Thread: If Ubuntu does away with 32-bit app support, what options do I have with my printer?

Beans

If Ubuntu does away with 32-bit app support, what options do I have with my printer?

I do realize that Canonical has backtracked on their decision to not support 32-bit applications, but I want to be prepared for the future if they ever do change their minds.

I have a printer that I bought 2 years ago, a Canon PIXMA iP2700, while there is a driver for it available in CUPS, the local driver is very limited in features, like printing in Fast Mode isn't available, I ended up wasting lots of ink when I used the local driver.

The Linux driver that Canon provides has a print in Fast Mode feature, however, their driver is only available in 32-bit and in order to install and run my printer with their driver, I had to enable 32-bit support by running these commands in the Terminal:

Code:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    sudo apt-get update
    If Canonical does eventually do away with supporting 32-bit, what options do I have to continue using my printer into the future?

Beans

Re: If Ubuntu does away with 32-bit app support, what options do I have with my print

Manufacturers are likely to write 64-bit drivers for their products, now that 64-bit is the norm.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: If Ubuntu does away with 32-bit app support, what options do I have with my print

Debian still supports 32 bit and so does MX linux There are other options also. Good luck.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Yup! Any Debian-based distro (except Ubuntu and it's derivatives) still has all that 32-bit support. MX-Linux is awesome for newbies, by the way, so don't let the fact that it's Debian scare you off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

32-bit libraries for printer drivers are some of the few 32-bit packages they are currently working toward figuring out a fix for.
    https://community.ubuntu.com/t/32bit...-systems/11342
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    32-bit libraries for printer drivers are some of the few 32-bit packages they are currently working toward figuring out a fix for.
    https://community.ubuntu.com/t/32bit...-systems/11342
    Thanks for the heads up!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nobody is forcing you to use the bleeding edge version of Ubuntu. What reasons cause you to need to move to 19.10 or later? Just stick with 18.04 or whatever version you are on now.
    Wand good Free Software games?
    Free Gamer - Open source game resource
    FreeGameDev - Free Software games community

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg View Post
    Nobody is forcing you to use the bleeding edge version of Ubuntu. What reasons cause you to need to move to 19.10 or later? Just stick with 18.04 or whatever version you are on now.
    well ubuntu derivatives support for 18.04 ends in 2021, so time to plan for when that date comes.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    well ubuntu derivatives support for 18.04 ends in 2021, so time to plan for when that date comes.
    The flavours only maintain their configurations and packages that aren't provided by the Ubuntu flavour. All of the system libraries are going to be supported till 2023. Things like graphics drivers and new versions of Mesa, where people might want the newest stuff, come through PPAs anyway.