Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I think privacy is overrated. I think that no matter what they claim, they are always spying on you. Privacy is an illusion in a connected world.
    You make a good point here. Whether it's your Operating System, your Internet Service Provider, Web-Services (Email, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) or anything else you tend to do online, it's all being monitored, and data is being saved. But I don't think that's the main problem.

Windows 10 Telemetry is a background "service." And it is running by default in Windows 10. That's what bothers me the most. They are using my processor cycles. I only want running what I choose to be running. Now, people may argue that it is not very much of my process, or it only works when my system is idle.

Me, personally, I turn my computer off when I am not using it, and suspend it if I plan on coming back at a later time. I do NOT use hibernate (my personal preferences). So, as far as background processes are concerned, if you think of it like your vehicle... you wouldn't leave your vehicle running, if you were not using it, and you'd be quite upset if the vehicle was using extra gasoline (and pushing your motor harder) for someone else.

I use Ubuntu because it stays out of my way. I don't need to reboot all the time. It does what I need easily. It all updates with 1 command. And I have no illusions that I am any more secure because of it.
    Boom-Bam Baby.

It's a choice. Either way, they have you. You can try but you can't win. Money talks and unless you can read the source yourself you are no more informed than a Windows user on what your computer is really doing.
    it is definitely a choice. My mother once told me that she never worried about the kids playing around outside if she could hear them. If she didn't know what they were doing, she worried. Sound similar?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

So, I have to say this up front: I use both Linux and MacOS. Started with Windows back in 1993 and hated it at first sight. Switched to Linux in 1998 but kept Windows around for gaming. Eventually, after the forced "upgrade" to Windows 10 and massive frustration about various, countless issues, I dumped it entirely and am now very happily Windows free.

My laptop is a MacBook Pro because frankly, it just works and works exceedingly well. My daily driver desktop PC is Linux and always has been since 1998.

Windows has always been and will continue to be, until Microsoft throws it out and starts over, a steaming heap of garbage, kludged together over 20+ years of terrible UI designs (except Windows 7 for the most part) and countless other bad implementations. I am not going to laundry list my gripes because I think I will exceed the character limit provided here.

I use Windows 10 every day at work and it frustrates me to no end but my work pays the mortgage so it is a necessary evil.

Linux gives me control, period. It does the things I ask it to, without too much fuss. MacOS gives me NO control, but it absolutely works and without any fuss whatsoever, for my use cases. So the combination of MacOS on my personal laptop and Linux on my desktop gives me the best of both worlds, without the nightmarish horror that is Windows 10. Don't even get me started about Microsoft Office
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans

There is a program out there called "Shut-Up 10,"
    I used "something like that" at the time but it still didn't get everything, went through all the settings manually. Took about two days before I felt like I was done, or something like it.

One of my jobs is producing a magazine, and that requires that I use Adobe Software. More accurately, InDesign.
    I was one of the "original" DTP technicians back in the 90's, got to break in the first new gadget, something they called a "digital camera," a huge clunky device attached to the back of a land camera (result: "holy crap this changes EVERYTHING!")

We used . . . wait for it . . . Aldus Pagemaker (before they were bought by Adobe,) Quark Xpress, and Photoshop 1.0 whose competitor at the time was a software called Color Studio . . . watched them all grow (and grow too big for their britches.) Pagemaker was just being rebranded into InDesign right around the time I moved on to web work.

GIMP is a great alternative to Photoshop
    With a single exception: Adobe's color lookup tables and anti-moire screen distribution for 4/c offset are totally proprietary, well protected, and cannot be beat. You can input profiles to convert from RGB to CMYK with GCR/UCR and other print characteristic adjustments in GIMP. but they will never meet Adobe's CLUT's. For most people that kind of talk is akin to Martian language, as most people work with display and digital printers in which the CLUT's are irrelevant. Direct digital printing changed everything too.

I am stuck with using Windows for my graphic design work.
    Well, you could go to the really really dark side, "think different," and go Mac.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    I used "something like that" at the time but it still didn't get everything, went through all the settings manually. Took about two days before I felt like I was done, or something like it.
    Yup, to quote Pokemon, it's hard to catch 'em all. Now hardware manufacturers are putting telemetry in with their device drivers. i.e. Nvidia.

I was one of the "original" DTP technicians back in the 90's, got to break in the first new gadget, something they called a "digital camera," a huge clunky device attached to the back of a land camera (result: "holy crap this changes EVERYTHING!")

We used . . . wait for it . . . Aldus Pagemaker (before they were bought by Adobe,) Quark Xpress, and Photoshop 1.0 whose competitor at the time was a software called Color Studio . . . watched them all grow (and grow too big for their britches.) Pagemaker was just being rebranded into InDesign right around the time I moved on to web work.
    Aldus Pagemaker 4.2 ~ Adobe Pagemaker 6.0 Somewhere in there. I learned in that era as well. Started DTP in 1995.

With a single exception: Adobe's color lookup tables and anti-moire screen distribution for 4/c offset are totally proprietary, well protected, and cannot be beat. You can input profiles to convert from RGB to CMYK with GCR/UCR and other print characteristic adjustments in GIMP. but they will never meet Adobe's CLUT's. For most people that kind of talk is akin to Martian language, as most people work with display and digital printers in which the CLUT's are irrelevant. Direct digital printing changed everything too.
    There are numerous differences between Photoshop and GIMP. GIMP isn't always a viable option. But for most people who just want to color adjust and/or edit some photos, GIMP is a great alternative. There are color tables, printer adjustments for offset printing, and of course the whole PS system that was developed by Adobe. Most people don't need all of that stuff though.

Well, you could go to the really really dark side, "think different," and go Mac.
    I learned on a Mac. I remember when Apple decided to open themselves up to the "cloning" market, and lost their shirt and pants in the process. Fortunately they put a little clause in their OS Terms of Service that saved their skins in the end. The clause was something to the effect of "OSX can only be installed on Apple Certified Products." Which wasn't saying it could not be done, only that it legally should not be done.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234