none of them worked...
    Also, how is moving files from one disk to another a windows issue? I just need to move some critical files, nothing else. Shouldnt that be simple?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

NTFS is a proprietary Windows file system. It isn't a native-to-Linux file system. Blame Microsoft. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup has more details. It is a well-know issue with Windows. That's my guess today.

I know of no work-around for the fast-boot problem in Windows except to use Windows to fix it. Sorry.

Reading might work, provided NTFS file system(s) are in a known state or closed. Writing/moving is more complex because the NTFS file system drivers don't map Windows permissions to Linux permissions. Don't move - try copy. Don't worry about deleting. When you reinstall Windows, just overwrite, format, everything.

In Linux, the mapping of NTFS permissions are addressed at mount time. This means the userid, group and permissions are controled at mount time. If you use a GUI to initially "mount" the storage for either the source or the target partition, I don't know of any method to control those important settings. In a shell/CLI interface, we can control them with the mount command.

I wish there were a few commands I could tell you to type, but before that is possible, information is needed. Connect the source and target disk devices and run
    sudo parted -l to gather some initial information. We might need more, but this might be sufficient.
    Also, if you could point out which is the source partition and which is the target partition,

Also, when posting the parted output, please use code tags- Adv Reply (#). This will have things lined up which is much easier to read. The advanced editor has a button, #.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I see. That makes sense. I was not aware of fast boot and how it affects things in linux!
    The last time i needed this was in windows 7, and then after a few commands i could write on NTFS. Did not know things got more complicated.
    Thank you for explaining!

Here is the output from sudo parted -l:

Code:
    Model: ATA Samsung SSD 860 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 250GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  577MB  576MB  primary  ntfs         boot
     2      577MB   250GB  249GB  primary  ntfs

Model: ATA WDC WD1002FAEX-0 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size   Type      File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  525MB   524MB  primary   ntfs         boot
     2      525MB   225GB   225GB  primary   ntfs
     3      225GB   226GB   490MB  primary   ntfs         diag
     4      226GB   1000GB  775GB  extended
     5      230GB   1000GB  770GB  logical   ntfs

Model: Kingston DT101 II (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 8006MB
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      1049kB  8006MB  8005MB  primary  fat32        boot, lba

Model: JetFlash Transcend 16GB (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdd: 16.1GB
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      32.3kB  16.1GB  16.1GB  primary  fat32        boot, lba
    Source partition is /dev/sda disk, the SSD where i keep windows.
    Target partition is /dev/sdb disk which is the backup HDD for files etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Read everything carefully, please.

sda and sdb aren't sufficient details. We need the exact partition number. Windows isn't clear that there is a difference between a "disk" and a "partition", which is unfortunate. Linux cares. Get the wrong one and it will be bad.

Looks like the source is sda2, but I can't guess which of sdb2 or sdb5 are the target. All NTFS, eeeew. I feel dirty. Let me see if I can find a mount statement that you can modify for your needs.

So, first we need some empty directories to serve as
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/source /mnt/target
    Now let's mount the source.
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs -o uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,big_writes /dev/sda2  /mnt/source
    This assumes that the userid you are running under is 1000 with a gid of 1000. You can check that using the 'id' command in a terminal.
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs -o uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,big_writes /dev/sdbX  /mnt/target
    You'll have to change the X to be the correct number.
    Assuming there aren't any errors, continue. The "big_writes" option should help performance on NTFS about 30%.

Now you can use the file manager to copy over files. In theory, the storage should be owned by your userid and have permissions so you can write.

Either reboot or use umount to disconnect the mounts. DO NOT JUST PULL THEM OUT! Inside a file manager, you cannot "eject" the mounts either. Only a shutdown, reboot or umount will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah, ntfs to ntfs... If i had another drive that is not ntfs i could just copy from ntfs, that works without any issues i think, but alas, i do not.

You were right, the source is sda2 and teh target is sdb5. Sorry i should have included that information.

The id command returns this:

Code:
    uid=999(ubuntu) gid=999(ubuntu) groups=999(ubuntu),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),116(lpadmin),126(sambashare)
    I tried running this command:

Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs -o uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,big_writes /dev/sda2  /mnt/source
    and i get this output:
    Code:
    ig_writes /dev/sda2  /mnt/sourceWindows is hibernated, refused to mount.
    Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an
    unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation
    or fast restarting.)
    Now i understand what you meant by fast boot and windows itself being the problem. This was no doubt caused by fast boot or something similar happening. And windows did not shut down because it crashed...

Nevertheless i tried changing uid and gid to what the "id" command told me and i get this:

Code:
    Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
    could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.
    Probably because it refused to mount it in the first place, so now it's locked or something. I can't even find it in the built in file manager anymore.

I suppose a restart of the live session would be required to reset this, but i'm downloading windows right now, with an abysmally slow connection and it'll take a while.
    I'll leave it overnight and try again tomorrow (replacing 1000 with 999 if that's needed). If it doesn't work (which is likely because apparently windows didn't shut down properly), then i'll just take the SSD to a friend and move my files that way...
    I really need to get an external disk or something. Oh well...

In any case, thank you so much for trying to help me!

EDIT:

The second code went without errors, but i still can't write anything to now mounted /dev/sdb5.
    Both source and target are in the /mnt directory, but it's the same as if they were mounted normally. Can't do anything, just browse.
    Last edited by gordan-vrbanec-vepar; July 11th, 2019 at 02:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you can't write to your internal backup hard drive, try a usb drive. It's best to keep backups on an external drive anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, the 1000 need to be 999, based on the output from 'id'. The 1000 won't work for that live flash "try ubuntu" boot, it seems.
    Do you understand the relationship between
    • username
    • userid
    • uid

?
    The second code went without errors, but i still can't write anything to now mounted /dev/sdb5.
    Because the wrong uid/gid were used for the account being used. I guessed "1000" for both, which works on a normal install for the 1st account created at install time. The Try Ubuntu stuff apparently uses 999 instead. If you change those correctly and remount, then you should be able to write to the other disk ... assuming it wasn't part of the fast boot stuff. I've never touched Win10.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 11th, 2019 at 03:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast