Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

Beans

Re: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

Quote Originally Posted by abhaysahai View Post
    You have nailed it.
    Exactly my feeling.
    Its surprising that after having used Ubuntu for 10 years, I could not find a logical reason to move away from Windows 10.
    I do miss that look and feel of Ubuntu, but that also happened within Ubuntu ( Unity to Gnome).
    Having said that, I do look forward to the next big update from Microsoft to see how Windows behaves.
    I'm looking for a reason to justify moving back, be it one single instance of Virus, one instance of a crash and I'll be back
    Ditto. I've been using Unix variants since 1986, loaded Slackware a number of times back in the day, and currently run Ubuntu desktop as a VM inside VirtualBox as well as Ubuntu server running on an old PC as a headless samba/miniDLNA server.

For some reason, I simply cannot pull the trigger on my primary desktop because I need it for applications that run great as-is (games, Quicken, Garmin app, scanning, photo editing) and don't feel up to the hoops I'd need to jump through to get that all working if possible.

I *may* put it on our kitchen all-in-one some day, because all that is used for is web browsing, playing music, and using the Google browser apps.

The VM is a great way to kick the tires on a distro!

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool Re: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

I agree with everyone else. It is up to the expectations of the user. My self I cringe when I have to do maintenance on my wife's windows 10 OS. Linux for me multi-boot all Linux. Windows 10 loads the screen fast, still takes about the same amount of time to completely load all of the OS. It suites her fine by me, tell she gets a windows popup screen from cortana program trying to take over the desktop. I will stay with Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The topic of this thread has been rehashed so many times, it has become repetitive, trite and boring.

The overriding principle is: use what works for you. If you like Windows, use Windows. If you like Linux, use Linux. It isn't a religion.

Having said that, the variations of "Windows is now as good as Linux" are really tiring, because such oversimplistic statements disingenuously ignore the real reasons Linux geeks use Linux. It's the same old shtick, constantly repackaged to put a new layer of lipstick on the same old pig:

• A few months ago, just for kicks and giggles, I—an ordinary Joe—built my own kernel from source in Arch. You can't do that with Windows.
    • I run 18 Linux VMs without having to pay anyone a red penny. You can't do that with Windows.
    • I freely download numerous distros and use them at will. You can't do that with Windows.
    • I can easily pick, choose and swap DEs, WMs and even kernels in any of my installations. You can't do that with Windows.
    • Every two years, over the Internet, I upgrade all of my boxes to the next LTS release including numerous servers, desktops and laptops with one simple command line instruction, all without having to lay out one plugged nickel. You can't do that with Windows.
    • I can run any distro I want without having to agree to some restrictive EULA that makes me feel like they are doing me a big stinking favour just permitting me to use their precious OS. You can't do that with Windows.
    • I've run my various boxes for over a decade without the frustrations of having to install, maintain and update antiviruses, antimalware, antihistimines and antibiotics. You can't do that with Windows.
    • In all the years that I've run ext filesystems, I've never had to defrag. Not once. You can't do that with Windows.
    • All of the apps that I use in my Linux boxes are free, in all senses of the word "free". You can't do that with Windows.
    • All of the apps in the repos along with the OS itself have their source code readily available so that anyone sufficiently knowledgeable can check for themselves if they contain any hidden nasties. You can't do that with Windows.
    • If I had the knowledge and the energy, I could freely fork any of the apps, the OS, the kernel itself into something more to my liking. You can't do that with Windows.

Dismissing all of the above (and more benefits that don't immediately spring to mind) as merely "geek cred" is incredibly cheeky, not to mention ridiculous.

Look. I have no problem with people who want to stick with Windows. Go nuts. Whatever floats your boat. But trying to fob off Windows as an OS that is on par with the Linux ecosystem is just patently absurd.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    ... so many good points follow those rolled eyes.
    The bullet containing "antihistimines and antibiotics" cracked me up .

Good post. Cheers, yeti.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, well said
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As an extension of my post above, I thought it would be interesting to try and quantify the savings that Linux has given me over the years. For anyone interested, it's in this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234