Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop!_OS vs Ubuntu

j2ee is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Pop!_OS vs Ubuntu

Look like System76 spent some money to promote Pop!_OS. Does anyone really use Pop!_OS but not Ubuntu? Hardware in System76 charges more "Apple tax" than Apple hardware come on...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Pop!_OS vs Ubuntu

Yes. People really do use Pop!_OS.

No. System76 does not charge "Apple Tax". But one must look at the specific components & chipsets of each machine (these are the "Tangibles") . . . AND also look at the "Intangibles" like lifetime free OS support and "Open Firmware", "Open OS" and mostly free and open software (FOSS).

Remember, under the hood these Linux OS's are closely related (Debian==>Ubuntu==>Pop!_OS . . . . )

From the flavor of many of your posts, it seems you really enjoy the role of contrarian . . . . any particular reason for that???? Please do tell.
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

j2ee is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    Yes. People really do use Pop!_OS.

No. System76 does not charge "Apple Tax". But one must look at the specific components & chipsets of each machine (these are the "Tangibles") . . . AND also look at the "Intangibles" like lifetime free OS support and "Open Firmware", "Open OS" and mostly free and open software (FOSS).

Remember, under the hood these Linux OS's are closely related (Debian==>Ubuntu==>Pop!_OS . . . . )

From the flavor of many of your posts, it seems you really enjoy the role of contrarian . . . . any particular reason for that???? Please do tell.
    Watch this:
    https://youtu.be/JTN1c1j6V1s
    Clearly it charges very high price for the hardware, even more expensive than Apple, but I cannot just download MacOS and use it.
    The hardware design is pretty bad, cannot just change the motherboard, and cooling look really bad.

I would choose Ubuntu not pop os since pop os is built by this few people company, their bid is earning from these super high peice hardware, if they keep losing money then pop os will be done too.
    Last edited by j2ee; June 25th, 2019 at 02:25 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Notice that Linus is under the impression that all Linux users are tinkering geeks who all build their own computers, compile their own kernels and search far afield for repos -- 15 year old urban legend. That should give you a clue from the start that he doesn't know the Linux world. Have you ever seen any of his other videos where he is using anything but Windows?

From that skewed point of reference, he presses on without understanding. Are System76 machines too expensive? For me, yes. I just happen to be that geek that builds his own computers. Most people aren't me. Some are quite happy to pay a premium to not have to be a geek and a builder.

You seem to like to point everyone to YouTube videos as if they were gospel and then ask your questions over and over again after you have received clear answers.

Phrases such as "Apple Tax" are clearly meant to be evocative and inflammatory. You would do well to stop such trollish behavior. One might begin to wonder if your motives are as innocent as you would like your posts to appear.
    Last edited by QIII; June 25th, 2019 at 04:12 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

So far, these youtube videos are not especially accurate or informative.

Attempting to run an OS off a usb flash-stick (even a usbv3) is not a great experience if you are changing the system via installs, etc. Also, updates and upgrades cannot be processed in the typical way. What that company ought to do is have the OS pre-installed on something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=4qtr9QaYJ7U

Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Are System76 machines too expensive? For me, yes. I just happen to be that geek that builds his own computers. Most people aren't me. Some are quite happy to pay a premium to not have to be a geek and a builder.
    I'm with you here System 76 machines are nice but more than I'm willing to pay.

I'm all about building your own computer however all of my Linux computers were Windows computers discarded by their users who deemed these computers no longer usable and tossed to the curb.

I take those computers and upgrade them to their maximum capability from spare parts or parts purchased from ebay cheaply and then install Linux on them and use them as my daily drivers.

Why not and it gives me something to do being retired and I enjoy it.
    Last edited by poorguy; June 25th, 2019 at 02:38 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro

Good points . . . but there's more flexibility on price than used to be (like the mini-PC's like MintBox & Sys76 Meerkat).

Still, the way PoBoy (oops, . . . Poor Guy) is doing it makes sense for many folks. It's been a while since I've modified a system, but that how one learns.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I'm with you here System 76 machines are nice but more than I'm willing to pay.
    lower sales volume = higher price

on the other hand they do need to ensure that linux OS they sell along with machine is fully compatible at least for the "life time" of the device they sell.

small volume (purchase and sales) is also the reason why various Librem etc are very expensive compared to off the shelf products. bu ton the other hand it is all setup and ready to go.

i am not sure how well it is maintained, but Ubuntu certified is a good reference. if nothing else for old business laptops where Ubuntu will work out of the box.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

PopOS works well with system 76 equipment and that is the reason it was developed to give them an OS that could be put on their Hardware. How well it will work on other machines is just about the same as ubuntu. That being said System 76 has to charge a premium price because they are a low volume seller but from everyone I've know that wants a laptop with linux pre installed that as one they've been happy with it. And the service has been good. It all depends what your looking for, some folks just need a putter that works out of the box with little or no fuss.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

I just went to the System 76 website and they have some nice computers.

https://system76.com/

I guess if I had a lot of money then I would probably purchase a System 76 Desktop.

The reality is I don't so I won't and besides I'm a cheap old guy and happy with my curb finds.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast