Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pi4 has launched

Beans

The Pi4 has launched

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: The Pi4 has launched

Yep I'm definitely interest in getting one and seeing what it is capable of.

I'm hoping to find one locally that is set up and to actually see it working first.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products...-pi-4-model-b/

https://static.raspberrypi.org/files...duct-Brief.pdf
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    The specs are amazing....
    They sure are! I now know what my next computing purchase is .

I have been having a great time even with the memory limitations of the pi 3 B+ model; this is great news, a pi with up to 4BG of memory ... nice indeed. I don't have a 4K TV and probably won't for quite a while but for those who do have such hardware this sounds real good.

I'll be watching the Australian web site where I purchased my current 3 R-Pi devices like a hawk for these units to become available. Coming soon but can be ordered now ... 2 units paid for and on back order here now.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; June 26th, 2019 at 02:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Looks interesting. I wonder how well the MythTV frontend will run on it. It may replace my current Myth system down the road which draws 100 watts and requires a fan in the cabinet.
    Current 'buntu systems: Server 18.04.2 LTS, Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS / Retired: 14.04 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 8.04 LTS
    Been using ubuntu since 6.04 (13 years!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It would cost more, but I'd like to see a SATA port or an m.2 slot. Having an SSD and being able to actually TRIM would be nice.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    It would cost more, but I'd like to see a SATA port or an m.2 slot. Having an SSD and being able to actually TRIM would be nice.
    SATA has been heavily requested by the Pi community, but still on the wish list. Other than cost, I wonder if there are other reasons.

Beans

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Ubuntu Mate or Server OS will work also on Raspberry Pi 4?
    For the moment any iso image I've tried, none of the are booting. Only the Raspbian OS.

Cheers,
    Dan

Beans

snip
    Last edited by cruzer001; June 29th, 2019 at 12:10 PM.

Beans

Any update on this? There are some custom kernels out there that boot on the Pi4 (even with all 4GB RAM enabled), but nothing official.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    SATA has been heavily requested by the Pi community, but still on the wish list. Other than cost, I wonder if there are other reasons.
    Cost is absolutely critical for the raspberry pi. Remember, the primary goal is to provide schools, with fixed budgets, small, hackable, computers. The price is #1 consideration.

There are competing SBCs which have SATA for $10-$30 more. Check out the Rock64 and RockPro64 and Odroid-N2 for some ideas. There are others too.

Here's hoping they correct the r-pi v4 power plug problem and CPU cooling issues ASAP. I haven't seen any updates other than recognition of the issues.
    Not all USB-c power plugs work in the pi4. The port has an up/down, which shouldn't happen with any USB-c plug.
    The CPU cooling problem causes throttling to manage thermal issues. Looks like a partial fix is available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast