Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xubuntu 19.04 crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu 19.04 crashing

I finally did it, switched my hard drives and video card over to a newer computer, and . . . the hanging issue is continuing.

So I've removed my video card (it is kind of old, but it was a good one for its time so I figured probably better than onboard Intel from 5 years ago). We'll see if the hanging stops.
    Last edited by QIII; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:39 AM. Reason: Removed objectionable acronym.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

[objectionable acronym] Still having trouble.

I thought my graphics card might have been the problem, since the disks return good SMART data, and when I pulled it out of my old computer to put in the new one, it did have quite a bit of dust in the fan and heatsink (not caked, but still kind of bad). So I pulled the card out and started using the onboard Intel graphics. Trouble with that is that I can't seem to use both monitors at once. The BIOS shows an option for multi-display and it's enabled, but I think the signal won't reach - it's an analog monitor so an analog cable, connected to a VGA-DMI adapter to a DMI-HDMI adapter into the back of the computer. Oh well, it was worth a try.

I still wanted both monitors, so I plugged in an old basic PCI-e graphics card I had sitting around. Now I had both monitors again, but again I was experiencing intermittent freezing of the computer, just like before. I'm running out of ideas here folks! The only things I haven't changed out are the hard drives plus the mouse, keyboard, and monitors. I don't know what else to do.

Beans

I want to add my case in here since its related.
    Just built a new computer and decided it was time to leave windows world. I only have 2-3 apps that do not exist on Linux so I thought I could just run them in a virtual machine in Linux.
    I first loaded Ubuntu 18.04 but there were problems with display which got solved by loading Ubuntu 19.10. This is what I have running at the moment.

The machine specs are:
    Code:
    Gigabyte B450 Gaming X - motherboard
    AMD RYZEN 7 1800X - chipset
    Crucial 32GB KIT(16GBX2) DDR4 2400 MT - RAM
    Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Nitro+ (8GB) - GPU
    inxi F output is:
    Code:
    CPU~8 core AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~1868/3600 MHz Kernel~5.0.0-23-generic x86_64 Up~34 min Mem~1514.6/32174.4MB HDD~500.1GB(1.3% used) Procs~389 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56
    PROBLEM:
    Just like @peyre said, I get spontaneous freezes of the OS. Often the mouse moves around, but no clicking and the system does not recognise the location of the mouse. i.e. mouseovers in the browser do not respond. Also no keyboard responce.
    I tried to disconnect and reconnect the mouse and the keyboard (wirless units running off one pickup (logiteck MK700/MK710) but that makes no difference.
    The only thing I can do at that point is to restart. (Luckily the system restarts super fast)

I have to look into what @autodave suggested. During the build I decided to wire up my old PSU which is only 550W. I have not tested heat in the box but I recon power will be frugal.
    I will leave this post as is and hope my input helps the others (and me) to solve this problem.

I found an older but more powerful power supply that does not fit into my computer case, but one that I could jerry rig to test this thesis out.
    I will try to remember to update this thread if I find the freezing problem changes...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for adding your situation, Mastercore. FYI, I'm currently borrowing another graphics card, and so far I don't seem to be having hanging issues (unless I just jinxed it by saying so).

Beans

This is day 2 of no crashes.
    Seems like power was the cause
    Today I installed a 750w PSU and all is well in the world

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well in my case I don't know what's doing it. My computer just froze up again. It seems to be happening less often with this borrowed card (though it's still happening!), but I don't know that's in fact the case - it might just seem that way. I'm reaching my wits' end here...I've changed out the entire computer apart from hard drives and peripherals, yet the problem persists.
    Last edited by peyre; 3 Days Ago at 05:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Another crash? In the middle of a last-minute backup? This is messed up.

I like (X)ubuntu, I really do. But if my system is going to continue locking up on me at unpredictable times, I might have to think twice about this. Seriously, I've replaced almost the whole system. Windows 10 doesn't start mess with the mouse cursor and refuse to respond to mouse clicks or keyboard commands until I do a hard shutdown. I've already lost data from this. I never thought I'd say this about Ubuntu, but I just want it to work reliably.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; 3 Days Ago at 07:17 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123