Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird processes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

weird processes

i recently noticed that there are 3 processes called tracker-store, tracker-miner-fs and tracker-miner-apps in system monitor. whats up with them? have i been infected with some malware? are they part of the OS? but then why can i kill them with zero consequences? needless to say, after the next restart theyre back
    I TNO, therefore I am.

Beans

Re: weird processes

The tracker-miner-apps is the useless desktop search function of Gnome. It was originally invented by KDE and when the developer died, the code got a life of its own and spread to Gnome and even to Windows also.

As far as I am concerned, it is completely useless, except for keeping your battery flat and your flat warm. So you can uninstall/disable/nuke it without consequence.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by hmiersch View Post
    ... have i been infected with some malware? are they part of the OS? but then why can i kill them with zero consequences? needless to say, after the next restart theyre back
    No, you haven't been infected with any malware. They are standard Ubuntu OS processes and are a usual part of any Ubuntu installation.

From --this link-- on AskUbuntu; what the tracker processes do...
    What does these processes do?
    Tracker is a synergy of technologies that are designed to provide a highly sophisticated, innovative and integrated desktop.
    Tracker provides the following:

• Indexer for desktop search (for more details see this spec : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IntegratedDesktopSearch)
    • Tag database for doing keyword tagging of any object
    • Extensible metadata database for apps like gedit and rhythmbox which need to add custom metadata to files
    • Database for first class objects allows using tracker's database for storage and implementation of First Class Objects and the Gnome 3.0 Model.
    The first answer at the link above also gives information on how to stop the processes if needed (Note that link refers to 16.04 so I am not sure if it will work with newer releases).

Some Xenial manpages for them ...
    -- tracker-daemon --
    -- tracker-miner-fs --
    and
    -- tracker-store --

All blue text above contains links to further information that may help you understand what those processes are for in Ubuntu.

Regards, yeti.

Beans

Yes, the halfwit indexing is part of Gnome and KDE and totally useless to me (and prolly most everybody). Once in five years when I need to search for a file, I use the find command. I don't need a badly designed indexing program to run my battery down all the time, in order to save me 2 milliseconds of searching once in five years. Maybe I may need it more once Altzheimers sets in, but then I probably won't know what to search for either, so then it would still be useless.
    Last edited by HermanAB; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

+1 for Herman's answers.
    I use locate or find to find stuff 99% of the time. Locate defaults to indexing once a day via updatedb. It works on filenames. find searchs on a file types, sizes, names, access/create/modification times, but it doesn't pre-index anything so it is slower as it traverses the directories at run time.

IF I want desktop search, I use recoll, which is a monster, but I control when the re-index runs. Recoll is like having google for your desktop. Very fast, very thorough, but it deals with word roots, different endings, tense changes, and sound-a-likes. The results are extremely fast. There's a GUI and CLI versions.

There are other desktop search tools like Beagle. https://www.linux.com/news/efficient...arching-beagle

Found this description of tracker:
    Tracker is a part of GNOME Project and it tries to adhere to various useless technologies, like DBus. Tracker introduces the concept of file tags, thus over complicating the task of file management.
    Code:
    sudo apt purge tracker
    will make it go away. I need to add that to my list of packages to remove when building a new system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

so where do i find those processes? can i just delete them, or is it more complicated? and are there any more useless apps that i can get rid of?
    I TNO, therefore I am.

Beans

There are lots of more of less useless things in Ubuntu: AppArmor, Cloud-init, Zeroconf networking, Snapd... the list goes on and on and on...

Google is your friend on how to remove these things.

Otherwise, just give up and install OpenBSD or Slackware to get some speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    There are lots of more of less useless things in Ubuntu: AppArmor
    I can probably agree about most of the other processes you mentioned but could you please expand on why you consider AppArmor to fall into the category of useless things?

First time I have heard this and would be curious to understand why you think so.

Thanks.

Beans

Mandatory Access Controls like AppArmor and SELinux arguably have their use as another layer of the security onion on a server, which is exposed to the wild wild web. On a personal machine, they are of limited utility and bog the machine down, as each and every file access is checked against a list of permissions.

Disabling AppArmor, SELinux or Tomoyo, will noticeably speed a machine up and Theo De Raadt of OpenBSD, as well as Patrick Volkerding of Slackware, both argue that the added complexity is not worth it in the end. I happen to agree with them.

I tend to leave these energy sapping things running on a new machine, but eventually I need to do a computationally intensive simulation and then I end up hunting around for useless processes to kill and never bother to enable them again.
    Last edited by HermanAB; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    There are lots of more of less useless things in Ubuntu: AppArmor, Cloud-init, Zeroconf networking, Snapd... the list goes on and on and on...
    none of those processes are running on my system, so i don't really care about them. but i did get rid of those tracker* things - i hope. the next restart will tell...
    I TNO, therefore I am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast