Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pop!_OS vs Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Pop!_OS vs Ubuntu

Yes you are paying a premium for System 76. I own a Gazelle. But like everything else, you get what you pay for. From experience (and research before I bought: )

- It may sound patronizing, but you are buying American and you are buying from a small business taking on the Microsoft and Apple behemoths. Yes the hardware is made in China, but it is assembled and configured in Colorado.

- I had one issue with my Gazelle right after it arrived, I called them up. I was not put on hold, I didn't have to enter serial numbers or an authorization code or go through some automated system to feel like a number. Someone answered the phone after three rings and I was not fed up the support escalation chain, she was an actual tech who knew just what she was doing and walked me through the issue. So if there is one single thing that sets System 76 above and beyond any other manufacturer, it is stellar support for their products.

- The reason MS and Apple are so huge is that consumers don't want to think, but they still want to feel smart. The want to open the box and if what comes out doesn't make them feel smart, it's someone else's problem. This isn't and never has been what Linux is about, and I'm totally behind System 76 giving consumers another option.

I still haven't jumped into their OS, I'm lazy like everyone else and like Ubuntu. But I would bet anything if I did and anything went sideways, it would only take one call to System 76 to get it resolved.

No I don't work for System 76, just know a good company when I see one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I just went to the System 76 website and they have some nice computers.

https://system76.com/

I guess if I had a lot of money then I would probably purchase a System 76 Desktop.

The reality is I don't so I won't and besides I'm a cheap old guy and happy with my curb finds.
    I'm the same way. I'd rather build my own system or find a good deal then install my own OS.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    Yes you are paying a premium for System 76. I own a Gazelle. But like everything else, you get what you pay for. From experience (and research before I bought: )

- It may sound patronizing, but you are buying American and you are buying from a small business taking on the Microsoft and Apple behemoths. Yes the hardware is made in China, but it is assembled and configured in Colorado.

- I had one issue with my Gazelle right after it arrived, I called them up. I was not put on hold, I didn't have to enter serial numbers or an authorization code or go through some automated system to feel like a number. Someone answered the phone after three rings and I was not fed up the support escalation chain, she was an actual tech who knew just what she was doing and walked me through the issue. So if there is one single thing that sets System 76 above and beyond any other manufacturer, it is stellar support for their products.

- The reason MS and Apple are so huge is that consumers don't want to think, but they still want to feel smart. The want to open the box and if what comes out doesn't make them feel smart, it's someone else's problem. This isn't and never has been what Linux is about, and I'm totally behind System 76 giving consumers another option.

I still haven't jumped into their OS, I'm lazy like everyone else and like Ubuntu. But I would bet anything if I did and anything went sideways, it would only take one call to System 76 to get it resolved.

No I don't work for System 76, just know a good company when I see one.
    I've done product support for a few companies now and the things you've mentioned are truly appreciated by customers and support reps alike. One of the companies gave us great documentation that could fix most problems without escalation to another team. I learned their software to the point where I was being written up for completing 2nd and 3rd level support fixes for customers, even though I wasn't supposed to, because I understood how frustrating it was to have to write down a case number and wait for my issue to be resolved by someone else who was likely to question everything the 1st level support had already went over. Luckily, the write-ups were always challenged by my supervisor who kept pushing to having me promoted to those higher teams and the write-ups were shredded.

My last employer was the exact opposite. We were allowed to take on tasks that were supposed to be higher level's job, but our documentation was garbage. It was all done through Google Drive and after six months of being chewed out they finally realized I did not have access to my own level of support's documentation. I was always frustrated with having to escalate problems just to get chewed out and written up because I should've been able to fix the problem.

Needless to say, I am going to start watching system76's career page to see if they offer any remote support positions.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yes you are paying a premium for System 76. I own a Gazelle. But like everything else, you get what you pay for.
    well that's always good - to get what you pay for. i hate it when some companies overcharge it and then - no support, stuff stops working after 2 years...

hmm maybe we should pay for Ubuntu? but even if we did pay for it, i bet there would still be regression bugs.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

maybe we should pay for Ubuntu?
    Do you remember downloading it? Well then . . . I try to drop by every now and then.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i used to build my own systems. i've even taught how to do that. but with advancing age, retirement, and declining health, i've decided to not do that any more, like many other things such as piecing together my own Linux system from pieces of other distros. but i still wanted to be sure my laptop would have the right hardware choices to have fewer issues with Linux. so i got a System76 laptop and proceeded to do a fresh install of my own, just to be sure i could (and i have a total of 4 times, now), and to set up my own partition scheme (separate /home on /dev/sda4). i've been running that same partition since i formatted it manually at 14.04. now, i'm on 18.04.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    i used to build my own systems. i've even taught how to do that. but with advancing age, retirement, and declining health, i've decided to not do that any more, like many other things such as piecing together my own Linux system from pieces of other distros. but i still wanted to be sure my laptop would have the right hardware choices to have fewer issues with Linux. so i got a System76 laptop and proceeded to do a fresh install of my own, just to be sure i could (and i have a total of 4 times, now), and to set up my own partition scheme (separate /home on /dev/sda4). i've been running that same partition since i formatted it manually at 14.04. now, i'm on 18.04.
    That's cool to be able to do that and I'm envious.

Unfortunately for some as myself plagued with advancing age,and declining health and also retired (although that ain't a problem) may not have that option.

I've found Linux to work very well with almost any desktop computer that is Intel based although can't say the same for certain AMD / ATI Radeon and Nvidia based computers and won't even go into laptops as from my experience laptops regardless of brand and build just seem to sometimes be very problematic.

I've found that a little bit of research for any curb find / discarded Windows computer will aid in determining exactly which Linux Distro will fit the perspective Linux computer to be used for a successful Linux experience.

This has worked well in my case and perhaps one day I will be able to own a System 76 computer because they do appear to be well designed and built.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Do you remember downloading it? Well then . . . I try to drop by every now and then.

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you
    thank you for the link. when i get my next sales bonus i feel i should contribute.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Frankly my main computer is a 2015 MBP and I'd be happy to pay the Apple Tax again for such a model -- awesome hardware. I've seen some reviews on PopOS from Lawrence Technology Services -- it looks really polished (this is a guy who runs a computer networking and server support business for a living). I'd like to try it one day for a desktop OS. Ubuntu is pretty good as a server OS and I'm pleased with it. I can't speak much about System76. Their products are expensive and although I've never bought anything from System76 - I do tend to buy more expensive hardware (UniFi switches and Access Points are awesome). Sometimes paying more for things pays you back in your time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I gave Pop a spin and it seemed like a nice looking and snappy gnome desktop, Currently taking a break from the gnome shell after using it side by side with Unity for many years.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Yes, because my non-system76 laptop (I just bought a Windows 10 laptop because I'm part of a niche that wants touchscreens AND nvidia gpus) has 2 gpus (nvidia and intel) and I need to be able to switch between them.

Also Ubuntu gets stuck and halts within 10 seconds. I tried running logs but there doesn't seem to be any error or anything, it just logs more and more slowly until it halts and I gotta reboot (only to halt again until I wipe ubuntu off and install basically anything else - including Pop_OS)
    Last edited by lirannl; September 17th, 2019 at 05:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12