Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

Beans

Re: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

Recently, I purchased a PC with preloaded Win-10 on it. The system ran as expected and games loaded, as expected. The reason, though, that I wiped the the entire HD and refreshed it with Ubuntu was for the challenge of learning something new and advancing my skills.

While using Windows, though, I did find it kind of fun to download Ubuntu on the Windows system (since it is offered). It was just kind of strange feeling since it was kind of weird having Ubuntu & Bash running on a Windows Box.

Another reason why I left the Windows World for Linux-Ubuntu was the more secure sense I feel with Linux over the more exposed Windows systems. The draw back, currently, since I am a gamer and not knowing Linux well enough makes this tough, is that I am not able to game right from the get go. But, with patience I will gather the experience needed, over time.

To your points made, though, I do agree that Windows 10 (MS corp) has done a pretty good job with modernizing their system to run more efficiently and effectively. I am optimistic they will do better if they keep moving towards a more smoother and cleaner build focus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

For me W10 updates are a real nightmare keeping my PC useless for hours
    and downloading Gb of stuff without any result.
    Also there are some stupid limitations like opening PDF with anything else than Edge.
    Or formatting in FAT32 a 64Gb dongle or SDcard.
    It keeps "updating" working DVBT drivers with 2 years older useless ones.
    Some of my USB stuff are unsupported but OK with ubuntu.
    Happy user of Ubuntu-20.04 on a Beelink BT3pro mini PC

Beans

If you like it, you like it . . . . I would **strongly** suggest doing a search for "Windows 10 install top things" and you will find many articles on what you should do immediately if you haven't already.

The biggest "concern" with Windows 10 is in respect (or its disrespect) for privacy. The search above will list out a lot of programs (or apps, or whatever) that do a "phone home" every time you run them.

I went for the free trial way back when. The final stroke for me was the most simple thing, the calculator. After spending a lot of time turning things off, disabling other things, just when I thought I had it under control I launched the calculator. At the top it said

"Connecting . . . ."

Connecting . . . to what, and why, for a simple calculator app? I guess for most users it boils down to trust. That, and being forced to use an online account if you need to reset your password (to be fair, this has been in place [at least] since Windows 8.)

Since I've gone over to Ubuntu I almost never boot into Windows, I can even access all my old Windows files from the desktop.

Beans

Yeah, Windows has been doing a fantastic job. I also love their Office suite. Far less bugs than before.

I think for everyday personal usage, you can use either Windows or Ubuntu, and there's very little difference.

But in the business setting, if everyone around you uses PowerPoint, then it's best to use Windows so you can use the same version of PowerPoint to not mess up the formatting. And if you're on the coding side where you work with servers, then it's best to use Ubuntu so you can keep the development and production environment aligned.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xavierbaez View Post
    I changed because of Docker.
    You do know you can run Docker on Mac and PC as well, correct? I work with a company that is largely based in Macintosh, but there are Windows machines there as well. Everything runs through docker. This is implemented with make.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    You do know you can run Docker on Mac and PC as well, correct? I work with a company that is largely based in Macintosh, but there are Windows machines there as well. Everything runs through docker. This is implemented with make.
    The user went on to say...
    ...so I switched to Linux when I am programming.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Has anyone else noticed how sweet Linux will run with win10 as host?

Glitchy touchpad problems disappear. Bluetooth just works. Video...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gargarr View Post
    Recently, I purchased a PC with preloaded Win-10 on it. The system ran as expected and games loaded, as expected. The reason, though, that I wiped the the entire HD and refreshed it with Ubuntu was for the challenge of learning something new and advancing my skills.
    you can do that in virtual machines. in fact there you can easily load different OS. And the PC doesn't have to be to strong. i mean, if i could do it on my 15 year old single core PC with winxp installed...
    i had centOS loaded, Opensuse. Xubuntu, a few GUI server distributions, test server...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

We had a Windows 10 Laptop, and I so hated that Platform, the Updates are what made go "What on Earth?" and finally reformat the Hard Drive and put Linux Mint 19.2 Lisa Cinnamon on in. The Updates are much better handled (they do not cause computer downtime) whereas the Windows OS updates takes computer time from the user.

But if Windows 10 rocks you boat, so be it, have fun.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; October 29th, 2019 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by freddy58 View Post
    We had a Windows 10 Laptop, and I so hated that Platform, the Updates are what made go "What on Earth?" and finally reformat the Hard Drive and put Linux Mint 19.2 Lisa Cinnamon on in. The Updates are much better handled (they do not cause computer downtime) whereas the Windows OS updates takes computer time from the user.

i would say that along with privacy concerns is the main issue of the OS. Solve that and Win 10 would be great.

i spent 3,5 hours at work waiting for updates to finish and they went from company "mirror server". i guess we have money to pay for that downtime.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast