Thread: Good news!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Good news!

There has been a big problem, with Steam announcing ending support for Ubuntu, because in discontinuing 32-bit versions of Ubuntu, they also planned to remove the 32-bit libraries, which Steam, and every other game source need to be able to run 32-bit programs.

Relax!
    "Canonical has issued a statement on Ubuntu's 32-bit future, saying it will continue to build and maintain a 32-bit archive going forward. From a report:
    Of course, there was some negativity surrounding the decision -- as is common with everything in the world today. In particular, developers of WINE were upset, since their Windows compatibility layer depends on 32-bit, apparently. In a statement, Canonical said: "Thanks to the huge amount of feedback this weekend from gamers, Ubuntu Studio, and the WINE community, we will change our plan and build selected 32-bit i386 packages for Ubuntu 19.10 and 20.04 LTS. We will put in place a community process to determine which 32-bit packages are needed to support legacy software, and can add to that list post-release if we miss something that is needed. Community discussions can sometimes take unexpected turns, and this is one of those. The question of support for 32-bit x86 has been raised and seriously discussed in Ubuntu developer and community forums since 2014. That's how we make decisions."

Canonical will build 32-bit binaries for 19.10 and 20.04, so we're going to be OK.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Good news!

What about 64-bit versions, untouched?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Good news!

Holy Cripes on Toast!