Thread: DNS Resolution Broken After Removing PiHole

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question DNS Resolution Broken After Removing PiHole

Ubuntu Server 18.04. I have been running PiHole on my Ubuntu server for a while now, and decided to break that service off onto a dedicated machine. After uninstalling it however, my server is unable to resolve any DNS names itself. I seem to have fixed this by adding the DNS server to the .yaml file in /etc/netplan and running netplan apply, but it doesn't stick after a reboot. I've applied a sort of duck tape fix by putting "netplan apply" in /etc/rc.local , but that doesn't really fix whatever the Pihole uninstaller broke.

I also tried:

Code:
    sudo systemd-resolve -i enp2s0 --set-dns=10.1.1.3
    10.1.1.3 being my local DNS server and new PiHole (it's working with every other system), and got

Code:
    The specified interface enp2s0 is managed by systemd-networkd. Operation refused. Please configure DNS settings for systemd-networkd managed interfaces directly in their .network files.
    Problem is, I can't seem to find anything named enp2s0.network anywhere on the system.

netplan apply with a modified .yaml file seems to be the only thing that works, but it isn't applying on reboot for some reason without me just sticking the command into my /etc/rc.local so that it runs on bootup. As of right now, it's fine with the rc.local workaround, but I'd really like to figure why it's necessary in the first place.

I would love to just reset all of the networking configurations to their default, like I just did a clean install of the OS, but I'm not sure what that is since Ubuntu has had so many changes in recent years to how it manages network interfaces.
    Last edited by gerowen; June 28th, 2019 at 03:59 AM.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain