Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation Lubuntu 19.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installation Lubuntu 19.04

Have you considered just installing Ubuntu to an external drive?
    Your MMC is small and you have very little room for anything.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Am I correct in thinking that you have a 32GB MMC soldered drive in a cheap and cheerful netbook?

Windows OS and its Recovery Partitions will take up approx 20-21GB, so your original post where you mention 9.2GB of available free space is correct?

It would be possible to squeeze Lubuntu or Xubuntu Core https://unit193.net/xubuntu/core/ in the free space but you would have very little room for personal data etc.

If you decide to proceed with a Dual Boot, it is often advised to use the Windows tools to shrink the Windows partition.

Before you install anything, have you checked that your wifi, sound, resolution etc. are OK in a Lubuntu live session?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Have you considered just installing Ubuntu to an external drive?
    Your MMC is small and you have very little room for anything.
    Hum...since it's a computer for traveling/using in the train/metro, I will prefer to not use an external drive. That's why I'm also open to replace Windows for Lubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that you have a 32GB MMC soldered drive in a cheap and cheerful netbook?

Windows OS and its Recovery Partitions will take up approx 20-21GB, so your original post where you mention 9.2GB of available free space is correct?

It would be possible to squeeze Lubuntu or Xubuntu Core https://unit193.net/xubuntu/core/ in the free space but you would have very little room for personal data etc.

If you decide to proceed with a Dual Boot, it is often advised to use the Windows tools to shrink the Windows partition.

Before you install anything, have you checked that your wifi, sound, resolution etc. are OK in a Lubuntu live session?
    Yes. it's very bad in terms of space.

Yes. 9.2 is the space left

I'm really considering to replace Windows 10 for Lubunu. Until now everything is working faster and smooth, only the sound is mute still, but I didn't look for drivers, etc. Do you think this could be a problem if I go for a full installation?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by semptoshiro View Post
    Until now everything is working faster and smooth, only the sound is mute still, but I didn't look for drivers, etc. Do you think this could be a problem if I go for a full installation?
    Yes, I do consider that sound could be a problem if you proceed with a full installation. Sound is a bit of a pain to troubleshoot. Are you sure that it is not completely muted?

What is the make/model of your device?

I don't have Lubuntu on my pc so I'm not familiar with the sound settings that it uses.

Anyway, here is a suggestion:-

Boot up a live Lubuntu session
    Plug in some headphones - recognised?
    Install pavucontrol (if it is not already present in Lubuntu) to see if there any settings that allow sound to function. (Pavucontrol has more fine tuning)

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

According to this it should be installed by default:
    https://manual.lubuntu.me/2/2.5/2.5....e_control.html

The main manual should be of help in many situations:
    https://manual.lubuntu.me/index.html

Beans

Hi all,

As most part of you recommended, before to go for a full installation of Lubuntu, I've been trying to make the sound work....and not being successful until now.
    Something that I was wondering: most part of the changes/updates request a reboot. Since I'm running from a flash drive, when I do a reboot, this one effectively counts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Any changes made during the live session will be lost when you reboot (unless you set up persistence on the USB).

But if you found a solution that works it should also work on a normal install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    But if you found a solution that works it should also work on a normal install.
    Yes. That's my problem. I don't know if everything that I've been trying, didn't work until now because I couldn't complete the reboot process. Or do you think isn't crucial to make changes in the sound configuration?

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

You still have not told us the make/model of your device?

Did you plug in some headphones to check if sound is activated?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast