Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you watch tv?

Beans

Do you watch tv?

I dont own a tv and I never watch tv anymore even when I get the opportunity to. Most of the tv like things I watch on youtube. About the only thing I wanted a new tv for is to play video games and even that doesnt motivate me much. My last tv was a tube tv i found on a dumpster, which ended up on the dumpster when I moved, i used it to play old ps2 games.

Beans

Re: Do you watch tv?

I haven't watched an actual TV for a long time nor do I ever bother with YouTube. I hope some day the latter shuts down and disappears forever. Although I don't see that scenario happening, ever.

Everything I watch is on my computer. That way I'm in control of what/when I watch content and is all completely ad-free. ie. I hate ads!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Yes I do watch TV but most of the time I am on my PC.
    Lubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!

I regularly watch TV, but rarely watch stuff online. Mrs Lisati sometimes uses Youtube on our tired old tube TV, via the set top box we bought to help our TV get digital TV.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

We tend to have the TV on as something entertaining while working on projects. We stream from Netflix, Hulu(soon to be cancelled), and YouTube

YouTube has saved me thousands on repairs and is probably one of the best educational resources available.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    YouTube has saved me thousands on repairs and is probably one of the best educational resources available.
    +1 to the educational value to be found in well-chosen videos on YouTube.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I rarely watch tv, use it mostly for Netflix.
    Maybe have it on once in a while as background noise aswell.

Beans

Hi guys. When I was little, and it was a long time ago, there simply wasn’t any alternative to TV. Now it’s just no sense to watch this box, as there are gadgets and a lot of video hosting services. The fact is that the TV does not provide the right to choose, which cannot be said about the same YouTube. At any time of the day or night I can watch the content that I'm interested in.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We don't have paid TV.

Haven't had a working TV in about a decade, but the house does have 8 network TV tuners connected to antennas. Don't ask why so many. We almost never watch TV "live". Shows will be recorded, commercials stripped, file transcoded, subtitles added/translated and the resulting media file added to our "time shift" media server. The media can be played on any device, tablet, computer, raspberry pis, Rokus, including a projector, or over the internet. By removing the commercials and transcoding, there is about a 75% reduction in file size, and clearly no commercials. comskip is an amazing tool.

There is so much content available, much for $0, that it is crazy. Check out justwatch.com for lots of options in whatever country you are in.

Right now, I'm recording the Pan American Games in Lima that are being streamed. I love certain sports that aren't popular to much of the world, so events like this happen very seldom. There are multiple events for the next 4-6 days in my favorite sport.

I find youtube extremely obnoxious. Mainly use it for how-to videos and security conferences. Avoid it for almost any other reason, though some sports events are live-streamed on it.

There are a few shows on broadcast TV that I enjoy. Agents of Shield and The 100, for example. I'm a sucker for scifi. There's NOVA on PBS and a few other PBS science-related shows. This time of year, TV choices are pretty lacking. It gets better in the fall with the new lineups and College Football. There are others in the house who like the "guilty pleasure" TV shows. I'd be embarrassed to list them here. They get their own dual TV tuner and media recording box or they can watch live. The HDHR network tuners are pretty amazing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i watch it every day. we have a play with delay option (most programs have up to 7 days delay). so we can skip the commercials. during the day kids watch cartoons. one hour each. it's cool, because they can choose their own. if they watched you tube that time goes into this one hour TV time. they also get one hour game time on PC each during holidays. during schools time one hour a day gaming each is only allowed during weekends. am i being too harsh?

you tube is OK but most material there is in English and not in my native langauge. the result is they understand English (almost) better than their mother tongue. anyway kids watch gaming vidoes (minecraft mostly and Gary's mod), i sometimes watch how to repair or how to do something videos. i try to repair everything, even worthless stuff.

anyway sometime after 20:00, adults take over TV. sometimes we would watch a film on one of the film channels, a documentary or two, or just pure entertainment TV like Forged in Fire or currently they are running Only fools and horses, this is maybe an hour or an hour and half. then it's bed time. oh i would also play games (on PC) occasionally though usually not more than an hour..
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast