Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Boot: The 'grub-efi-amd-64-signed' package failed to install into /target/

Beans

Dual Boot: The 'grub-efi-amd-64-signed' package failed to install into /target/

Hello!

Over the last week, I've struggled tremendously trying to dual boot my Asus VivioX541 with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.
    I'm booting in UEFI mode, and I have three partitions ready for Ubuntu: ext4, swp and efi. When it tries to install 'grub2' package, I get the following error:
    Code:
    The 'grub-efi-amd-64-signed' package failed to install into /target/
    I've literally tried every solution I could find on the internet with no success. I've attached a condensed version of the /var/log/syslog (syslog_condensed.txt) just in case (I filtered out most of the ubuntu-kernel stuff leaving just the part where it tries to install grub...); in particular, it contains the error line in question:
    Code:
    Jun 12 04:10:05 ubuntu grub-installer: info: Calling 'apt-install grub-efi-amd64-signed' failed
    Potato quality of my partitions... I'm using sda7 for ext4, sda6 for swap, and sda5 for efi.
    image1.jpgimage2.jpg

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by dethrone; 4 Days Ago at 06:11 AM.

Beans

Re: Dual Boot: The 'grub-efi-amd-64-signed' package failed to install into /target/

The standard method for installing Ubuntu on a system with an EFI install of windows is to install Grub files into a folder created by the Ubuntu installer on the already existing EFI partition. Your EFI partition (sda4) already has the windows boot files. You also have two other EFI partitions (sda5 and sda8) which are not necessary and should not be there. You can mount each partition and check to see if Ubuntu EFI files are installed on any. They should be on sda4 and the other two EFI partitions should not exist.

Beans

Re: Dual Boot: The 'grub-efi-amd-64-signed' package failed to install into /target/

Hi Yancek,

Thanks for the reply. I can try later completely deleting the other two EFI partitions. But I have already tried de-selecting all the other EFI partitions during the installation process by "Do not use this partition" and only using sda4 which did not help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu installer only finds one ESP - efi system partition, and it uses default, not sure how it selects. I have found a work around for installs to second or external drives.

Posted work around to manually unmount & mount correct ESP during install
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...y/+bug/1396379

Otherwise if dual booting you generally want to have just one ESP per drive. Most systems will not work if more than one ESP seen.

You probably have to totally reinstall grub, so GUID that your UEFI uses to find ESP is correct partition. And ESP needs to have both Windows /EFI/Microsoft & /EFI/ubuntu folders.

If still issues, but autofix is not always correct, sometimes you need to use advanced mode to make full set of fixes.
    May be best to see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not older Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), the auto fix sometimes can create more issues.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair &
    https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you everyone for your answers; however, I am still seeing this error.

I reformatted my entire hard-drive and repeated the entire process. This is what my partitions look like:
    filesystem.png

A few notes:

1. I always have to add 'pci=nomsi' to my grub boot option in order for the partitions on my disk to be seen (e.g otherwise, when I press "Something else" for the installation no partitions appear).
    2. Looks like my EFI partition is formatted 'vfat' instead of 'fat32'; is that an issue?
    3. I only have one EFI partition now, and I have verified it contains both EFI/microsoft and EFI/ubuntu.

What is the next thing I should try?

4. Oldfred, you mention a workaround in your answer:

1 mount
    2 sudo umount /target/boot/efi
    3 sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /target/boot/efi
    4 mount

But when I use my USB installation media, I have no access to the ubuntu terminal to enter these. So where do I enter these?

5. "You probably have to totally reinstall grub". How do I do this without access to ubuntu terminal?

Beans

An update:

I chose the option "Try Ubuntu..." with pci=nomsi and ran "ubiquity -b" in the terminal.
    Here's my setup:

setup.png

246 GB ext4 mounted on /
    16 GB swap
    104 MB EFI

I am pretty sure that the installer is actually mounting on the right partitions, including EFI. This is what I see during the ubiquity installation, after I select "Something else...":

filesystem1.png
    We see /target/boot/efi is mounted on the EFI partition / Windows Boot Partition.
    We see /target mounted on the 246 GB partition.

But, I get a new error from this:

newerror.png

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Your Windows 10 does not look like an UEFI install.
    Is or was drive MBR? You normally would have ESP as first or second and Windows required a Microsoft reserved before the first NTFS partition with UEFI. With BIOS you normally have a Boot partition and the main or c: drive partition. But boot partition is not required.

I always boot into live mode and open terminal first thing. Then click on the install icon.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi oldfred, thanks for the reply!

My partition is definitely GPT / GUID partition style - I'm assuming that means it was a UEFI install.
    ESP is the second drive on my disk (sda2), but if you think my partition layout looks wrong, perhaps I downloaded the wrong iso.
    I can't remember where I downloaded this iso from or which options I chose, but this is what the filesystem looks like:
    gpt.PNG

I think I used Microsoft's MediaCreationTool to create this installer which technically should have support for both UEFI and BIOS. Or would using something like Rufus be better where I can tell it I just want UEFI support? Maybe I should redownload the Windows installer and try everything again?
    Last edited by dethrone; 1 Day Ago at 01:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If drive is gpt and Windows boots, then it has to be UEFI as Windows only boots in UEFI mode from gpt (and only in BIOS from MBR).
    So then you want Ubuntu in UEFI boot mode. And how you boot install media UEFI or BIOS is then how it installs.

You should only have one ESP - efi system partition per drive and now with 18.04 or later so not need a swap partition as it uses a swap file.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace
    UEFI/gpt partitioning in Advance:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/74309...-pc-for-ubuntu

Shows installer with screen shots. Both BIOS purple accessibility screen & UEFI black grub menu screen
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    Also shows Windows 10 screens or similar to Windows 8
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/2218...s-10-with-uefi

Also more info in link in my signature.

Beans

Hi oldfred, thanks for the help!

I read through all the links, but I'm still getting these errors.
    I tried something new from this link: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1028...install-target

Basically, I'm running the installer manually:
    Code:
    sudo ubiquity -b
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt
    sudo mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi
    for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done

sudo modprobe efivars
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi-amd64-signed
    One modification - I had to remount /dev/sda6 with "rw" permissions because otherwise it wouldn't let me modify/install anything in /mnt.
    However, whenever I run either

Code:
    sudo grub-install --no-nvram --root-directory=/mnt
    or
    Code:
    update-grub
    I get the error:
    Code:
    Generating grub configuration file ...
    error: cannot read 'dev/sda': Input/output error.
    These are the same errors I get when I run installer directly from the USB (I verified this by reading through the /var/log/syslogs, attached earlier).
    I don't think there's anything wrong with my hard-drive...
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sda6

229287 inodes used (1.53%, out of 15024128)
              53 non-contiguous files (0.0%)
             208 non-contiguous directories (0.1%)
                 # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
                 Extent depth histogram: 181766/8
         2313940 blocks used (3.85%, out of 60093696)
               0 bad blocks
               1 large file

140110 regular files
           24573 directories
              54 character device files
              25 block device files
               0 fifos
               2 links
           64516 symbolic links (47426 fast symbolic links)
               0 sockets
    ------------
          229280 files
    And
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sda6
    e2fsck 1.42.13 (17-May-2015)
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information

229287 inodes used (1.53%, out of 15024128)
              53 non-contiguous files (0.0%)
             208 non-contiguous directories (0.1%)
                 # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 0/0/0
                 Extent depth histogram: 181766/8
         2313940 blocks used (3.85%, out of 60093696)
               0 bad blocks
               1 large file

140110 regular files
           24573 directories
              54 character device files
              25 block device files
               0 fifos
               2 links
           64516 symbolic links (47426 fast symbolic links)
               0 sockets
    ------------
          229280 files
    Last edited by dethrone; 11 Hours Ago at 04:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast