Thread: Ubuntu 19.04 Frequently Freezing for some apps -- seems amdgpu related

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu 19.04 Frequently Freezing for some apps -- seems amdgpu related

System is crashing repeatedly when using SOME applications, unfortunately Jetbrains software is one of the culprits and necessary for me work

Been running an AMD Radeon RX 570 based video card for a couple years, previous to 19.04 I was running the amdgpu-pro proprietary drivers.

Tried upgrading, had issues with stability almost immediately
    Fresh install twice, same thing

Currently running amdgpu open source drivers, they're proving more stable that proprietary but not by much...

user level details:
    System is stable when left alone, disabled suspend and let it run for 2 days left alone no issue
    Usage of Jetbrains software / spotify / several others results in a crash within a few minutes, where screens turn gray/black -- CTRL+ALT+F{x} fails, can't SSH in from an outside computer
    Usage of ATOM / chrome / terminator and a few others installed through `apt` does not cause issue
    this is not heat related system was rock solid on 17.10 / 18.04 / 18.10

Reports from the internet suggest this is related to snap packages, though I'm unsure if I wanna dive down installing gnome-shell outside of snap since that's now the expected configuration

System details:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C video                                                                                                          ✓ 

*-display                 
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X]
           vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:0c:00.0
           version: c7
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
           resources: irq:58 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f01fffff ioport:e000(size=256) memory:fe800000-fe83ffff memory:c0000-dffff
    Code:
    ls -alt /var/crash                                                                                                          ✓ 
    total 49252
    drwxrwsrwt  2 root     whoopsie     4096 Jun 28 16:53 .
    -rw-------  1 whoopsie whoopsie       37 Jun 28 16:22 _usr_bin_gnome-shell.1000.uploaded
    -rw-r-----  1 alvin    whoopsie 50421573 Jun 28 16:22 _usr_bin_gnome-shell.1000.crash
    -rw-r--r--  1 alvin    whoopsie        0 Jun 28 16:22 _usr_bin_gnome-shell.1000.upload
    Checking through syslog / dmesg isn't turning up much that seems relevant but I may not be greping for the right stuff

Any other info can I share to help debug?

Hoping someone can point me towards a breadcrumb to solve, can't work when the system halts every few minutes
    Nearly ready to just buy a NVIDIA card and cross my fingers
    Last edited by alvin2; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 19.04 Frequently Freezing for some apps -- seems amdgpu related

Not to sway you any way shape or form, Nvidia for me is very very stable.
    Hope someone helps you first though.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

1fallen -- are you running ubuntu 19.04?
    open source or propietary drivers?

Over the years I've switched back and forth between video card providers for issues similar to this -- it sucks but it's also part of the trade off for open source software and I understand that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Not to sway you any way shape or form, Nvidia for me is very very stable.
    And AMD products have been very stable for me.

@alvin2 --

What leads you to believe the issue seems to have anything to do with your graphics driver. You said yourself that your research seems to indicate something about a snap.

Just to clarify: there is not a separate open source AMDGPU driver differentiated from a proprietary one. AMDGPU is open source. Even if you have AMDGPU-PRO installed, you are still using AMDGPU. PRO is simply an overlay of additional proprietary functionality on top of AMDGPU.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alvin2 View Post
    1fallen -- are you running ubuntu 19.04?
    open source or propietary drivers?

Over the years I've switched back and forth between video card providers for issues similar to this -- it sucks but it's also part of the trade off for open source software and I understand that
    Yep and 18.04, and 19.10. But for my Thinkpads I opted to not buy with hybrid cards, went strictly Intel and opensource.
    My Nvidia card is using proprietary driver on a dedicated tower.
    FTR: I don't install Gnome Shell (No More interest), or snapd.
    Might not hurt to take a look at:
    Code:
    systemctl --failed
    Last edited by 1fallen; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:51 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Didn't take the best notes while I was diving into all this but there are a few references to AMD cards being unstable with snap packages

- quick search through history shows this one https://cialu.net/how-to-solve-crash...driver-ubuntu/
    there are more references that I read through and tried different paths to debug -- near certain about the AMD + SNAP being the culprit but would love to find I'm wrong and it's actually something simple

good to know about AMDGPU vs AMDGPUPRO -- they used to be separate but I haven't been keeping track of updates in that realm for a few years

next time I have a freeze I'll post an output of `systemctl --failed`

thank you

Beans

output from
    Code:
    systemctl --failed
    is unfortunately not helpful on a fresh boot

Code:
    systemctl --failed                                                                                                         ✓
    0 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
    To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
    will parse the archived syslog and share later if useful

output from systemctl list-unit-files is over 200 lines so I'll save posting that unless it'll be useful
    Last edited by alvin2; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:20 PM. Reason: formatting

Beans

UPDATE: swapped out with a nvidia card -- hasn't frozen since...

pretty sure the root cause is related to isolated drivers in snap -- gnome-shell being installed through snap now makes it difficult to just remove the management system...

if anyone has an idea for how to debug I still have the AMD card and willing to put in some time to narrow it down but otherwise back to work

many thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alvin2 View Post

pretty sure the root cause is related to isolated drivers in snap -- gnome-shell being installed through snap now makes it difficult to just remove the management system...
    What do you mean by snap?
    Snap packages?
    If that's the case, then nope.
    gnome shell has never been a snap on Ubuntu.
    (there may be snap package or two someone published, but Ubuntu has never shipped the desktop as one)
    Gnome Shell on Ubuntu is the genuine traditional article.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

No expertise here - but is there any chance that wayland crept into use on your system? You could check the 'cog' at your next login to be sure - or
    Code:
    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    should tell you. Had a few surprises on my Vega11 graphics that way...

freebird
    |Intel E6550 2.33 | Intel mb/gfx/snd | 4 Gb RAM | Seagate 500Gb | 64 Gb SSD|24" LCD |16.04/18.04 | AMD A10 5800K 3.8GHz / ATI gfx| Asus A88X-Pro mb/snd | 8 Gb RAM | Corsair Force 128 Gb SSD | Seagate 3+2TB | USB 2TB | Sony 40" | Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 |