Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best laptops for XUbuntu?

Beans

Best laptops for XUbuntu?

Looking to get a laptop in november hopefully and wondering which laptops are best for Ubuntu/XUbuntu....?
    I was told lenovo thinkpads are very good? if so, does the model matter?
    Any insight is highly appreciated, thanks guys

/edit: I'm looking for intel processor, 4+gigs of ram, SSD with 200+gigs, Must have a cd/dvd drive...
    Possibly a lot higher specs, depending on price.....
    Last edited by ferfykins; June 29th, 2019 at 02:51 AM.

j2ee is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Re: Best laptops for XUbuntu?

If money is not an issue for you, you can just buy those linux laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ferfykins View Post
    /edit: I'm looking for intel processor, 4+gigs of ram, SSD with 200+gigs, Must have a cd/dvd drive...
    Possibly a lot higher specs, depending on price.....
    I'd recommend getting 8.0GB ram.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

I've had great luck with ASUS and HP laptops. That said, my laptops are pretty old. Dell sells laptops with Ubuntu already on them.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Mind linking me the dell ubuntu laptops? I don't see any on their site....

Beans

Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not a support request.

Thread moved to The Cafe as the more appropriate forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since I'm retired, I always buy ex-lease laptop, so I now use a Dec 2011 HP Elitebook 8460p with an I5-2520M. It is a good quality laptop (originally around $1500) and changing parts is really very easy. I bought it 2 years ago for less than $180. You can always buy a 250 GB SSD separately, they are cheap nowadays. I needed the space so I bought a 1 TB SSHD and the laptop now boots in the low twenty seconds, like my SSD based Ryzen desktop. For the family I got a "workstation" version from Jun 2011 too. Also an Elitebook with i5, with Quadro video with 48 CUDA cores and a 7200 rpm 250 GB HDD.
    Both run Ubuntu Mate 18.04.2/Linux 4.18 without any problem, mine also has a Xubuntu 18.04.2 installation also without any problems.

I think some older Lenovo Thinkpads even have a PCIe slot, that also could support M.2 SSDs. I've seen some YouTube videos about it.

If you buy a laptop, I would install it with BTRFS and use the SSD or HDD with LZO compression. It doubles your disk size and it halves the number of sectors you have to read to load a program or the OS. BTFRS will use all free memory space as cache for the disk, so after the first actions you will run completely from memory cache resulting in instantaneous response times. So consider 8 GB, it is not really needed, but it could speed up things somewhat. Think response times going from half a second to instantaneous.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; June 30th, 2019 at 07:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have 3 Thinkpads, X201, T410 & T430. They were cheap off Ebay, < $120 each. 2 of the 3 came without Hard drives but SSDs are affordable these days and well worth it IMO. I had to return one due to a faulty keyboard and had no problem with it. Some machines with 4 GB come with a 4 GB SODIMM and one empty slot so it's easy and inexpensive to add a second 4 GB. SODIMM but you might also get 2 2 GB SODIMMS in which case you'd have to replace both, or replace one and have 6 GB. The risk of buying used is no warranty beyond that extended by the seller. One advantage is that the hardware is not bleeding edge so will probably be well supported by Linux distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast