Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Why do you choose Ubuntu but not Windows or MacOS?

For my self, it's as easy as a system built how I want it, not how they want me to have it.
    I'm also just not a fan of proprietary OS's. I have to use a couple at work but for the most part they are all Linux systems with extra.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

For browsing, mail, photos and media Linux does all I need. Added bonuses include free Ardour audio workstation and Hydrogen drum machine for recording original music.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I have used Linux (now Ubuntu MATE) for 9 years. It doesn't spy on my personal information, it is far more secure and stable, it is FREE, not just like free beer, but free as in freedom.

I can do anything I have every wanted my computer to do. NO malware, ever, for me in 9 years.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

So all recommendations are for using on old machines. How about a reason to NOT use Windows 10 on a newish ( 1-2 years old) machine ?
    Fiesty all the way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

All of my machines are newer, from 2014 and up, just don't get caught with newer hardware specs that have just been introduced (This is not Linux OS's fault but the manufacturers not supporting linux ). (Do your homework first before buying any new hardware)
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by abhaysahai View Post
    So all recommendations are for using on old machines. How about a reason to NOT use Windows 10 on a newish ( 1-2 years old) machine ?
    No, most of my reasons have nothing to do with old hardware. Seems you missed that.

* No spying by MSFT's "telemetry"
    * No forced patching on MSFT's terms. I patch weekly, on my terms.
    * package management is the killer app for me
    * 2 commands to update ALL THE SOFTWARE installed
    * Control over the GUI. There are 50 different GUIs for Unix systems, not just 1 like OSX or Windows.
    * Rock solid OS - no crashes if you need uptime.
    * When I restore a Linux backup, it actually works.
    * When I moved a HDD from 1 PC to another, it boots and can be used immediately.
    * No dealing with licenses or paying for everything
    * No need to reinstall every year to keep the OS fast
    * No need to call MSFT to beg for activation of a license - I have to do this with Windows.
    * I buy 1 piece of software a year. Tax software. Everything else installed with an OSI approved license.
    * Very little concern over viruses or malware like crypto-locker.
    * My servers all run F/LOSS - I self-host most of the services that I use, for $0 in software.
    * How much is MS-Exchange license? Using Zimbra.
    * How much MS-SQL server? Using Postgres.
    * Virtualization that runs fast.
    * Secure remote access without having to trust some 3rd party.
    * Linux works nicely in 15G of disk. Windows demands 60G+.
    * Linux VPNs are actually secure, unlike PPTP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My reasons to use Ubuntu 19.04 on my new Ryzen 3 2200G with 16 GB:

• It is free.
    • It is boringly reliable
    • Good support of even the latest Virtualbox
    • Support of minimal install for e.g. the Host of Virtualbox
    • It has excellent ZFS (Zeta File System) support, which means:
      • 3 level storage hierarchy; memory, SSD and HDDs on all systems;
      • Very fast boot and reboot times of Virtual Machines; Xubuntu reboots in 6 seconds and boots in 14 seconds.
      • Instantaneous response times in Virtual Machines, since they run from memory cache (Hit Rate ~93%)
      • Copy on Write, so no corruption of files due to power fails or crashes.
      • Super-fast snapshots
      • Fast Back-ups that only send the changed blocks to an USB disk or another system containing that backup.
      • Built in compression through all storage levels of memory, SSD and HDD and even to the back-up.
      • Raid support for unequal disks, I use left-overs 2.5" and 3.5" and 320, 500 and 1000 GB from Seagate and WD in a special kind of Raid-0 working as Raid-1 for read errors.
      • My old disks with 6 power-on years are defacto retired, since each one only serves 1%-2% of all disk IO, the remainder is served from memory and SSD caches.

• Efficient and unobtrusive system update.
    • The update also updates all applications.
    • Very good support for file sharing, including Windows file sharing.
    • Supports FAT and NTFS for e.g. USB disks/sticks.

I moved all disks from my 2008 HP dc5850 to the new Ryzen and the system booted without any issue. The system also worked good, only slightly slower on my 2008 HP with a 2010 Phenom II X4 B97 (3.2 GHz) and 8 GB DDR2. The system did run slower, because of PCIe 2.0 and a $8 SATA-3 card did slow down the SSD to 400 MB/s; the memory cache was half the size and the CPU had only half the speed of the Ryzen.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; June 16th, 2019 at 04:37 AM.

Beans

I never thought I would say this, but Ubuntu is far far far better than Mac in the fact that it lets you use your computer.

Mac has decreased what it used to do, which is provide an awesome operating system.

Now with Mojave and all that crap of metal 2 and Nvidia not being supported I am now forced to use AMD.

So I started looking at Ubuntu and Windows and a lot of different operating systems now have dark mode, so Mojave is not crucial for me anymore.

Plus docker runs so much better on Linux.

So I am seriously thinking building a new computer, I still want to install Mac on top of it, but I would use it just if I want to have a fun day and text my girlfriend while I code.

In the next year for my priority is really enjoy Linux and use it as much as possible, it's good for my career with all the servers and containers and Amazon AWS and everything going on, if you use Linux as your primary OS (unless I'm using financial software, in which case I will use Windows), it will be very beneficial.

I would say this is the most exciting time to use Linux in many, many, many years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbaez View Post
    I never thought I would say this, but Ubuntu is far far far better than Mac in the fact that it lets you use your computer.

Mac has decreased what it used to do, which is provide an awesome operating system.

Now with Mojave and all that crap of metal 2 and Nvidia not being supported I am now forced to use AMD.

So I started looking at Ubuntu and Windows and a lot of different operating systems now have dark mode, so Mojave is not crucial for me anymore.

Plus docker runs so much better on Linux.

So I am seriously thinking building a new computer, I still want to install Mac on top of it, but I would use it just if I want to have a fun day and text my girlfriend while I code.

In the next year for my priority is really enjoy Linux and use it as much as possible, it's good for my career with all the servers and containers and Amazon AWS and everything going on, if you use Linux as your primary OS (unless I'm using financial software, in which case I will use Windows), it will be very beneficial.

I would say this is the most exciting time to use Linux in many, many, many years.

Whats a good starting point to learn about Dockers ?
    Fiesty all the way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have a 2015 MBP and I think its great. Its a great desktop OS and graphics are great as well -- of course everything is tightly integrated. I run Ubuntu on many servers but I find using it primarily as a desktop tool -- many things just seem so 2005. Gnome/KDE - so unpolished. I like Cinnamon however it seems like an older desktop. Ubuntu does run great however on older hardware which is actually amazing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast