Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: linuxtoday.com not accessible from Sweden?

Beans

Re: linuxtoday.com not accessible from Sweden?

OK, I'll try something. I'll post this plan, then use curl to try to read from that web site. I'll edit this post adding a numbered result with each step. I will be using my VPN which exits through a UK hosting provider's data centre. I will be using 1.1.1.1 for my DNS resolution...
    1:
    Before using curl, I did a ping. That worked, resolved address was 23.43.27.23.
    2:
    Curl gave me the error processing message. Will try to post that next.
    3:
    I failed to post the curl transcript by editing this post. I got a 403 error and "Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /editpost.php on this server." So let's try just to update my post with this paragraph.
    4:
    That was OK (cut-down item 3 was allowed). So now I will try to post just the command I used for curl:
    5:
    And the curl command was:
    Code:
    curl -k https://www.linuxtoday.com/
    6:
    OK, I was able to post that. Now for the complete transcript but with the error response reference number redacted...
    7:
    Redacting the reference number didn't help. Edit not allowed. So this is just to see if I can edit my post at all any more
    8:
    Clearly I can still post ordinary text. It's something in the contents of the transcript that's getting my update refused. Maybe it's the http tags - I'll try to post the http body contents only
    9:
    Code:
    An error occurred while processing your request.<p>
    Reference #97.b48f655f.1561295516.12809fce
    10:
    So maybe all this post has done is to prove that I can't post text that looks like real http tags into this forum. The "You don't have permission to access /editpost.php on this server." is somewhat unhelpful though.

Anyway, the upshot is that I consistently get the message that there was an error processing my request for www.linuxtoday.com. If I use curl with a -v flag I can see a valid-looking certificate come back immediately, and then after about a 10 second pause is the HTTP error message. I think the certificate is being issued by a reverse proxy, and the reverse proxy is unable to get any response from the web service behind it.

@coffeecat: Are you resolving to the same IP address that I am?
    Code:
    ~$ host www.linuxtoday.com
    www.linuxtoday.com is an alias for www.quinstreet.com.edgekey.net.
    www.quinstreet.com.edgekey.net is an alias for e8980.b.akamaiedge.net.
    e8980.b.akamaiedge.net has address 23.43.27.23
    Last edited by The Cog; June 23rd, 2019 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Niether 8.8.8.8 nor 1.1.1.1 worked. Pinging does not work either (but that could be blocked in other ways I guess)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Not an Ubuntu support question, moved to Cafe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    @coffeecat: Are you resolving to the same IP address that I am?
    Code:

Yep.

Code:
    But something interesting. A few minutes ago I tried opening the link in your post and got:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.b48f655f.1561303143.1328216b
    That was the first time I've seen the error page. But then trying again less than 5 minutes later, it resolved and I was able to view the linuxtoday website. Perhaps an intermittent problem somewhere and I was lucky up until a few minutes ago. It's still extremely slow when it does work.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Has been like this for at least a week now(connecting from Sweden).
    The response varies only in the reference number
    An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #97.xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx
    It always responds reasonably fast (~8ms) on ping requests.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I just got thru! Yayy! Will see if it holds out...

PS Mailed linuxtoday at their site about this. Hope they come back to me.
    Last edited by webaake; June 30th, 2019 at 03:56 PM.

Beans

I'm getting the same error (UK) 95% of the time for about two weeks now

Different IP for me: e8980.b.akamaiedge.net has address 104.127.30.28

It's ping-able ok, so something to do with their web server (apache or whatever they're using) or CMS I guess. Hopefully your mail gets through and they fix their site soon, but will probably have to start looking for alternatives instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No reply from them as of yet. But I'll mail them again with some exerpts from this thread. It workd for me just now, again. (from Sweden)

Beans

I've just been experimenting, and discovered that if I connect through a free proxy (https://www.hidemyass.com/en-gb/proxy), then I can connect to LinuxToday every time (as long as I don't choose UK as the server, which gives me a 404 error instead).

I still can't connect directly from UK, so there's presumably some kind of filtering being employed. That might help them narrow the problem down if they're interested, but thanks for emailing them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 4-nick-1 View Post
    I still can't connect directly from UK, so there's presumably some kind of filtering being employed.
    A filter that, presumably, doesn't affect the two different UK ISP's that I successfully used to connect directly to linuxtoday.com on the day this thread was started. See post #10.

And which still work today.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast