Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu 19.04 crashing

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Xubuntu 19.04 crashing

Note: what I did in my post above did not fix this. The crashes continued. I finally fixed this about a week ago.

Seems this wasn't a software issue as such - I had a device connected, an old ATAPI Zip drive, which was dying. I pulled it out, and the lockups stopped, just like that. So this was a hardware issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No sooner did I mark this solved but the crashes started to recur. It's odd - the screen I'm in suddenly starts to get jumpy, then I look down and see my hard drive light is pegged, or close to it. Whatever is running still kind of runs (video or audio plays in bits) but I'm unable to close any windows to help it shut down gracefully or stop the application that's causing the slowdown, even if I continuously click-click-click the X to try to close it. Eventually I have to hit Reset, hold down the Power button, or pull the plug. Then it starts normally again, but for how long I can only guess.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; 3 Days Ago at 12:52 AM. Reason: Removed inappropraite language

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Something else is dying in your old system. Very likely it's the HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Oh man!! That thing has a good (though not exactly new) SSD, plus a 1TB HDD for storage. I'd hate to have to replace either of them, but that's extra reason to make sure I have a good backup done. What do you recommend I do to check them, boot with a Xubuntu DVD and fsck the drives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can use Disks to check the SMART values while running the OS. That alone should give an accurate drive health information.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Oh yes, of course! Should've thought of that. Thanks!

Any other pointers, if I can't seem to find anything with the disks?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hm, so far (not) so good. I ran an extended test on the SSD (the system disk) and everything came out OK. In particular, Reallocated sector count reads 0.

Then again, as I understand it, SMART data is liable to give false negatives.

I'm running an extended test on the HDD now.

Edit: The HDD also checks out. So, is there anything else you'd suggest I take a look at?
    Last edited by peyre; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It seems to happen most often when I'm either surfing in Firefox, or navigating my file system in Thunar. There's no prior indication of trouble; it just suddenly stops responding to mouse clicks. Usually I'm able to move the mouse around, but I can't close anything. Other times it just freezes up. When I can move the mouse, it becomes jumpy. And often it runs the hard drive hard, but sometimes the HD light is quiet. In any case the only way out is to hit the Reset button or do a hard power-off.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

That symptom - being able to move the cursor but not click on anything - is just because the window manager has got confused.

The underlying cause could be any number of things; electromigration in the processor or some other chip, swollen/failing capacitors on the motherboard, failing RAM, failing hard drive, failing power supply, intermittent connection, any of that kind of stuff. Data (charge, really) goes through a lot of parts before it gets where it needs to be, and any of them being wonky will cause issues. Fundamentally you're expecting one number but you get a different one, and then your system has no idea what to do next.

All electronic components have a finite realistic lifespan. Some die quickly, some die slowly, but they all die in the end.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ah, I was afraid of that. I bought this machine back in 2009, so it's not surprising that it may be simply wearing out. Might be time to start looking for a replacement.
    Last edited by peyre; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast