Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TechLead claims almost all software developers in high tech firms use MacOS

Beans

TechLead claims almost all software developers in high tech firms use MacOS

Here are the videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghTwo5Kvbmo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGskPedj6s

So is that true? Almost no high tech developer in high tech firm would even use Windows, Ubuntu, or other Linux distro? So people use Ubuntu mainly just as a hobby!?
    Last edited by j2ee; June 22nd, 2019 at 07:00 PM.

Beans

Re: TechLead claims almost all software developers in high tech firms use MacOS

What are those development software that he said only for MasOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No . . . . just not so. Mac hardware is not even allowed at most organizations. Developers use all platforms including Android. Overall, Linux based development is greater (more hardware, servers, routers, autos, mainframes, Space Stations, the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, and IoT devices of all kinds.)
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wuuut?

I don't know where that young feller is hanging out. Probably with Mac developers, which might explain that what he sees is people using Macs.

I've been at this more than 40 years. Desktop development is heavily weighted towards Windows just because of the market share. People usually use Windows machines for that development. A good bit of enterprise development is done on Windows and Linux, since they run the enterprise. Web backbone stuff? Linux. Websites? Microsoft and open source. Scientific computing? Linux. Period.

Graphic artists are best served by Mac, and that is just how it is.

If I ever run across the guy, I'll smile and let him know how much I make from my "hobby" of not using Mac ...
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Wuuut?

I don't know where that young feller is hanging out. Probably with Mac developers, which might explain that what he sees is people using Macs.

I've been at this more than 40 years. Desktop development is heavily weighted towards Windows just because of the market share. People usually use Windows machines for that development. A good bit of enterprise development is done on Windows and Linux, since they run the enterprise. Web backbone stuff? Linux. Websites? Microsoft and open source. Scientific computing? Linux. Period.

Graphic artists are best served by Mac, and that is just how it is.

If I ever run across the guy, I'll smile and let him know how much I make from my "hobby" of not using Mac ...
    I don't believe developers in Google headquarters mainly carry macbook pro, just my feeling...

Beans

Here are a lot of youtube videos of Google staff daily life:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lifeatgoogle/videos
    It is true that it looks like at least 50% or more using macbook, I don't really see anyone using Linux or Ubuntu....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Even if they are, who cares?

Why should that influence your choices?

And to be honest I got bored watching the original video, seems to me the guy just likes hearing the sound of his own voice. All bluff and no substance.

Beans

Look like people in Google either using macbook or chromebook, but chromebook look like just not really practical at all without a real fully functional terminal:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/co..._available_in/
    May be just showing some chormebooks in front of the camera

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    Here are a lot of youtube videos of Google staff daily life:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/lifeatgoogle/videos
    It is true that it looks like at least 50% or more using macbook, I don't really see anyone using Linux or Ubuntu....
    Lots of people buy Apple for the hardware, wipe it, and load a Linux version on it. I see this at my LUG every month. A few of the power users have switched from Apple HW to Dell XPS 13 laptops. They like the Dells better.

If you do iOS or OSX development, there is no choice. You must use a Mac. For everything else, people use Windows and Linux.

In the videos, that guy showed plenty of ignorance about Linux desktops. Windows desktops are used in corporate environments the most, by far. At most companies, you don't get a choice of the computer at your desk. The day you arrive, it will be Windows. Only if you are in the 1 group doing iOS development would you have an apple computer. Everyone else has Windows on their desk.

This year, lots of companies are rethinking Windows on the desk. They don't want Win10 and they've been moving to Webapps for everything they can so the desktop doesn't matter, but Apple isn't the main alternative due to costs and their IT support guys would need to be trained. OTOH, 50% of the servers have been running Linux for a decade, so they already have in-house IT experts on that.

Anyways, TechLead lives in a bubble, just like we all do. We all see what we want to see when we look around.

I've had 2 chromebooks since 2011. They have a terminal. You can also run a nearly full Ubuntu on many of them. After a few months doing that, I'd usually wipe the chromeOS off and load an Ubuntu version. Ran great for years that way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Lots of people buy Apple for the hardware, wipe it, and load a Linux version on it. I see this at my LUG every month. A few of the power users have switched from Apple HW to Dell XPS 13 laptops. They like the Dells better.

If you do iOS or OSX development, there is no choice. You must use a Mac. For everything else, people use Windows and Linux.

In the videos, that guy showed plenty of ignorance about Linux desktops. Windows desktops are used in corporate environments the most, by far. At most companies, you don't get a choice of the computer at your desk. The day you arrive, it will be Windows. Only if you are in the 1 group doing iOS development would you have an apple computer. Everyone else has Windows on their desk.

This year, lots of companies are rethinking Windows on the desk. They don't want Win10 and they've been moving to Webapps for everything they can so the desktop doesn't matter, but Apple isn't the main alternative due to costs and their IT support guys would need to be trained. OTOH, 50% of the servers have been running Linux for a decade, so they already have in-house IT experts on that.

Anyways, TechLead lives in a bubble, just like we all do. We all see what we want to see when we look around.

I've had 2 chromebooks since 2011. They have a terminal. You can also run a nearly full Ubuntu on many of them. After a few months doing that, I'd usually wipe the chromeOS off and load an Ubuntu version. Ran great for years that way.
    In the vidoes above, the Google staff really uses MacOS in Macbooks, can tell from a lot of camera shots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast