Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

j2ee is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

Welcome to share your thought please...
    Last edited by j2ee; June 15th, 2019 at 10:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

Moved to Chat, not a support request

Beans

My particular flavor of Ubuntu is Lubuntu and I will tell you why I use over MacOS or Windows.

It supports old hardware. My 13-year-old Dell Inspiron E1505 is still alive and kicking in 2019 thanks to Lubuntu. I don't like that fact that in order to use MacOS and Windows, you must have at least the latest hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ardouronerous View Post
    My particular flavor of Ubuntu is Lubuntu and I will tell you why I use over MacOS or Windows.

It supports old hardware. My 13-year-old Dell Inspiron E1505 is still alive and kicking in 2019 thanks to Lubuntu. I don't like that fact that in order to use MacOS and Windows, you must have at least the latest hardware.
    How slow would that be if you run the latest Ubuntu with your old Dell?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    How slow would that be if you run the latest Ubuntu with your old Dell?
    Ubuntu would be slow on my old Dell laptop due to the GNOME desktop environment. My Dell only has 1GB RAM, but I can still watch Youtube videos, check my email and surf the web, not all same time mind you, multitasking would be very difficult for 1GB RAM.

The fact that Lubuntu can do all of this under 1GB RAM is very impressive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why I Use a Linux Desktop : https://blog.jdpfu.com/2010/07/29/wh...-linux-desktop is a few pages of reasons. Mostly, it is around stability, connectivity, automation and package management.

Work gave me a new Mac with an i5 CPU. It was a nice machine. I tried it 8 hrs a day for a few weeks and found it extremely frustrating. Much of that was my fault for not being able to change a workflow I'd had 20+ yrs and part of it was because of the inflexibility of OSX. For the things that a Unix system should easily handle, I was frustrated by Apple renaming common things into "apple-speak." At the end of the 2nd week, I wanted to throw the Mac into the wall. I hadn't been able to accomplish anything on the list for why the company bought the machine. 20 yrs of learned keyboard accel keys doesn't get unlearned in a few weeks. OSX definitely showed some great consistency and had I learned it long ago, I'd probably love it. Under OSX, I missed all the flexibility and control that Unix WM allow.

It was this experience that taught me not to push anyone to use Linux. We each need to make that decision on our own and deal with the warts that every OS has.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Why I Use a Linux Desktop : https://blog.jdpfu.com/2010/07/29/wh...-linux-desktop is a few pages of reasons. Mostly, it is around stability, connectivity, automation and package management.

Work gave me a new Mac with an i5 CPU. It was a nice machine. I tried it 8 hrs a day for a few weeks and found it extremely frustrating. Much of that was my fault for not being able to change a workflow I'd had 20+ yrs and part of it was because of the inflexibility of OSX. For the things that a Unix system should easily handle, I was frustrated by Apple renaming common things into "apple-speak." At the end of the 2nd week, I wanted to throw the Mac into the wall. I hadn't been able to accomplish anything on the list for why the company bought the machine. 20 yrs of learned keyboard accel keys doesn't get unlearned in a few weeks. OSX definitely showed some great consistency and had I learned it long ago, I'd probably love it. Under OSX, I missed all the flexibility and control that Unix WM allow.

It was this experience that taught me not to push anyone to use Linux. We each need to make that decision on our own and deal with the warts that every OS has.
    You wrote that in 2010...I think the Windows and MacOS nowadays have improved a lot...

Beans

You wrote that in 2010...I think the Windows and MacOS nowadays have improved a lot...
    I haven't used an Apple since a Mac SE - a 9" screen and one of those new-fangled 3.5" floppy drives, so I can't comment on them. But as far as I can tell from my intermittent contact with it, Windows has just got worse and worse.

@TheFu: I think the mention of Wubi should probably go - I gather that's not supported any more. The rest looks good to me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That is a matter of opinion. They certainly have nailed the user data tracking and removal of user control.

To me, the perfect Linux was made in 2010 by Canonical.

All my articles have dates on them for a reason. Unlike many other websites that remove the date so their content doesn't seem "old", even when it is. Helpful to have the date right there, wasn't it?

Beans

The main reason for me to use Ubuntu and or Ubuntu flavors is the fact that Ubuntu works very well on all of my old 2010 desktop computers which Windows users have discarded believing them to be outdated and useless.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast