Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

Beans

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

For me, I moved to Linux from Windows 10 based OS for the opportunity to be challenged by something new and something that is not so hammered down by proprietary powers over the use of a system. While Windows and MacOS do a great job, in my opinion, for running services, providing a stable environment, and power of strong presence in the minds of many users, I recently wiped off my Win10 system to be 100% Linux-Debian-Ubuntu so that I could try something new so to keep learning and challenging myself.

Being a very addicted gamer and not sure how this will work for me in Linux, I am sure that in a week of no strong game-play I will have a very intense motivation to get my Linux expertise up to where it is needed to be an effective user.

Additionally, mentioned by a few here already, and usually what most people think of in why a user moves to Linux based OS's, I wanted the freedom of the technology I own over the control over what I am told I can know and see. While I am not at the stage of fully grasping this reality yet - in time

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Background processes.

Windows 10 has three different Telemetry (Sending user data back to Microsoft.) All of which can be disabled with utilities (Shut-Up 10). But there are some settings that can not be disabled, and work in the background under the guise of "Windows Advertising ID". The new 1903 release has become even more frustrating... Just try to disable Cortana... I dare you.

And, it's getting even worse. Now, individual utilities and drivers have their own built in telemetry. (I'm looking at you Nvidia.) So, they get you coming and going.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Windows as an OS. It's actually a really good OS. But there are things Linux (in general) just handles better. For example: I just don't like the way all of these background functions clutter up your processor cycles, and talk back and forth to Microsoft all of the time. On a boot, Windows 10 uses 2.5g of my 16g of memory. This is without loading any programs, just the basic drivers and such that are required to make my system function.

One a boot of Kubuntu, I am using 0.8g of memory. This is again with all of the drivers required to make my computer function.

Kubuntu is a lean, mean. operating machine. Windows has too many parts.

I can't speak for Mac OS, but I do know that Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.) does not have these issues. And for that, I am thankful, and happily run their OS.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

The main reasons why I use Ubuntu, not Windows, is that it is more secure, 100% immune to viruses. I also love that is has low system requirements and a huge number of free software to customize the system with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Background processes.

Windows 10 has three different Telemetry (Sending user data back to Microsoft.) All of which can be disabled with utilities (Shut-Up 10). But there are some settings that can not be disabled, and work in the background under the guise of "Windows Advertising ID". The new 1903 release has become even more frustrating... Just try to disable Cortana... I dare you.

And, it's getting even worse. Now, individual utilities and drivers have their own built in telemetry. (I'm looking at you Nvidia.) So, they get you coming and going.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Windows as an OS. It's actually a really good OS. But there are things Linux (in general) just handles better. For example: I just don't like the way all of these background functions clutter up your processor cycles, and talk back and forth to Microsoft all of the time. On a boot, Windows 10 uses 2.5g of my 16g of memory. This is without loading any programs, just the basic drivers and such that are required to make my system function.

One a boot of Kubuntu, I am using 0.8g of memory. This is again with all of the drivers required to make my computer function.

Kubuntu is a lean, mean. operating machine. Windows has too many parts.

I can't speak for Mac OS, but I do know that Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.) does not have these issues. And for that, I am thankful, and happily run their OS.
    Ubuntu also collects your data

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    Not on the same level as Windows 10.
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/...ut-your-system
    Ubuntu doesn't collect any personal information and it is very easy to turn off the data collection.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/349844/how...about-your-pc/

I don't hate other operating systems, I just prefer Ubuntu to get things done the way I wanna get them done.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    Yes, but not the same type of data that Microsoft is collecting.

With certain utilities like Shut-Up10, you can disable a lot of Microsoft's Telemetry, but it still cannot be completely shut off. Other Microsoft applications collect data. I recently found out that Nvidia's Windows 10 drivers now have their own telemetry programs built-in! My video drivers?!?! Seriously?!?!

Also, it can be turned off COMPLETELY, according to Canonical.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/349844/how...about-your-pc/
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

I have worked with Macs since System Software 5 on Classics, and Windows since Win 3.11.
    I was a Mac fan (a McFan?) until I began opening boxes, seeing the same hardware, and price comparing. Something was wrong here.
    I was a Windows user until 2015, only occasionally dabbling with Linux/Gnome. That all ended with Windows 10.

I went for the free trial and did my homework, turned off the dozens of instances where Win 10 phones home with nearly every keystroke. Turned off the "features" that annoyed me and got to a more or less workable desktop and start menu. Uninstalled all the garbage apps I never wanted or needed, including Cortana. Waded through all the software compatibility issues, doing everything possible to justify my decision that Windows 10 could possibly be a Good Thing.

Then one day, the last day before the trial expired and I wouldn't be able to revert to Windows 7, the death stroke was the calculator. The calculator in Windows has always been a small footprint and lightweight app that does just what you need it to, nothing more, nothing less. What opened up was this huge window that looked like a poorly done high school web page project. But that isn't the bad thing. The bad thing was I opened the calculator and at the top I see . . . .

Connecting . . . .

Connecting? TO WHAT?

That was the last straw. No more paid updates, no more bloated software, no more proprietary pandering, I was done. I bought a new SSD, set up a dual boot, installed Ubuntu on the new drive, and the only reason I go back to Windows (SEVEN) is for a video editing app I haven't found an equivalent for. Like maybe twice a year, and then have to wade through the slow startup and nagware . . . .

Microsoft and Apple are following the ancient Roman model: they have grown too large and bloated, they don't care about their users, and it's all about the stats they bring to their marketing meetings and shareholders.

That is why I dumped Mac and Microsoft. And while I'm on the rant . . . . ADOBE is not far behind them. Subscriptions just to run software? REALLY?
    Last edited by sdsurfer; 1 Week Ago at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added ADOBE

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    I have worked with Macs since System Software 5 on Classics, and Windows since Win 3.11.
    I was a Mac fan (a McFan?) until I began opening boxes, seeing the same hardware, and price comparing. Something was wrong here.
    I was a Windows user until 2015, only occasionally dabbling with Linux/Gnome. That all ended with Windows 10.
    When Windows 10 was announced, I said the only way that it would be successful is if Microsoft gave it away for free. And they did. Kind-of...

I went for the free trial and did my homework, turned off the dozens of instances where Win 10 phones home with nearly every keystroke. Turned off the "features" that annoyed me and got to a more or less workable desktop and start menu. Uninstalled all the garbage apps I never wanted or needed, including Cortana. Waded through all the software compatibility issues, doing everything possible to justify my decision that Windows 10 could possibly be a Good Thing.
    There is a program out there called "Shut-Up 10," and it turns off a lot of the Windows communication issues. This actually makes Windows 10 run snappier and quicker. The sad fact is, that even with this program, you still cannot turn off all of the telemetry. Load up some Nvidia drivers in Windows 10. They have their own telemetry now!

Then one day, the last day before the trial expired and I wouldn't be able to revert to Windows 7, the death stroke was the calculator. The calculator in Windows has always been a small footprint and lightweight app that does just what you need it to, nothing more, nothing less. What opened up was this huge window that looked like a poorly done high school web page project. But that isn't the bad thing. The bad thing was I opened the calculator and at the top I see . . . .

Connecting . . . .

Connecting? TO WHAT?
    As amazing of a story this is, and as ridiculous as it sounds to have the calculator program spy on you... At this point, nothing would surprise me.

That was the last straw. No more paid updates, no more bloated software, no more proprietary pandering, I was done. I bought a new SSD, set up a dual boot, installed Ubuntu on the new drive, and the only reason I go back to Windows (SEVEN) is for a video editing app I haven't found an equivalent for. Like maybe twice a year, and then have to wade through the slow startup and nagware . . . .

Microsoft and Apple are following the ancient Roman model: they have grown too large and bloated, they don't care about their users, and it's all about the stats they bring to their marketing meetings and shareholders.

That is why I dumped Mac and Microsoft. And while I'm on the rant . . . . ADOBE is not far behind them. Subscriptions just to run software? REALLY?
    For most people, they don't know there are any alternatives. And even for the ones that do, switching is a very hard thing to do.

One of my jobs is producing a magazine, and that requires that I use Adobe Software. More accurately, InDesign. There are great alternatives to most Adobe Software. GIMP is a great alternative to Photoshop, and InkScape is a great alternative to Illustrator... but Scribus doesn't hold a candle to InDesign. For this reason alone, I am stuck with using Windows for my graphic design work. And in 2020, when Windows 7 reaches it's end-of-life, Adobe will not support it anymore. This will REQUIRE me to use Windows 10 in order to continue using InDesign.

So, all of these software companies have a new business model, and that is software-as-a-service. Pay-per-view software (which is monthly right now, but will eventually get to "per use"). And the simple fact of the matter is... They couldn't give a crap how you feel about it. If you don't like it, there are 10 more people who will go ahead and pony up the money anyway. They're not concerned with what YOU like, they're only concerned with what they can get away with.

Unfortunately, there are too many lazy and complacent people who have forgotten the true-power of boycotting. And the ones that choose Linux (in general) as their OS are the ones that are showing these software companies that they DO want to keep their privacy. To us, it's a statement... but to them, we're just a drop in the bucket.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

I think privacy is overrated. I think that no matter what they claim, they are always spying on you. Privacy is an illusion in a connected world.

I use Ubuntu because it stays out of my way. I don't need to reboot all the time. It does what I need easily. It all updates with 1 command. And I have no illusions that I am any more secure because of it.

It's a choice. Either way, they have you. You can try but you can't win. Money talks and unless you can read the source yourself you are no more informed than a Windows user on what your computer is really doing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I think privacy is overrated. I think that no matter what they claim, they are always spying on you. Privacy is an illusion in a connected world.

not overrated. it is misused as a word. they talk about privacy on Facebook for example.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast