Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a Laptop

Beans

Re: Looking for a Laptop

Leading the way from the front is the Dell Inspiron 3580 laptop which packs all the latest set of hardware inside. The design of the new Inspiron series of laptops has been tweaked slightly to make it look fresh, but it still looks mostly the same and reminds of older chunky looking Dell laptops. The whole laptop is finished in a black color which gives it a professional look and feel. The keyboard on this laptop is also great with ergonomic key placements, but it is not backlit enabled which might stop a few of you from buying this laptop.

Apart from that, the Dell Inspiron 3580 is a very feature-rich laptop. It provides all sorts of ports and slots that you will need to connect different peripheral devices. As far as performance of this laptop is concerned, the laptop runs Windows 10 out of the box, and it runs buttery smooth on this laptop, all thanks to newest 8th Gen Intel Core i5 Whiskey Lake processor and its 8GB of RAM. For storage, this laptop provides 1TB of HDD which provides decent amount of space to store all your data on this laptop.

Overall, this is one of the best laptop under $500 to buy right now with powerful hardware, professional looking design and up to 5 hours of battery backup.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Found this at a local store this evening marked at $229.95 instead of it's standard retail price.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...p530xbb-k05us/

How do I know if Ubuntu will run well on this?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jiminkim View Post
    Apart from that, the Dell Inspiron 3580 is a very feature-rich laptop. It provides all sorts of ports and slots that you will need to connect different peripheral devices. As far as performance of this laptop is concerned, the laptop runs Windows 10 out of the box, and it runs buttery smooth on this laptop, all thanks to newest 8th Gen Intel Core i5 Whiskey Lake processor and its 8GB of RAM. For storage, this laptop provides 1TB of HDD which provides decent amount of space to store all your data on this laptop.
    wow. anything with i5 is not sold below 730 EUR here (little 800 USD). maybe if there is some action they will have it for 600 or 650 EUR. R5 ones are slightly over 500 EUR

@ arkmundi

it is hard to say, unless you find someone on line that already tried it and reported about it or complained.

especially these low end laptops are often (but not always) problematic.

just saw they sell Dell
    G3 15–3579 gaming laptop : G3 15-3579 i5-8300H/8GB/SSD256GB/GTX1050/15,6FHD/Linux for 805 EUR
    Ubuntu 16.04 is preloaded.

wish i had the money.
    Last edited by mastablasta; July 18th, 2019 at 12:55 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

What are the minimum requirements for a gaming laptop now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i would say they usually start with Core i5 or Ryzen 5 and a good discrete GPU chip. nvidia MX150 at leats, but then GTX1050 is better. some versions of Radeon vega in Ryzen will also do. i haven't expored much but maybe Vega 8 ?

Intel GPU chips should run older games. maybe 7, 8 years old FPS.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12