Thread: Turn off cpufan, silent computer.

Beans

Turn off cpufan, silent computer.

Hej.
    In windows 10 there is several applications turning cpu fan completely off so computer is silent but how do I do it in ubuntu ? I can not use ubuntu with a noisy fan.

No one will be happier if I fry this computer by turning off cpu fan but I have not been able breaking it yet using windblows allthough Im editing lot of films and presentations for five years now. It just wont break eventhough cpu temp is up at 90*C. I think the cautions of cpu cooling and temperatures is highly exagerated, they wont break and trust me, I have been trying hard for five years as I have good backup hygiene(firewall/updates is always disabled as i have no patience with virus or updates, you only get viruses as long as you are buying updates, if you stop paying for updates & virus software all virus attacks also stops and you get a reliable efficient computer).

If I fry this computer I will have legit excuse get rid of this and buying a new fanless silent computer.

Acer aspire es151222kw intel quad n2920.

Any advice for scripts appreciated, and yes I could cut the cord to the cpu fan but I would prefer doing it by software as in windows 10.

Kindly K.Jolf.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Turn off cpufan, silent computer.

Install lm-sensors & fancontrol
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2210...trol-fan-speed

Lm-sensors is a hardware health monitoring package for Linux. It allows you
    to access information from temperature, voltage, and fan speed sensors. It
    works with most newer systems.

This package contains a daemon that calculates fan speeds from temperatures
    and sets the corresponding PWM outputs to the computed values. This is
    useful when this feature is not provided by the BIOS or ACPI, which should
    normally be the case on a laptop.
    Last edited by dino99; June 17th, 2019 at 08:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Turn off cpufan, silent computer.

Quote Originally Posted by knabbjolf2 View Post
    No one will be happier if I fry this computer by turning off cpu fan but I have not been able breaking it yet using windblows allthough Im editing lot of films and presentations for five years now. It just wont break eventhough cpu temp is up at 90*C. I think the cautions of cpu cooling and temperatures is highly exagerated, they wont break a.
    higher temperatures are probably less efficient
    when it reaches a high enough temp it will turn off to protect itself
    obviously you haven't thrown enough at it so it didn't get too hot. + it likely has a good cooler on it and it is connected to CPU with a good thermal paste.

i once had the radiator move slightly. it turn off as soon as i presented it with a more difficult app. - reason was overheating.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla