Thread: Show Applications - Frequent

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Show Applications - Frequent

Folks,

Curious, this is not a major problem but am puzzled.

I use the terminal quite regularly as I ssh into a few machines.

My terminal does not show in the 'frequent' list although some other applications I use less often do.

Appreciate Ctrl-Alt-t is a quicker option though.

Geffers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Show Applications - Frequent

I've re-re-read the post above and still can't figure out what you are saying or seeking. I spend 10+ hrs a day using terminals connected to different systems. Care to explain or ask a question?

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I was a little confused too but it seems this is actually a GNOME Shell question.

GNOME Shell has a "Show Applications" button that displays a screenful of icons which represent either frequently used applications or all installed applications. In Ubuntu 18.04 I don't see an icon for the terminal either although I do for terminator.

However, when using the current development version (19.10) an icon for the terminal is shown on the frequently used applications screen. Perhaps a bug that has been fixed in later versions of GNOME Shell? I rarely use these screens so it's not something that I've come across before.
    Last edited by PaulW2U; June 22nd, 2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added some extra info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ahhhh. I was thinking along the lines of popcon, popularity contest, stuff. Program name is popcon-largest-unused.

Guess my use of fvwm or openbox for my desktop isn't helping here.

Beans

Terminal is shown in the second of three groups under "All" on my Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe you are looking only at the first group? I agree that stuff that one would think should be "Frequent" isn't. The reverse is also true. Why is "Document Viewer" Frequent while gedit (Text) isn't?

Rather than looking through all those icons, my suggestion is just press "T" for terminal and it shows up as a search result on the overview screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I've re-re-read the post above and still can't figure out what you are saying or seeking. I spend 10+ hrs a day using terminals connected to different systems. Care to explain or ask a question?
    My terminal does not show in the 'frequent' list although some other applications I use less often do. - Maybe I should have said 'anyone know why this is'

Seems you were not the only one confused so I must have worded it a wee bit obscurely. Apologies.

Geffers
    Last edited by Geoff_Lane; July 5th, 2019 at 10:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool Re: Show Applications - Frequent

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post

However, when using the current development version (19.10) an icon for the terminal is shown on the frequently used applications screen. Perhaps a bug that has been fixed in later versions of GNOME Shell? I rarely use these screens so it's not something that I've come across before.
    I tend to stay with the LTS versions so as mentioned in initial post, curious rather than a major issue.

If you were confused too I obviously worked my enquiry wrong.

Thanks for reply.

Geffers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Terminal is shown in the second of three groups under "All" on my Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe you are looking only at the first group? I agree that stuff that one would think should be "Frequent" isn't. The reverse is also true. Why is "Document Viewer" Frequent while gedit (Text) isn't?

Rather than looking through all those icons, my suggestion is just press "T" for terminal and it shows up as a search result on the overview screen.
    Actually I've usually typed 'ter' but yes, T is quicker

Geffers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_Lane View Post
    My terminal does not show in the 'frequent' list although some other applications I use less often do. - Maybe I should have said 'anyone know why this is'

Seems you were not the only one confused so I must have worded it a wee bit obscurely. Apologies.

Geffers
    I can confirm your issue. Terminal and GUFW are both opened several times a day, yet neither show in the Frequent screen. I do have Terminal on the faorites bar, so not really an issue. GUFW can't be added to favorites, by default.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]