Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 years old 1GB ram notebook, Lubuntu or Xubuntu?

j2ee is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

15 years old 1GB ram notebook, Lubuntu or Xubuntu?

I looked at some youtube testing, xubuntu only uses around 100MB ram more but seem like the gui graphic is much better. Should I try xubuntu first?

Beans

Re: 15 years old 1GB ram notebook, Lubuntu or Xubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    I looked at some youtube testing, xubuntu only uses around 100MB ram more but seem like the gui graphic is much better. Should I try xubuntu first?
    Either one should work fine from my experience although the deal killer is the resource hungry browsers of today.

This imo would be a better choice although again the browsers will be the deal killer.

About antiX – antiX Linux

antiX-forum – Forum for users of antiX linux. "Mean and Lean"

antiX-FAQ antiX-FAQ
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

You will probably get more enjoyment out of the GUI you like, so go for it, you can always try other ones after, if it is too much for your system. Just limit what you try to do at once, couple of tabs open at a time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Either one should work fine from my experience although the deal killer is the resource hungry browsers of today.

This imo would be a better choice although again the browsers will be the deal killer.

antiX-FAQ antiX-FAQ
    +1 for antiX.

On my old (7-8 years) laptop it boots to the desktop in about 8 seconds even from the live medium.

Worth looking into.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post

antiX-FAQ antiX-FAQ
    Why antiX Linux is better than Lubuntu or Xubuntu for my case? Even more lightweight?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

antiX is very light on resources and quite fast on low resources machines. Xubuntu and Lubuntu are a bit heavier and will be slower IMHO. Good luck.
    You may also want to give Puppy a try on that machine.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

1 GIG should be enough for Xubuntu. I have antiX working on an ancient 32-bit laptop and it's screaming fast! BUT it isn't for newbies, "simple, casual" users, or technophobes like me. It's kinda advanced, but omygosh, ultralight fast. So is Bunsen Labs Linux, by the way: Debian Stable base, Openbox interface (not a true desktop environment but still pretty easy to figure out, just right-click on a blank part of the screen to bring up a menu full of options).

For a total brand-newbie experience of the wonderful Xfce desktop that seems a little quicker than Xubuntu, try Linux Lite and/or MX-Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Xubuntu is good! I use it on a Pentium 4 with 1.25 GB, that is now used as a backup server. I also can recommend Peppermint, which is the sexy sister of Lubuntu. I used that till April for visitors mostly children on the same Pentium.
    If you want a fast system use btrfs and lzo file compression. It saves space and speed up disk IO, because more data is stored in a sector, so less sectors need to be read. I used it with Peppermint with two 40 GB IDE disks, btrfs and Raid-0 and the system booted in 45 seconds!

Beans

Lubuntu and Xubuntu and MX-18 and Peppermint 10 are all excellent choices for low powered computers.

https://lubuntu.net/

https://xubuntu.org/

https://mxlinux.org/

https://peppermintos.com/
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

By the way the laptop is thinkpad t60. Worth it to buy a ssd for it? Its harddisk is sata 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast