Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu 19.04 crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu 19.04 crashing

I'm running 19.04 64-bit on my desktop, but it's become unstable. It crashes frequently, and I don't know what's causing it. For a while I thought it was Firefox, but recently it's been crashing when Firefox hadn't even been opened. I'll be in the middle of doing something, and the computer just stops responding. Audacious continues playing music and the mouse moves, but nothing responds to mouse or keyboard.

The only consistent thing I've noticed has been happening this morning. Samba seems to be crashing - I've been trying to move some ISOs from my wife's Win10 machine, but it never completes. Sometimes it freezes when I right-click: it brings up the right-click menu and stops responding; more often it stops somewhere in the middle of the copy operation. Good thing this box has a reset button 'cause it's gotten a lot of use today.

I opened Synaptic and reinstalled everything a search for samba brought up, then tried again with the same result. Anyone have any suggestions?

Computer details:
    Ibex 5015 Barebone System
    Intel E2180 Pentium Dual Core 2.0GHz
    256MB SSD
    1TB drive for storage
    4GB RAM
    Last edited by peyre; June 29th, 2019 at 07:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu 19.04 crashing

Someone else will come along and ask you for error logs, but let me offer what I know. Are you sure that it is not overheating? Fans working and clean? Maybe try running it with the case cover removed.

Since USB sticks, mouse, and keyboard all use the 5V live, are you sure that you don't have too many USB devices connected? You could be drawing the 5V line too low either from the power supply being weak and/or failing.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It shouldn't be overheated. I opened and dusted it out a few weeks ago, and the fan is running quietly and I can feel it blowing out warm-ish air in back.

The only USB devices I have attached right now are mouse & keyboard. I also had a flash drive plugged in earlier, but that was it. Half (2) of my rear USB ports have nothing plugged in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had similar symptoms but I think I know the cause. I think it was related to the video on Ryzen APUs. I've been running a few years old ATI/AMD video card because the video hardware in the Ryzen was not supported by Ubuntu. Recently I removed the ATI/AMD card and tried the onboard video. It did work but I had a couple incidents where the desktop video seemed frozen but the mouse pointer moved so it wasn't totally frozen. CTL-ALT-Delete didn't work, neither did CTRL-F1. I reinstalled the old video card and no more lockups. Have you made any changes to hardware or drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The only change in hardware has been that I hooked up an old parallel Zip drive because the ATAPI one is starting to die. That meant setting /etc/modules to load ppa and imm.

(Yes, this system is old enough to have a built-in parallel port.)
    (And yes, I still use zip disks. I'm always taking small files between home and work, and a physical disk in my work bag when I get home reminds me to retrieve them. If I put them on flash drive I'd forget most of the time.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hm, I disconnected the parallel zip drive and rebooted, and it did the same thing copying from the ATAPI drive. I've remmed out the imm line in /etc/modules, rebooted, and it still freezes during a copy operation. Copy/move operations seem to be causing this thing to freeze.

Too bad there isn't an equivalent to sfc /scannow.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

And now it crashed just opening my secondary hard drive in Thunar. What gives?

Beans

Have you tried reinstall your Zubuntu? Maybe a clean install might do. If so, and prob still exist, maybe you can try using the old but more stable version (18.04).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ugh, I did that recently for a different issue I was having. I could do it again, but I hesitate to go to all that trouble on a "see if this fixes it" kind of basis. Reinstalling on my laptop isn't a big deal, but on my desktop it's a real production.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

(Had to travel cross country so there was a delay moving on this one.) So this past weekend I backed up my data and reinstalled Xubuntu from scratch, 18.04 LTS this time, and that seems to have resolved the issue. I've been able to copy whole ISOs over the network without any trouble. I must say I'm disappointed though, that I should have to resort to an entire wipe and reinstall for something like this. It would be a big help if there were some equivalent to sfc /scannow in Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast