Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD dual graphics question

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: AMD dual graphics question

Quote Originally Posted by Val87 View Post
    Will Ubuntu then decide itself witch adapter is running when based on the load or wil i need to switch manually? As that process seems to be fairly eeasy to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I've never tried it
    You'll need to specify for yourself which applications you want to be using which graphics device.

Also, what about keyboard backlight and Radeon Sync? And RGB mouse and headsets, mouse being the asus mouse and headset from Corsair? Will all of this somehow work but with no config?
    No.

The hardware manufacturers can't decide on an RGB specification for their devices, so their solution on Windows is to have you run a bajillion bits of software to control each device. They could do the same on Linux, and it would work, but they haven't bothered to make their widgets available on Linux.

On the reverse-engineering side, no one else has settled on a specification that is compatible with every manufacturer's baubles and that behaves in a sensible way. Some people have done some work that makes the baubles they personally have work.

In all likelihood you won't be able to control any of your RGB things from Linux.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You'll need to specify for yourself which applications you want to be using which graphics device.

No.

The hardware manufacturers can't decide on an RGB specification for their devices, so their solution on Windows is to have you run a bajillion bits of software to control each device. They could do the same on Linux, and it would work, but they haven't bothered to make their widgets available on Linux.

On the reverse-engineering side, no one else has settled on a specification that is compatible with every manufacturer's baubles and that behaves in a sensible way. Some people have done some work that makes the baubles they personally have work.

In all likelihood you won't be able to control any of your RGB things from Linux.
    Damn it! And I got so exited after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE
    They are talking about two other distros there: Pop!_OS & Manjaro one of them being an Ubuntu clone. Apparently they are ahead of ubuntu on hardware config, would they be viable and less "messy"?
    If you think someone is out to get you, they probably are ... L.J Gibbs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the answer, and your effort! And what about Steam? Look here at this videos, it is in English, but there they show what they do for the minutes from the 5th so as not to listen to all the prelude, everything seems to be pulling nicely? Or am I just a noob? There they went Skyrim without native support for Linux and even on good graphics?
    Last edited by wildmanne39; June 23rd, 2019 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Removed quoted content in Language other then English
    If you think someone is out to get you, they probably are ... L.J Gibbs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello, you are posting in an English only forum, please translate all your posts into English for the good of the whole community, I looked and did not find a Sub-forum in your Language that you can post in on this forum, if you can find one you are more then welcome to post in your Native Language in that sub-forum.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

For those of you who may be confused by this thread: some posts, written in another language, have been removed due to their rude and off-color nature. Continuity has suffered, but we want the OP to have a chance at some support.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Give output of:
    Code:
    glxinfo -B
    DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo -B
    If all is well, you can run programs on the discrete GPU using DRI_PRIME as ^above.
    Code:
    DRI_PRIME=1 nameofprogram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12