Thread: possible to access internet on moto e4 via usb connection to ubuntu desktop computer?

Beans

possible to access internet on moto e4 via usb connection to ubuntu desktop computer?

Just bought a motorola moto e4. This is the first cell phone I have ever used, so I don't know much about them. Is it possible to access the internet on my cellphone via my xubuntu 18.04 desktop comp with a direct usb connection? I have a plugables adapter which works when I plug it into the cellphone and then into my cable modem/router via lan. But this drains the battery fast. I would like to access the internet on my phone while at the same time charging the battery. (I can charge the battery and access the net on my phone via wifi from my modem/router, but prefer not to use wifi if possible).

I have installed mtp-tools and jmtpfs. When I plug the phone into my xubuntu 18.04 desktop, an icon for moto e4 appears on the desktop. I swipe down from the top on my phone and there is written "USB for file transfer" (Other options are "charge this device" , "transfer photos" and "use device as midi" . I have selected "use for file transfer" but still have no internet on the phone. Can anyone help? Please note I am not very expert with linux, so don't assume too much knowledge on my part.

Beans

Re: possible to access internet on moto e4 via usb connection to ubuntu desktop compu

Does the router support wifi? If so, just connect from the phone using that. From the specifications at https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-e-gen-4

Wi-Fi
    802.11a/b/g/n
    Wi-Fi hotspot
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users