Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2uuid-8751\x2dF0FF.device

Beans

A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2uuid-8751\x2dF0FF.device

Note: This is my first time using Ubuntu Forms so please feel free to advise me to change formatting and such. Any advice is appreciated.

I just decided to use Ubuntu over Windows 10 on my laptop. I proceeded to install Ubuntu 18.04 onto a flashdrive with Rufus and then try to boot it up. After some fiddling with boot options and nomodeset, I was able to erase Windows and install Ubuntu. During the boot, this message appears.

"(1 of 2) A start job is running for udev Coldplug all devices (seconds / no limit)"
    "(2 of 2) A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2uuid-8751\x2dF0FF.device (seconds / 1min 30s)"

After 1 minute and 30 seconds, it gives me emergency mode and these errors.

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2uuid-8751\x2dF0FF.device.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/8751-F0FF.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for /boot/efi.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for Clean up any mess left by 0dns-up

I have already checked by /etc/fstab for wrong uuids. The only thing out of the ordinary is that there is a /swapfile line.
    /swapfile none swap sw 0 0

Thanks in advance

EDIT: After Installing Boot-Repair on instruction from @TheFu
    I was having trouble loading the live usb, black screen on boot with nomodeset not helping. Eventually I figured out it was an acpi problem so I used acpi=off. Here is the link:

Boot-Repair Summary Link: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/8WmzfmmdMc/

EDIT: After running commands and gathering information with instructions from @ubfan1
    Hey ubfan1,

My machine is a HP ENVY m6 Notebook.

Mind I am running these commands from the recovery terminal after the start job times out.
    "sudo blkid | grep swap" outputs nothing as my fstab is using /swapfile? Is this an error?
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="8751-FOFF" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="32790d3c-9507-4d84-b07e-301fcfcf5398"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="af639486-f01f-4ed2-84eb-96ab9ce96fc8" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="769092c0-a6c4-46c1-95c5-cad175211d8e"
    How do you want me to run dosfsck? With -a?
    I ran fsck with no arguments and this printed.
    Code:
    fsck
    fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
    e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
    /dev/sda2 is mounted
    e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
    Also, how would I add a boot flag to the ESP?

Sorry, I'm new to linux.
    Last edited by jonathan232; 4 Days Ago at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: A start job is running for dev-disk-by\x2uuid-8751\x2dF0FF.device

Code:
    [DEPEND] Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by-uuid/8751-F0FF.
    is probably the EFI partition. Look at how it is setup.
    Did you choose to use LVM or not?
    Is the system legacy BIOS boot or EFI boot?

If it is a specific make/model of computer, often searching for "ubuntu install {make/model}" will provide tips to get it installed. Some vendors are known NOT to follow EFI standards in their BIOS implementations, so manual intervention is needed just to boot.

To get the most/best help, Boot into the "Try Ubuntu" using that flash drive, install boot-repair package and run it. DO NOT ask it to run a repair. Ask it to gather information, I think that button is in the bottom-center of the screen. It will post the important data and provide a URL. Post that URL back here so some experts can review it and make suggestions.

Beans

I was able to get the link.
    I also added it to the main post.

Thanks again
    Last edited by jonathan232; 3 Days Ago at 04:05 AM.

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Thread moved per request.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

bump

Beans

Bump

Beans

Nothing obvious, usually the problem is a wrong UUID. lets check again with sudo blkid |grep swap to see what uuids are current. then check the filessytem on the ESP with dosfsck. Might as well add boot flag to the ESP, that's what the spec says. Now what brand machine are you using? Some brands have vendor specific issues (HP names, Acer trust, etc.).

Beans

Hey ubfan1,

BRAND MACHINE
    My machine is a HP ENVY m6 Notebook.

COMMANDS
    Mind I am running these commands from the recovery terminal after the start job times out.
    "sudo blkid | grep swap" outputs nothing as my fstab is using /swapfile? Is this an error?
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="8751-FOFF" TYPE="vfat" PARTLABEL="EFI System Partition" PARTUUID="32790d3c-9507-4d84-b07e-301fcfcf5398"
    /dev/sda2: UUID="af639486-f01f-4ed2-84eb-96ab9ce96fc8" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="769092c0-a6c4-46c1-95c5-cad175211d8e"
    How do you want me to run dosfsck? With -a?
    I ran fsck with no arguments and this printed.
    Code:
    fsck
    fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
    e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
    /dev/sda2 is mounted
    e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
    Also, how would I add a boot flag to the ESP?

Sorry, I'm new to linux

Beans

Oops, sorry, had swap on my mind since I just this problem with a swap file that had been reformatted by another installer (changing the UUID).
    For the boot flag, you could use parted /dev/sda (or whatever disk) and the command
    set 1 boot on
    Linux really doesn't need the boot flag, but your machine's firmware may use it in some way (Since you do boot, you probably don't need it).

HP, usually takes some name tweaking to make grub run, but again, not your problem if it runs grub.

The mount of the ESP at /boot/efi may be unmounted -- it's really only needed for updating the bootloaders.
    then dosfsck -a /dev/sda1 or whatever
    Repeat until no errors.

Checking the UUIDs used in the bootprocess:
    Look at /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg
    That should be a 3 line stub file which brings in the maintained grub.cfg file from the root filesystem -- check that the UUID in use if really for the root filessytem.
    The maintained grub.cfg file looked OK, and the UUID had not changed, so that should be ok.
    The start job may take 90 seconds to finish, there is a countdown at the end of the line. Did you wait long enough for it to finish? Bad if it restarts repeatedly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast