Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

Beans

Re: Why change from Windows 10 on a fast desktop ?

Quote Originally Posted by abhaysahai View Post
    I'm a long time Ubuntu user. I old Dell laptop still runs it perfectly. My office does not allows me to RDP ( using RAS) from Linux, so used to dual boot with Windows 7.
    Other than office, most of my work was on Ubuntu.
    Mostly used Gimp and Krita for my creative expression and impressing my kids

Last month, I saw a great deal on Dell outlet and bought a desktop which was "As new" with config, i7 8700, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and GTX 1070 8GB. Its not a very fast system, but a great upgrade for me.
    It came pre-loaded with Windows 10. Just for fun and maybe for a change, I had decided to give Windows 10 a try for 1 month. After 1 month, here are my observations ::

1) Boot up time is amazingly fast, almost instant. That could be due to newer hardware, but I never experienced such quick boot time. Just to check, I have booted from USB having Ubuntu and Ubuntu boot from USB is much slower.
    2) Updates are painless. I receive notifications and have configured to "Update and shutdown" which I do while logging off for the day. Updates are predownloaded so takes a few minutes to update and shutdown.
    3) System is rock stable and amazingly fast. Never experienced the slowness that I always felt with Windows 7. No crashes.
    4) No anti-virus required. Windows 10 comes with Defender which does the job perfectly with very low resource utilization.
    5) All my favorite software are present and work as good as they did on Ubuntu. Gimp, Krita, Audacity and even Blender.

My one month trial is over and I see NO reason why I should change my operating system. No need to dual boot is an added advantage.
    I know that many will say that with time Windows 10 will start showing issues like crashes/Viruses etc. However, I have checked with couple of friends who are running Windows 10 since more than a year and they have encountered no issues. Trick is to allow Auto-update and Windows 10 runs like a charm.
    I have been using windows 10 for like around 2 years and it is solid stable now. I think the only reasons the use Ubuntu are:
    1. tech people love to use "real tech stuff"
    2. you want to learn Linux through really using it
    3. Ubuntu is real free, yeah there is way to get Windows 10 free but it would be tricky.

For just convenient or normal daily usage or work, no point to use anything other than Windows 10.

MacOS should be mainly for being cool, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    I have been using windows 10 for like around 2 years and it is solid stable now. I think the only reasons the use Ubuntu are:
    1. tech people love to use "real tech stuff"
    2. you want to learn Linux through really using it
    3. Ubuntu is real free, yeah there is way to get Windows 10 free but it would be tricky.

For just convenient or normal daily usage or work, no point to use anything other than Windows 10.

MacOS should be mainly for being cool, lol.
    You have nailed it.
    Exactly my feeling.
    Its surprising that after having used Ubuntu for 10 years, I could not find a logical reason to move away from Windows 10.
    I do miss that look and feel of Ubuntu, but that also happened within Ubuntu ( Unity to Gnome).
    Having said that, I do look forward to the next big update from Microsoft to see how Windows behaves.
    I'm looking for a reason to justify moving back, be it one single instance of Virus, one instance of a crash and I'll be back
    Fiesty all the way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by abhaysahai View Post
    1) Boot up time is amazingly fast, almost instant. That could be due to newer hardware, but I never experienced such quick boot time. Just to check, I have booted from USB having Ubuntu and Ubuntu boot from USB is much slower.
    2) Updates are painless. I receive notifications and have configured to "Update and shutdown" which I do while logging off for the day. Updates are predownloaded so takes a few minutes to update and shutdown.
    3) System is rock stable and amazingly fast. Never experienced the slowness that I always felt with Windows 7. No crashes.
    4) No anti-virus required. Windows 10 comes with Defender which does the job perfectly with very low resource utilization.
    5) All my favorite software are present and work as good as they did on Ubuntu. Gimp, Krita, Audacity and even Blender.
    AD. 1. I have a new PC an entry level Ryzen 3 2200G and I use a 128GB SATA-SSD for booting. My system starts instantaneous in the morning too, after I push the power key. Normally at night my Ubuntu system suspends itself, if I do not use it for an hour. Suspend stops all power to the system, except to memory. From suspend it will restart instantaneous the next morning. Windows uses a comparable trick if you "power off" the system, it is called hibernation. Normally my Ubuntu 19.04 boots in 18 seconds, including typing the password. That is a real boot from scratch not a wake up from hibernation or suspend. Of course if you boot from USB, it will be much slower. It requires an extra step and boot times depend for 80% on your disk/SSD speed. If you do not use the same disk/SSD in the same configuration, you are comparing apples and pears. And if you compare Windows hibernation with USB boot, you compare melons with cherries
    AD.2. You were lucky, many people had problems again with the Windows update. I run Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine and my update in May crashed the system and I had to restore from a backup and I blocked the updates for 2 weeks and then the problem had been solved.
    AD.3. The speed has been caused by your i7 and 16GB memory and has nothing to do with Windows 10. I run Windows 7 and Windows 10 in the 'same' virtual machine and there is no significant difference.
    AD.4. Windows 7 has the same with Microsoft Essentials and Defender. For Windows 10 you also need both!! Linux does not really need it that much, because Linux is better protected.
    AD.5. Those Apps will work even better using Ubuntu with your new SSD and with your new i7.

The improvements you noticed have nothing to do with Windows 10, but everything with your new hardware and the hibernation trick of Microsoft.

Sometimes dual booting with Windows causes problems after Windows updates, I always advice to use e.g. Virtualbox to run Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine under Windows or the other way around. Nowadays a virtual machine will run almost at native speed with the exception of the video card.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; June 16th, 2019 at 06:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    AD. 1. I have a new PC an entry level Ryzen 3 2200G and I use a 128GB SATA-SSD for booting. My system starts instantaneous in the morning too, after I push the power key. Normally at night my Ubuntu system suspends itself, if I do not use it for an hour. Suspend stops all power to the system, except to memory. From suspend it will restart instantaneous the next morning. Windows uses a comparable trick if you "power off" the system, it is called hibernation. Normally my Ubuntu 19.04 boots in 18 seconds, including typing the password. That is a real boot from scratch not a wake up from hibernation or suspend. Of course if you boot from USB, it will be much slower. It requires an extra step and boot times depend for 80% on your disk/SSD speed. If you do not use the same disk/SSD in the same configuration, you are comparing apples and pears. And if you compare Windows hibernation with USB boot, you compare melons with cherries
    AD.2. You were lucky, many people had problems again with the Windows update. I run Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine and my update in May crashed the system and I had to restore from a backup and I blocked the updates for 2 weeks and then the problem had been solved.
    AD.3. The speed has been caused by your i7 and 16GB memory and has nothing to do with Windows 10. I run Windows 7 and Windows 10 in the 'same' virtual machine and there is no significant difference.
    AD.4. Windows 7 has the same with Microsoft Essentials and Defender. For Windows 10 you also need both!! Linux does not really need it that much, because Linux is better protected.
    AD.5. Those Apps will work even better using Ubuntu with your new SSD and with your new i7.

The improvements you noticed have nothing to do with Windows 10, but everything with your new hardware and the hibernation trick of Microsoft.

Sometimes dual booting with Windows causes problems after Windows updates, I always advice to use e.g. Virtualbox to run Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine under Windows or the other way around. Nowadays a virtual machine will run almost at native speed with the exception of the video card.
    The SSD has brought the boot time different or any load time different to very small different. For just getting work done and not care about learning Linux or being "real tech dude uses real tech OS", I don't see why someone uses Ubuntu/Linux but not Windows 10/MacOS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    The SSD has brought the boot time different or any load time different to very small different. For just getting work done and not care about learning Linux or being "real tech dude uses real tech OS", I don't see why someone uses Ubuntu/Linux but not Windows 10/MacOS.
    If you don't play games or use software that only runs on Windows, no need to run Windows.
    Linux is not for everyone but for those that want to take the time to learn it's very rewarding.

These sorts of threads are pointless.
    If you run Linux you know why...
    most people running Widows don't even question why, because they aren't aware or interested in alternatives as Windows is a computer to them.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by guber2 View Post
    If you don't play games or use software that only runs on Windows, no need to run Windows.
    Linux is not for everyone but for those that want to take the time to learn it's very rewarding.

I can agree with this. Even though I am likely going back to Windows on my upgrade learning to use and seeing the possibilities of open source has been amazing. I've done things with my htpc / server I never considered possible for myself. Has opened many doors, including at one point a well paying job (had to quit for ethical reasons). There really is no end to the possibilities with Linux and open source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

j2ee Glad to see that you agree with me. The increased speed has nothing to do with Windows 10 or Windows 7 or Linux, but everything with the speed of the SSD or the use of hibernation.

"real tech dude uses real tech OS" that must be a great frustration of you from pre-historic times. Everybody uses Linux, grand mothers, mothers and children, because it is easier than Windows for day to day stuff for especially new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I prefer Ubuntu to Windows, simple. I originally wanted a Windows alternative due to my distaste of Microsoft's business ethics - or lack thereof. I guess I was ahead of the curve, not wanting to give my money to hairballs. Now I have a Windows install on a laptop because I need to interact with some hardware that only works on Windows and none too well at that.

Beans

I changed because of Docker.

Docker is so amazing having multiple distros of Linux in one host, without virtualization, it's just incredible.

I really enjoy that, and makes developing a pleasure.

And it's good for my career to understand micro-services and Docker, so I switched to Linux when I am programming.

I still think Windows 10 will be the OS of choice because of all the financial software, but I will do everything with Docker and everything that I am learning in Linux Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    j2ee Glad to see that you agree with me. The increased speed has nothing to do with Windows 10 or Windows 7 or Linux, but everything with the speed of the SSD or the use of hibernation.

"real tech dude uses real tech OS" that must be a great frustration of you from pre-historic times. Everybody uses Linux, grand mothers, mothers and children, because it is easier than Windows for day to day stuff for especially new users.
    My Firm ( having aprox. 91000 employees) has stopped allowing connecting from home using Linux. Till 2017 they used to allow, but did a survey and found that less than 1% of people who connect from home, use Linux. The support was withdrawn.
    Now we can connect from home using either OSX or Windows, making Windows mandatory for me. Linux is easy to use but its not as widespread as I would like it to be.

My intention with this thread was to get some practical reason of preferring Ubuntu over Windows 10.
    1) Two commands will update ALL installed applications sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade. Or a simple update and upgrade in a package manager. This is against updating individual applications in windows.
    2) If you don't like Gnome, replace it with XFCE or KDE or .... Choice is your.
    3) ZFS is faster, although with SSD Windows 10 in itself is very fast.
    4) Ubuntu has got one of the most friendly user community, if there is issue there will be a solution
    5) No need to shutdown, ubuntu on my OLD laptop has uptime of 31 days and still smooth.
    6) Stick to LTS and have a rock solid OS is a BIG selling point of Ubuntu. Upgrading Ubuntu from one version to another is one area where I had faced issues multiple times, most solution said that a clean install is the best way. Hence, I had decided to stick with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and even today it just works fine.
    Fiesty all the way

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast