Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading NVidia driver

Beans

Re: Upgrading NVidia driver

You can't "upgrade" with the Nvidia driver so you have to uninstall it, upgrade then reinstall the Nvidia driver. But why even bother?? Just back up your data and do a clean install, a lot faster and easier.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_Diener View Post
    As explained above switching to the nouveau driver give sme a 640 x 400 screen and all windows get cut off at the bottom, so it is impossible for me to upgrade at that resolution. If I could change the resolution once I switch back to the nouveau driver to something I could work with I would. The only reason I am trying to update to 18.10 is because I can then update to 19.04. I see no path to update from 18.04 to 19.04.
    You don't need to use the windows to upgrade, you can do it from the command line. Either a terminal or TTY. I'm pretty sure the command is do-release-upgrade.

You'll be able to upgrade straight from 18.04 to 19.04 after 18.10 has been end-of-lifed.

Again, I'd recommend staying on the LTS release.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Edward_Diener; Ho-Kay

The "dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia" output shows that there is a driver conflict. System has no idea of which driver to use.

Let's begin the clean up and prep to properly re-install the driver,
    show us:
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
    ls -al /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf
    However, if it is the desire to continue on to the 18.10 release, then we want to remove the proprietary graphic's drivers, and make sure that nouveau is then functional.

the call is yours
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    Edward_Diener; Ho-Kay

The "dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia" output shows that there is a driver conflict. System has no idea of which driver to use.

Let's begin the clean up and prep to properly re-install the driver,
    show us:
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
    ls -al /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf
    However, if it is the desire to continue on to the 18.10 release, then we want to remove the proprietary graphic's drivers, and make sure that nouveau is then functional.
    the call is yours
    I was able to install the latest proprietary graphic driver, 430 instead of 390, for my GeForce GTX 960 from ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa. My problem with the nouveau driver is that it does not recognize my monitor and so works in only 640 x 400 mode, which is ancient and ridiculous to deal with. No one should have to switch to a 640 x 400 screen just to upgrade a release. I also do not understand why I would need to remove all the proprietary drivers just to use the nouveau driver. The Additional Drivers page provides a way to switch between any of the NVidia proprietary drivers and the nouveau driver without having to remove anything. But as far as the nouveau driver it is hopeless. I can't even install the latest nouveau driver offered by 18.04, for some reason, in the hopes of fixing the ridiculous 640 x 400 problem.

Beans
    Distro

I was able to install the latest proprietary graphic driver, 430 instead of 390, for my GeForce GTX 960 from ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa. My problem with the nouveau driver is that it does not recognize my monitor and so works in only 640 x 400 mode, which is ancient and ridiculous to deal with. No one should have to switch to a 640 x 400 screen just to upgrade a release. I also do not understand why I would need to remove all the proprietary drivers just to use the nouveau driver. The Additional Drivers page provides a way to switch between any of the NVidia proprietary drivers and the nouveau driver without having to remove anything. But as far as the nouveau driver it is hopeless. I can't even install the latest nouveau driver offered by 18.04, for some reason, in the hopes of fixing the ridiculous 640 x 400 problem.
    You should slow down.

You don't need to install the nouveau driver. The kernel bits are already part of the kernel, and the non-kernel bits are already part of Mesa. Installing the proprietary driver configures those parts to not be used and removing the proprietary driver, ideally, configures those parts to be used again.

The Additional Drivers page doesn't provide a way to switch between the drivers without adding or removing anything. It's exactly the same packages, running exactly the same scripts, as doing so directly through the package manager. It also comes with exactly the same flaws as installing the packages any other way, with the added wrinkle that you don't get to see Terminal output.

The nouveau driver isn't as good at auto-detecting screen modes as the proprietary driver. Nvidia could help with that, but they don't. It is still possible to configure screen modes manually with the nouveau driver, but most people don't bother because they want the proprietary driver anyway.

You don't have to remove the PPAs and their packages before doing the upgrade, but having random and untested mix-and-matched package versions sharply increases your chances of having a botched upgrade. As you've already done.

It takes moments to start the upgrade from the command line, and then you can wander off and do something else, which means you don't have to look at that painful VGA resolution any more. Heck, you can do it from your phone and never look at your monitor at all.

None of us here are Ubuntu developers, or nouveau developers, or Nvidia developers, or package maintainers, or in any way responsible for the software or its configuration on your computer. We are volunteers offering knowledge to help you out, for free. Try to keep your frustration in check.

I'll also mention, again, that sticking with the LTS releases is, by far, the best solution for you. Particularly if you would find merely having a sub-optimal resolution for maybe an hour so frustrating, using the guinea pig releases doesn't seem like a good fit for your temperament.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You should slow down.

You don't need to install the nouveau driver. The kernel bits are already part of the kernel, and the non-kernel bits are already part of Mesa. Installing the proprietary driver configures those parts to not be used and removing the proprietary driver, ideally, configures those parts to be used again.

The Additional Drivers page doesn't provide a way to switch between the drivers without adding or removing anything. It's exactly the same packages, running exactly the same scripts, as doing so directly through the package manager. It also comes with exactly the same flaws as installing the packages any other way, with the added wrinkle that you don't get to see Terminal output.

The nouveau driver isn't as good at auto-detecting screen modes as the proprietary driver. Nvidia could help with that, but they don't. It is still possible to configure screen modes manually with the nouveau driver, but most people don't bother because they want the proprietary driver anyway.

You don't have to remove the PPAs and their packages before doing the upgrade, but having random and untested mix-and-matched package versions sharply increases your chances of having a botched upgrade. As you've already done.

It takes moments to start the upgrade from the command line, and then you can wander off and do something else, which means you don't have to look at that painful VGA resolution any more. Heck, you can do it from your phone and never look at your monitor at all.

None of us here are Ubuntu developers, or nouveau developers, or Nvidia developers, or package maintainers, or in any way responsible for the software or its configuration on your computer. We are volunteers offering knowledge to help you out, for free. Try to keep your frustration in check.

I'll also mention, again, that sticking with the LTS releases is, by far, the best solution for you. Particularly if you would find merely having a sub-optimal resolution for maybe an hour so frustrating, using the guinea pig releases doesn't seem like a good fit for your temperament.
    I am just trying to upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10 so that I can subsequently upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04. I am not interested in non-LTS releases. If Ubuntu offered a way to skip the non-LTS release 18.10 in order to go from 18.04 to 19.04 I would have tried that.

Let's say I switch to the nouveau driver for the purposes of the upgrade. How can I configure the nouveau driver manually so that it gives me something other than 640 x 400 resolution ? I usually run 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Beans
    Distro

I am just trying to upgrade from 18.04 to 18.10 so that I can subsequently upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04. I am not interested in non-LTS releases. If Ubuntu offered a way to skip the non-LTS release 18.10 in order to go from 18.04 to 19.04 I would have tried that.
    19.04 isn't an LTS release, either. The next LTS is 20.04.

Let's say I switch to the nouveau driver for the purposes of the upgrade. How can I configure the nouveau driver manually so that it gives me something other than 640 x 400 resolution ? I usually run 1920 x 1080 resolution.
    By adding either sufficient EDID (or EDID-like, from the monitor manual) information so that the resolution can be automatically determined (HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges are normally sufficient) or a full Coordinated Video Timings modeline from xrandr, and putting that in your xorg.conf. It's your BIOS that sets the resolution to 640×480, and nothing else is confident enough to set it to something else without breaking your monitor, so it doesn't. Nvidia's driver seems to have some special sauce for getting EDID out of monitors that the nouveau driver lacks.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12