Thread: Floppy disk drive...outdated, I know, but?

Beans

Floppy disk drive...outdated, I know, but?

Hi all - please forgive this very outdated question...BUT....

I have an older Intel Core 2 desktop running Mint 19.1 64-bit MATE that still has mobo plugs for IDE and floppy. The computer works perfectly as a daily machine and can still do HD video and everything I need it to do no problem, but I recently came across some old floppy disks I'd forgotten about that I want to get rid of, but want to check them for important data first.

Yes, I know floppies are massively out of date, hence why I want to get rid of them, but I don't want to just throw them away without checking them all first. I do have an old floppy drive laying around somewhere that I am going to find and install into the machine temporarily to check the disks, but I wanted to know if there was anything I was going to have to do first / whether this was even going to work on Mint or was no longer supported?

I tried what I found here:
    https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/101

I can now read from the disks, but it won't let me write to them or delete things on them....any ideas how I would go about sorting that out?

Cheers and thanks!
    Last edited by RallyDarkstrike; July 9th, 2019 at 07:39 PM.

Beans

Re: Floppy disk drive...outdated, I know, but?

Perhaps the read-only switch is set? On 3 1/2" disks it is a slider. On 5 1/4" discs it is a notch.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks for the help, but I checked that first...sadly it's not the issue.

Beans

Well, it's a workaround, but apparently I can read AND write to them when accessing them as Sudo, so that will have to do for now!