Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

I'm a long time Ubuntu user. I old Dell laptop still runs it perfectly. My office does not allows me to RDP ( using RAS) from Linux, so used to dual boot with Windows 7.
    Other than office, most of my work was on Ubuntu.
    Mostly used Gimp and Krita for my creative expression and impressing my kids

Last month, I saw a great deal on Dell outlet and bought a desktop which was "As new" with config, i7 8700, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and GTX 1070 8GB. Its not a very fast system, but a great upgrade for me.
    It came pre-loaded with Windows 10. Just for fun and maybe for a change, I had decided to give Windows 10 a try for 1 month. After 1 month, here are my observations ::

1) Boot up time is amazingly fast, almost instant. That could be due to newer hardware, but I never experienced such quick boot time. Just to check, I have booted from USB having Ubuntu and Ubuntu boot from USB is much slower.
    2) Updates are painless. I receive notifications and have configured to "Update and shutdown" which I do while logging off for the day. Updates are predownloaded so takes a few minutes to update and shutdown.
    3) System is rock stable and amazingly fast. Never experienced the slowness that I always felt with Windows 7. No crashes.
    4) No anti-virus required. Windows 10 comes with Defender which does the job perfectly with very low resource utilization.
    5) All my favorite software are present and work as good as they did on Ubuntu. Gimp, Krita, Audacity and even Blender.

My one month trial is over and I see NO reason why I should change my operating system. No need to dual boot is an added advantage.
    I know that many will say that with time Windows 10 will start showing issues like crashes/Viruses etc. However, I have checked with couple of friends who are running Windows 10 since more than a year and they have encountered no issues. Trick is to allow Auto-update and Windows 10 runs like a charm.
    Fiesty all the way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

It's entirely over to you which OS you run. If Windows 10 does what you want in the way you want, then keep on running it.
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions
    BACKUP before installing or upgrading.

Beans

It's entirely your decision but since you asked for opinions....
    Last MS OS I used was XP so can't comment on the performance of 10 but my change to Linux wasn't about performance anyway.
    It was about regaining ownership of the PC I built, from a software vendor with restrictive practices...plus I like the geek cred.
    Last edited by again?; June 14th, 2019 at 04:10 AM.

Beans

If you are happy with Win 10, that is very good. On the fast boot up times, Win 10 usually has 'fast boot' enabled which puts machine in hibernation mode, instead of complete shutdown. 'Fast boot' is found in power settings, but might be hidden. SSDs are known for fast boot ups.

Beans

I do hope it works out for you. Watch out for the major update and be prepared to wait 30 minutes to an hour...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional upgrades on several 2010 desktops although I have zero complaints with Windows 10 I find that I have no reason to use Windows 10 as Linux does everything I need to do on my computers.

Bottom line for me if Microsoft wants to give out free Windows upgrades I'll take them as I don't have to use them.

Use what you are most comfortable using and works best for your computer needs.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The biggest factor that is drawing me back to Ubuntu is that I'm used to of Ubuntu since 2008, its just a more familiar system.
    Also most of my friends know me as "Linux Guy", its kind of shameful if they see Windows on my desktop
    Fiesty all the way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Win 10 cumulative updates were a problem on one dual boot . For some reason grub was not letting Windows updates complete and I finally found a work around using easy bcd . If I have difficulty again I'll just keep it as Windows machine since I need the software and am tired of installing or fixing Windows 10.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; June 15th, 2019 at 12:02 AM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I'm thinking I'll be switching to W10 when it's time for me to upgrade. I have no philosophical reason to stay. The only compelling reason I have is shared libraries. I read a forum post about how Chromium is going to a snap package in Ubuntu. It will only snowball from there. Once snap / flatpak / appimage take over shared libraries are gone save for a few things. That was my big linux selling point. Without that I see no reason to hamstring myself on software, games primarily. I love Linux and it will remain on my server. But for desktop use it's getting harder to justify staying on it. PlayOnLinux & Wine only do so much.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; June 15th, 2019 at 12:20 AM.

Beans

If it suits your needs, roll with it. Don't forget that Windows 10 also has the linux subsystem available.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast