Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What other distros should I try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

What other distros should I try?

I'm trying to get more well rounded in different variations of Linux, especially in terms of installation, administration, setup, updates, package management/software installation, security etc.

I've used Ubuntu for years and am (mostly) comfortable with how things work and how to fix or tweak them. I recently installed Centos 7 in a VM and have been learning that ecosystem and am slowly getting more familiar with it as well. A lot of things are done differently in Centos/Redhat/Fedora than in Ubuntu/Debian.

I've also played with Linux Mint in the past, but that's mainly just Ubuntu with a different face... a different desktop manager.

So, in interest of educating myself, what other distros should I try, that are different from Ubuntu? Arch? SUSE?

I suppose in addition to this, I should play around with more desktop environments like KDE, MATE, etc. I've messed with xfce some (Xubuntu and Mythbuntu).

Suggestions y'all?
    Current 'buntu systems: multiple systems running Server or Desktop 22.04 LTS / Retired or Upgraded: 18.04.2 LTS, Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 8.04 LTS
    Been using ubuntu since 6.04 (16 years!)

Beans

Re: What other distros should I try?

Maybe you should consider rolling your own. I'm working on a new project, guess you could call it a micro build.
    terminator terminal emulator
    pico or nano text editor
    links2 or browsh browser
    midnight-commander file manager
    xdm display manager
    xmonad window manager
    xserver.xorg
    That should be the complete OS.

For my daily system I started with gnome-core package and built on that. Gnome-core is well put together and easy to add to.

Anyhow, just a thought

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've recently been testing MX Linux (based on Debian stable) and ArcoLinux (based on Arch).

Am impressed with some of the interesting features that both have to offer.

Would recommend taking them for a spin, so to speak.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Maybe you should consider rolling your own. I'm working on a new project, guess you could call it a micro build...
    What distro are you installing that has "nothing" included to start with? Some sort of minimal Ubuntu install?

I suppose if I really wanted to roll my own, I would start from the kernel up... LOL. Now that would be a project.

I'm mainly wanting to learn the package and administration management of various distro groups... I already know Debian's apt, and am getting familar with Centos/RHEL/Fedora's yum.

P.S. I use terminator too.
    Current 'buntu systems: multiple systems running Server or Desktop 22.04 LTS / Retired or Upgraded: 18.04.2 LTS, Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 8.04 LTS

Beans

Yes you can start with just the kernel, but when your finished you will probably find it has the same content as the prebuilt packages already offered for such builds.

I rarely distro hop, but Solaris stood out for me. Been around for 20+ years. Oracle took it over 9 years ago and is now called Oracle Solaris.

Beans

Try Manjaro using the Manjaro Architect installer. With that, you can install any desktop environment they offer, with a full desktop install or minimal install. Options to pick the kernel to use, boot loader, applications and so on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gentoo if you really want to be forced to learn Linux. Then use Linux from Scratch to make your own distro.

TinyCore if you need a 12MB Desktop. Great for highly specialized needs.

Slackware if you want some history.

Arch if you think slackware is too hard, but still want the pain.

Alpine of you do virtual machines or containers and lite is desired.

CentOS v8 - Join everyone in pain.
    Last edited by TheFu; July 13th, 2019 at 02:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    CentOS v8 - Join everyone in pain.
    Centos 8 isn't even out yet, is it? Or is it in development/pre-release like Ubuntu 19.10?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I would also suggest Arcolinux, a simpler to install version of Arch, as worth trying. It's a rolling release so once installed you have only to keep running normal updates and never (in theory, at least) install again.
    It is not so simple to use (in my opinion), particularly for installation of some packages that are very much run of the mill for me in Xubuntu, such as Libreoffice, surprisingly. That may.however, be simply because I am now so familiar with the Ubuntu family of OSs that I have not had any big problems or difficulties for a very long time

I tried it in a dual boot with Xubuntu-18.04 on my laptop recently and it worked extremely well for a fair time, but then I completely broke the boot system by deleting an incorrect entry in the /boot/efi partition; using Boot-repair did not help, unfortunately so I got rid of both the Xubuntu and Arcolinux and reinstalled Xubuntu with which I'm more comfortable after nearly 15 years of a *Ubuntu system.

If I had more time to investigate I would certainly investigate Arcolinux again, but as a single install next time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you are attracted to build your own system but starting from a position where all the nuts and bolts (e.g. network, graphics, sound) are already installed, then:-

https://unit193.net/xubuntu/

Also, I agree with the suggestion in post 3 about MX Linux. It has an interesting collection of MX Tools, especially the Remaster utility.
    In essence, you boot up a live session, add and remove packages as you wish, then create a new bootable iso (including persistence if required).

I found it to be quite entertaining.
    Last edited by tea for one; June 16th, 2019 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast