Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install ClamAV

Beans

Install ClamAV

Hello everyone,
    I Just finished installing ClamAV from source (using their guide) but while i was testing it I noticed that there isn't any freshclam.log folder and that means i have no idea if clamav will automatically update the signatures or not...

I tried to change the freshclam.conf by removing # in #UpdateLogFile /var/log/freshclam.log... but then sudo freshclam stopped working and got this: ERROR: Can't open /var/log/freshclam.log in append mode (check permissions!).
    ERROR: Problem with internal logger (UpdateLogFile = /var/log/freshclam.log).

Sudo freshclam seems to be working if i let the #UpdateLogFile, but than I will have to update manually the antivirus... Can anybody help me?

Not sure if this can help, but freshclam is in local.
    whereis freshclam
    freshclam: /usr/local/bin/freshclam /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf

Thanks in advance, have a great day
    Last edited by larry90; June 16th, 2019 at 07:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Install ClamAV

I believe that that program is no longer being updated: not sure though. My question to you would be, "Why are you running a virus scanner on Linux?" There is no need for one. The only viruses that Clam detected (when it was working) were Windows viruses to prevent you from passing them along to you Windows' friends. 13 machines running here: 2 of them have very public accessibility. No AV programs on any of them, not a single virus in 9+ years.

Beans

I installed antivirus because I m dual booting windows and ubuntu and i often share files, documents, etc, I also pass them to some other ppl using windows. I tought ClamAV was a light and updated antivirus and that's why I installed it... maybe u have some suggestion?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    I believe that that program is no longer being updated:
    Why would you believe that?

@larry90, why are you compiling from source? Clamav is in the repositories and can be installed from whichever package manager you prefer. Updates to the virus signatures still appear to be being issued so reports of Clamav's demise might possibly be an exaggeration (with apologies to Mark Twain).
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

I installed from source because the ClamAV version in ubuntu 18.04 is still 100.3 but in their site i found the version 101. Maybe i could simply remove my 101 version and install the one coming with ubuntu, even if the version is older, the virus database should be the same but i would fix my freshclam auto update problem.

Btw thank for your relpy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    I believe that that program is no longer being updated: not sure though. My question to you would be, "Why are you running a virus scanner on Linux?" There is no need for one. The only viruses that Clam detected (when it was working) were Windows viruses to prevent you from passing them along to you Windows' friends. 13 machines running here: 2 of them have very public accessibility. No AV programs on any of them, not a single virus in 9+ years.
    E&O insurance mandates that AV be installed and running. If I worked with Windows and had a file server, I'd consider running AV on that machine. Same for an email server - where I do run AV. People still try to email viruses.

Beans

Ok than here is the question
    Better clamAV version 100.3 autoupdating or version 101.1 but with manual update?

Ty in advance for your opinion!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Use the version from the repos.
    It'll give a warning of it being outdated, but always work as expected. (Or should)
    The Ubuntu devs patch it regularly to keep it functional.
    It gets security fixes which will come to you through regular system updates.
    If you Install it manually from source you'd have to keep patching or reinstalling it yourself for every new fix that comes along.
    So more convenient to just use the repo one.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Use the version from the repos.
    It'll give a warning of it being outdated, but always work as expected. (Or should)
    The Ubuntu devs patch it regularly to keep it functional.
    It gets security fixes which will come to you through regular system updates.
    If you Install it manually from source you'd have to keep patching or reinstalling it yourself for every new fix that comes along.
    So more convenient to just use the repo one.
    +1 could not have said it better.

Beans

Ok than, as you all suggested I m going to install it from repos!
    Thanks everyone for your help!
    Have a good day!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast